Newbie-- CAAD10 105 Vs Synapse 105 Carbon

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
benjid

Newbie-- CAAD10 105 Vs Synapse 105 Carbon

Postby benjid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 00:15 am

OK, first off please forgive me if I ask any stupid questions.....I'm a newbie!!

I am buying my first road bike and have narrowed my serious list down to the CAAD 10 or the Synapse Carbon, both with the 105 component group. I'm also planning on testing the Giant Defy and TCR, but am leaning heavily towards either of the Cannondale after my initial test rides.

First some background... I've been riding a Specialized Sirius (hybrid) for about 4 years now and really love cycling. It's been a great bike but I'm now ready to take the next step to a road bike.

And my goals.... I'm 43 and want to be able to do group rides of 30-60 miles (starting slowly). I don't picture myself racing or doing anything competitive. I just enjoy riding and want to be able to do so with a group and still be able to keep up.

In my quest to find my first bike I began my test with the Specialized Roubaix and the Tarmac. Both were nice bikes but I didn't get the WOW factor when I rode them. Then I rode the CAAD 10..... "Wow" was my first impression... This bike was extremely responsive and felt like it wanted to fly. I did notice a little bit of a rougher ride as compared to the two carbon Specialized bikes, but it definitely wasn't anything as rough as the ride on my Sirius.

The last bike I tested was the Carbon Synapse. There was a definite improvement in the ride quality over the CAAD 10 and it felt more responsive than the Roubaix/Tarmac, but it couldn't hold a candle to the CAAD 10's responsiveness.

Here's my dilemma.... I am torn between the rocketship CAAD 10 and the Synapse. Comfort over Speed.. I was only able to spend 10 to 15 minutes on each bike so it is really difficult to gauge how I will feel after riding 1-2 hours.

Does the difference in geometry between these two bikes make that much of a difference? Does the AL versus Carbon frame make that much of difference over say a 30 mile ride? Are there modifications I can make to the CAAD 10 to make it more "comfy"?

Any help you folks can provide to help me make a final decision will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

ALIHISGREAT

Re: Newbie-- CAAD10 105 Vs Synapse 105 Carbon

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:01 am

You'll appreciate the extra comfort over 1-2 hours and over 3-4 hours if you start riding with a club so don't get sucked in by a racier bike if what you really want is comfort.

There are things you can do to make the Caad10 more comfortable:

-carbon seatpost
-25mm tyres
-new saddle

But its never going to be as comfy as the carbon Synapse, and its going to be difficult to get a more relaxed riding position.

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:52 pm

benjid wrote: The last bike I tested was the Carbon Synapse. There was a definite improvement in the ride quality over the CAAD 10 and it felt more responsive than the Roubaix/Tarmac, but it couldn't hold a candle to the CAAD 10's responsiveness.

Does the difference in geometry between these two bikes make that much of a difference? Does the AL versus Carbon frame make that much of difference over say a 30 mile ride? Are there modifications I can make to the CAAD 10 to make it more "comfy

You seem to have answered your own question in the first paragraph I have quoted.

In the other, you ask if they really make a difference and the short answer is yes, but not necessarily in the way you require.

Carbon bikes are often quoted as being more comfy than Ally ones but that is often because the carbon provides a more vague ride and you are less aware of the road surface etc.

The biggest difference in the 2 you are asking about is geometry, with the Synapse being less aggressive. That alone may be the difference you felt.

Its a compromise at the end of the day and you need to be the judge of what you are prepared to live with, Loads of feedback and responsiveness or a comfier more relaxed ride.
Yellow is the new Black.

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sun Nov 18, 2012 13:41 pm

I have a Roubaix, I wanted a Synapse but the bike shop at the end of my road is a Specialized dealer and I wasn't going to buy from anywhere else. I also have a CAAD5. The CAAD is very fast but with the tyres at a decent pressure you feel every bump on the road and some roads are no fun at all so I avoid them.

The Roubaix (and I imagine the Synapse is similar) just glides over bad roads and after six or seven hours only my legs hurt. My nephew noticed that I no longer try and cycle around small obstacles. I can run high pressures with no side effects. Best thing I've ever bought and if anything it's faster than the CAAD5 (direct comparison as they had the same set of wheels).

If you're not racing I'd get the Synapse every time. Guy in my bike shop said some folk find the Roubaix too detached, I've not noticed that but for it's comfort and efficiency nothing can touch it.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

benjid

Postby benjid » Sun Nov 18, 2012 16:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”