Give it a rest!!

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
Garryboy

Give it a rest!!

Postby Garryboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 22:18 pm

So, this is my first 'serious' attempt at structured training over the winter period.

I'm using trainer road and following the included base plan I, which I'm just about done and will move on to base II.

I'm able to do about 5 sessions a week, so I've also been doing some sufferfest vids alongside the plan.

My question is about rest/recovery - I find it difficult to take a day off, even when I'm feeling tired - not sure why really, i'm just keen to improve and stupidly I feel a bit guilty when I take a day off!

Anyone else get this - how do you ensure you get adequate recovery in your training.

Herbsman

Re: Give it a rest!!

Postby Herbsman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 00:13 am

Get a life
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sat Nov 17, 2012 08:06 am

Pedal softly
I Like Black Bikes

mattshrops

Postby mattshrops » Sat Nov 17, 2012 14:03 pm

What he said ^
If you really cant have a day off, have an easy day.
Death or Glory- Just another Story

dzp1

Postby dzp1 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 19:41 pm

Garryboy wrote:So, this is my first 'serious' attempt at structured training over the winter period.

I'm using trainer road and following the included base plan I, which I'm just about done and will move on to base II.

I'm able to do about 5 sessions a week, so I've also been doing some sufferfest vids alongside the plan.

My question is about rest/recovery - I find it difficult to take a day off, even when I'm feeling tired - not sure why really, i'm just keen to improve and stupidly I feel a bit guilty when I take a day off!

Anyone else get this - how do you ensure you get adequate recovery in your training.

Most good riders train for 3 weeks and then take one week easy. So I might do 90 mins to 2 hours tempo on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and then 3 or 4 hours easy on Sunday. If you're new to cycling then about half that volume would be a good start. At the end of the 3 weeks you should be completely hanging but not from thrashing yourself, but from doing those sessions consistently at the prescribed intensity. Then you take a week off (meaning you roughly half the hours and do them all at easy (75%) pace). THen you do it all again. Does that make sense ?

Brewsterwmb

Postby Brewsterwmb » Mon Nov 19, 2012 20:29 pm

how do i ensure you get adequate recovery from my training? I rest. completely, be it for a day or for a couple. Treat that day to eat more cake, less cake, core exercises find some head space, clean the bike, get kit ready for next event... muscle need rest, so do you. try it, you might like it...

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:10 am

You can only get fitter by adequate rest after intervals of training... Fact
It is our bodies ability to mend damaged and build tissue after stress that enables extra work to be achieved over time.

As with all of these posts the type of training for the type of cycling aimed for depends on what training/rest periods dictate. There is also one very important other fact that should be factored into a work pattern and that is a persons natural ability to rebuild after sessions of training, this is also influenced by age, diet, genetics, environment and suitability of training techniques.

There is one sure way to help this process and that is build up gradually with small increases in work load over time.

But rest is a must :wink:

danowat

Postby danowat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:18 am

Ron Stuart wrote:You can only get fitter by adequate RECOVERY after intervals of training... Fact

But RECOVERY is a must :wink:

Corrected, recovery doesn't mean REST

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:13 pm

danowat wrote:
Ron Stuart wrote:You can only get fitter by adequate RECOVERY after intervals of training... Fact

But RECOVERY is a must :wink:

Corrected, recovery doesn't mean REST

The OP's thread refers to Rest and I refer to the verb Rest which means to cease work or movement in order to relax, refresh oneself, or recover strength.

Corrected, to enable recovery there is a need to Rest by definition. Fact

danowat

Postby danowat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 pm

You stated you need to rest to improve, you don't, you need to recover, recovery doesn't have to include total rest, if the OP is loathed to rest, he can continue to cycle (albeit at a reduced effort level) and still recover.

Rest isn't a must, recovery is.

Garryboy

Postby Garryboy » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks to all - yes, for me it's sometimes that I don't want to rest - I guess I'm probably a bit obsessive with stuff, I'm not training for racing - just for me. However, sometimes if I don't get a session in I feel a it guilty.

Good example was Sunday - I rested completely on Saturday (other than being taxi for kids etc) and despite a bit of a late night, should have been ok for my Sunday session - but I failed miserably..I kinda knew I was going to fail (or at least not do well), but went ahead and did it anyway...

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/106878

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:49 pm

dzp1 wrote:Most good riders train for 3 weeks and then take one week easy.

Really?
More problems but still living....

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:55 pm

amaferanga wrote:

Really?

+1

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:58 pm

amaferanga wrote:

Really?

No, its utter fcuking nonsense.
I Like Black Bikes

dzp1

Postby dzp1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 15:10 pm

Hutch trains that way and so do plenty others. In fact you'd be hard pushed to find a coach that doesn't build in an easy week every few weeks or so. If you do find one, sack him.

dzp1

Postby dzp1 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 15:21 pm

Quick example - this guy is fast

http://www.strava.com/athletes/173666

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Tue Nov 20, 2012 16:19 pm

OP - you are following a generic plan and adding in extra (hard) workouts on top. i.e. you are not following a plan at all. Making a plan that includes recovery will allow you to get more out of your workouts.

Having said that, maybe what you are doing is ok if you are not over fatigued. Any decent volume of training will probably mean you have to train when tired sometimes.

dw300

Postby dw300 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 18:54 pm

OP - decrease intensity (whilst retaining a good spread of low, medium and high intensity work) and you can actually ride more, and possibly benefit more. Low intensity work should provide benefits and allow recovery from high intensity work. Problem solved.
All the above is just advice .. you can do whatever the f*ck you wana do!
Bike Radar Strava Club
The Northern Ireland Thread

Ron Stuart

Postby Ron Stuart » Tue Nov 20, 2012 19:46 pm

In other words have a rest from flogging yourself to death now and again :shock:

Tom Dean

Postby Tom Dean » Tue Nov 20, 2012 19:51 pm

:? it sounds like OP is already training every day. Decreasing intensity with the aim of increasing volume doesn't seem like it would be helpful.

This
dw300 wrote:Low intensity work should provide benefits and allow recovery from high intensity work. Problem solved.
, is a big mistake IMO. A session is for training adaptation OR recovery, not both. This is a great way to generate a lot of fatigue for minimal benefit.

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”