Steel or TI

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Hanners

Steel or TI

Postby Hanners » Sun Nov 18, 2012 13:38 pm

So i am thinking of new bike but fancy something for club runs, commuting all year round and am thinking either Steel or Ti frame and forks and build something up. i have a Cervelo S1 i will use for a bit of vet racing and the odd tt soi am thinking a good allrounder.
Any suggestions or advice i haven't ridden ti but have a steel single speeder (about 20 years old which i love to ride)
I am not sure on makes but prefer a racier set up as opposed to a sportive set up.

Thanks

Hoopdriver

Re: Steel or TI

Postby Hoopdriver » Sun Nov 18, 2012 14:18 pm

Hanners wrote:So i am thinking of new bike but fancy something for club runs, commuting all year round and am thinking either Steel or Ti frame and forks and build something up. i have a Cervelo S1 i will use for a bit of vet racing and the odd tt soi am thinking a good allrounder.
Any suggestions or advice i haven't ridden ti but have a steel single speeder (about 20 years old which i love to ride)
I am not sure on makes but prefer a racier set up as opposed to a sportive set up.

Thanks

I don't know your price range but Enigma makes both Ti and steel frames, and very lovely bikes they are.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Nov 18, 2012 14:50 pm

Depends on your budget and whether you're looking for a whole bike or are more happy to build up from parts? For steel bikes, then Charge or Genesis have a good rep, likewise Van Nicholas, Sabbath or Burls for ti, otherwise you start getting into the world of custom frames.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Nov 18, 2012 16:06 pm

The material is irrelevant, steel is cheaper or it allows you to get a custom frame at the price of an off the peg titanium.
It is a no brainer

Bondurant

Postby Bondurant » Sun Nov 18, 2012 16:34 pm

Ugo has spoken! Do not consider any other material.

giant man

Postby giant man » Sun Nov 18, 2012 20:47 pm

yeah right
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

prb007

Postby prb007 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 21:25 pm

Might be worth e-mailing PlanetX to see if these are back in stock any time soon...
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... road_frame
Got the Ti Sportive (slightly less aggressive frameset) two years ago and it still looks
and rides as well as it did, fresh out of the box).
Lusted after a genuine Lynskey for years, but when PX got a batch of Ti frames made
by them, AND reduced them by 20% in the January Sale in 2011, I couldn't resist any
longer!
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

waterford123

Postby waterford123 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 22:18 pm

I've got a steel Waterford S33 It's a beautiful bike to ride. I had a Serotta TI legend and my Waterford is a nicer ride for me. That said the last time I rode a carbon frame was an old Look KG66 back in 1990 which was awful. I would love to ride a really nice modern carbon machine one day just to feel the difference.

nmcgann

Postby nmcgann » Sun Nov 18, 2012 22:18 pm

prb007 wrote:Might be worth e-mailing PlanetX to see if these are back in stock any time soon...
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/FRP ... road_frame
Got the Ti Sportive (slightly less aggressive frameset) two years ago and it still looks
and rides as well as it did, fresh out of the box).
Lusted after a genuine Lynskey for years, but when PX got a batch of Ti frames made
by them, AND reduced them by 20% in the January Sale in 2011, I couldn't resist any
longer!

The ones they had after the Lynskey ones were made by Van Nicholas, so I doubt they'd do Lynskey again.

I've got a Ti Pro Road frame from the Lynskey batch and it is great. Unless I break the frame it'll be the one I keep as my long-term summer road bike.

Hanners

Postby Hanners » Mon Nov 19, 2012 09:28 am

Went with steel got the equilibrium frame and forks from evans with the Telegraph 25% discount code bit of a bargain,
just need to get a groupset and build up.

giant man

Postby giant man » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:25 am

Steel and Ti feel different, simple as that. Anyone who has ridden both materials would know that.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

passout

Postby passout » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:50 am

I'd be looking towards Genesis.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”