Cycling with parkinsons

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Cycling with parkinsons

Postby Rick Chasey » Sun Nov 18, 2012 19:20 pm

navt

Re: Cycling with parkinsons

Postby navt » Sun Nov 18, 2012 20:03 pm

Respect. Loved the way the guy dismounts.
Off-road: Whyte 809
On-road: Specialized Roubaix Elite
Gone, but not forgotten: Genesis Day 01

flimflam_machine

Postby flimflam_machine » Sun Nov 18, 2012 21:44 pm

It's a bizarre and wonderful phenonenon, Paradoxical Kinesis (kinesia paradoxica). There are actually parallels in neurologically intact people, it's just much more obvious in people with Parkinson's. In the case of cycling it could well be to do with the relative automaticity of something that you learned to do extremely fluently before you developed Parkinson's. Also the turning of the pedals could might provide stimulus on the bottom of the feet that keeps the movement going, it would be really interesting to see how he was on a fixie.

There's another example reported in a keen football player here and the video that goes with it is one of the most astonishing things I've seen.

MTB-Idle

Postby MTB-Idle » Sun Nov 18, 2012 21:48 pm

That is stomp-down amazing.

Whilst it's not the same I was made aware of Dick & Rick Hoyt this weekend. A father and son triathlon 'team'.

The son is severely disabled but his dad takes him with him on triathlon events.

Whilst it's all amazing, the swimming segment followed by the transition to bike are pretty incredible. :cry:

Dick & Rick Hoyt

Just shows you can do anything if you want it hard enough.
FCN = 4

dhope

Postby dhope » Sun Nov 18, 2012 23:07 pm

MTB-Idle wrote:That is stomp-down amazing.

Whilst it's not the same I was made aware of Dick & Rick Hoyt this weekend. A father and son triathlon 'team'.

The son is severely disabled but his dad takes him with him on triathlon events.

Whilst it's all amazing, the swimming segment followed by the transition to bike are pretty incredible. :cry:

Dick & Rick Hoyt

Awesome until the last 40 seconds when it trivialises it all with some tripe about god doing the same.
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Mon Nov 19, 2012 07:41 am

dhope wrote:

Dick & Rick Hoyt

Awesome until the last 40 seconds when it trivialises it all with some tripe about god doing the same.

+1
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 am

That article at the top is just amazing, I have read about parkinsons patients performing better under severe stress than they do in 'normal environments', but to go from the shambling man unable to walk to cycling like anyone else was just amazing.
Last edited by The Rookie on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daddy0

Postby Daddy0 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:37 am

dhope wrote:Awesome until the last 40 seconds when it trivialises it all with some tripe about god doing the same.

Yeah, I had to turn off the dreadful music, but even without it I was holding back the tears until that point. The god krapp upset me in a different way. Bleedin' religion hijacking a nice story and ruining it, again. Now I'm angry!

Awesome stuff about the Parkinsons though. :-)

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Nov 19, 2012 13:07 pm

dhope wrote:

Dick & Rick Hoyt

Not sure how it trivialises it, but would admit that it's a pretty unsubtle way to make a point. Nor do the two things have much in the way of equivalence.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 13:35 pm

Not a christian myself but know plenty that are so I can understand where it is coming from. I really don't understand how you can say it trivialises with it but I would say it feels a little bit shoehorned into the video.

In any case if you are a christian and follow the life of jesus and you think he is the only son of god and that he gave his life for us that is a pretty powerful argument. That is if you believe in it.

I don't.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2
All-City Macho Man Disc - FCN 2
Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra - FCN 2

SimonAH

Postby SimonAH » Mon Nov 19, 2012 13:52 pm

I'm not that impressed. Apparently if I were to wear certain brands of pantyliner I'd be able to skydive and play concert piano.
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

rjsterry

Postby rjsterry » Mon Nov 19, 2012 14:03 pm

SimonAH wrote:I'm not that impressed. Apparently if I were to wear certain brands of pantyliner I'd be able to skydive and play concert piano.

Who pulls the piano's 'chute?
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:16 pm

rjsterry wrote:
SimonAH wrote:I'm not that impressed. Apparently if I were to wear certain brands of pantyliner I'd be able to skydive and play concert piano.

Who pulls the piano's 'chute?

YHWH ofc :mrgreen:
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:25 pm

The argument is not as loose as you make it to be anyway, but I am probably not the best person to ask seeing as I am a convinced weak atheist.

But look for Cosmological argument, Fine-tuning argument, origin of life, oral tradition, gospels as historical sources and you might be a christian one day.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2

SimonAH

Postby SimonAH » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:57 pm

gabriel959 wrote:

The argument is not as loose as you make it to be anyway, but I am probably not the best person to ask seeing as I am a convinced weak atheist.

But look for Cosmological argument, Fine-tuning argument, origin of life, oral tradition, gospels as historical sources and you might be a christian one day.

Seriously dude, wtf?
FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

dhope

Postby dhope » Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:07 pm

SimonAH wrote:
gabriel959 wrote:

Seriously dude, wtf?

The Gospel according to Bodyform?
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:19 pm

dhope wrote:
SimonAH wrote:
gabriel959 wrote:

Seriously dude, wtf?

The Gospel according to Bodyform?

lol :mrgreen: , I am just saying that a lot of people dish christianity and they usually know jack-all about it.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2

dhope

Postby dhope » Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:28 pm

gabriel959 wrote:lol :mrgreen: , I am just saying that a lot of people dish christianity and they usually know jack-all about it.

A lot of people diss Scientology and know jack-all about it. Anyway, we're drifting off topic and it's not even Friday.
I thought the dad did a good thing and I thought it a shame that it turned out to be an advert about god being a nice chap rather than doing good things.
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:47 pm

dhope wrote:
gabriel959 wrote:lol :mrgreen: , I am just saying that a lot of people dish christianity and they usually know jack-all about it.

A lot of people diss Scientology and know jack-all about it. Anyway, we're drifting off topic and it's not even Friday.
I thought the dad did a good thing and I thought it a shame that it turned out to be an advert about god being a nice chap rather than doing good things.

That is a bad argument and you know it! :) If you are going to criticise something, which is fine, then you need to provide some logically sound argumentation for your criticism, that being scientology, christianism or mormonism.

I was trying with my answer to say that people who are christians might feel okay with that message at the end as for them jesus is part of their daily lives. I have conversations with some of them almost every day and god and jesus are part of their daily life, and when it comes to taking the kids to nursery, do the shopping, move house, jesus, god, the bible are part of the conversation.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2

dhope

Postby dhope » Mon Nov 19, 2012 17:20 pm

gabriel959 wrote:
dhope wrote:

That is a bad argument and you know it! :) If you are going to criticise something, which is fine, then you need to provide some logically sound argumentation for your criticism, that being scientology, christianism or mormonism.

I was trying with my answer to say that people who are christians might feel okay with that message at the end as for them jesus is part of their daily lives. I have conversations with some of them almost every day and god and jesus are part of their daily life, and when it comes to taking the kids to nursery, do the shopping, move house, jesus, god, the bible are part of the conversation.

Yep, I just said I thought it was a shame that it was an advert for god rather than being about what the dad did.
You've just said that plenty of people you know include Jesus in their shopping decisions and yet I need to provide a logically sound argument *against* the existence of God? The sort of people who give a reasoned argument for the existence of a God are not those that wonder whether Jesus approves of Coco Pops or those that sit on the train highlighting circling their favourite lines.

/obviouslazytrolling
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

Return to “Commuting Chat”