Garmin vs Phone App

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Richard Farrant

Garmin vs Phone App

Postby Richard Farrant » Mon Nov 19, 2012 14:29 pm

Hi

Just wondering what the benefits of running a Garmin Edge over using a Cateye and phone app for Strava are? Other than spending some serious money on a unit with mapping the only benefit I can see is the battery life? I can add the HRM function to my phone if I want to and I'm not fussed about cadence.

Cheers

Rich

bernithebiker

Re: Garmin vs Phone App

Postby bernithebiker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 14:57 pm

I used to use my Iphone for Strava.

But now have a Garmin Edge 500.

The battery life is a big thing, because I always had to make sure the Iphone was fully charged, and even then only got 2 hours from it, which is too little for my rides.

The Garmin is also more accurate, and you can customize the display for altitude, heart rate, av. speed, etc. etc.

I love it.

Only downside? Can't wirelessly upload data, like you can with the Iphone.

pb21

Postby pb21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:00 pm

I use my phone (Android) with Strava and have been for a ride of 4hrs and the battery use has been minimal. Reckon I could get a whole day out of it.

verloren

Postby verloren » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:40 pm

From what I've seen on Strava the Garmin is more accurate than the iPhone, it's more compact on the bike, it's waterproof, and is both less likely to brake in a crash and less expensive if it does.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
'10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
'08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.

ajb72

Postby ajb72 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:43 pm

pb21 wrote:I use my phone (Android) with Strava and have been for a ride of 4hrs and the battery use has been minimal. Reckon I could get a whole day out of it.

That has an obvious advantage over an i-phone then - doubt my battery would last all day even without using Strava!

To the OP; battery life aside, the most obvious advantage is the accuracy over a Garmin unit over an i-phone etc app. I have seen some very dubious stats recorded via i-phone including some laughable descent speeds. All depends on how much you value accuracy of course.

Richard Farrant

Postby Richard Farrant » Mon Nov 19, 2012 15:56 pm

Thanks guys, phone is insured so not such a problem with breakages, only really going on 2hr rides so battery is ok for now. I have noticed the accuracy being a bit out on the Android app, apparently I hit 70+kmph when my cateye only recorded 50! Will mull it over as it is a big layout, has anyone bought the 200 version and regretted not spending the extra for the 500?

pb21

Postby pb21 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:11 pm

ajb72 wrote:
pb21 wrote:I use my phone (Android) with Strava and have been for a ride of 4hrs and the battery use has been minimal. Reckon I could get a whole day out of it.

That has an obvious advantage over an i-phone then - doubt my battery would last all day even without using Strava!

To the OP; battery life aside, the most obvious advantage is the accuracy over a Garmin unit over an i-phone etc app. I have seen some very dubious stats recorded via i-phone including some laughable descent speeds. All depends on how much you value accuracy of course.

Maybe its because I start the app and then shove the phone in my back pocket. I don't have the screen on when riding, just stop it and upload it when I finish. Also I find it very accurate!

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:54 pm

Well, I kept my Iphone screen turned off, and made no calls, and still could not get more than 2 hours from it, so the 4 hour guy is doing well.

I looked carefully at the 200, 500 and 800. The 800 is big and expensive and only really useful if you get lost alot.

The 200 is quite basic, and having used the 500, I couldn't go back to a 200.

Charlie Potatoes

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Mon Nov 19, 2012 16:59 pm

I get 4 hours plus from my HTC Windows phone running Endomondo app and then uploading to Strava.
I am going for a Garmin though as I want to keep my phone battery for emergency use.
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

YIMan

Postby YIMan » Mon Nov 19, 2012 19:49 pm

My Iphone simply would not last long enough for longer rides. Another benefit of my Garmin 200 is that it mounts to the bike (I didn't want to spend £50 on a waterproof IPhone mount particularly with the battery issue).

A downside is having to plug the Garmin into a computer to upload Strava data - the IPhone could do it direct from the app.

foggymike

Postby foggymike » Mon Nov 19, 2012 21:12 pm

If you use an iphone just turn off bluetooth and wi-fi, set the screen to turn off at the shortest interval (in case it comes on by accident in your pocket) and take your sim card out while strava-ing. It will last all day no problem. I still take the sim card in a little bag in case I need to make an emergency call.

Without doing the above I used to get 2 1/2 hours max, with all the above a 3 hour ride uses 20% of the battery life.

lef

Postby lef » Mon Nov 19, 2012 22:00 pm

Riding through some parts of london I felt extremely vulnerable with an iphone attached to my bars when at traffic lights. That and the battery being rubbish and the whole thing looking fugly there was only one choice.

Richard Farrant

Postby Richard Farrant » Mon Nov 19, 2012 22:26 pm

I have a cateye strada for the basic functions so don't need a bar mount at all, from the replies above I think it is probably not quite worth the expense, just need to be more careful to turn off the unnecessary functions on the phone

yaya

Postby yaya » Mon Nov 19, 2012 23:19 pm

Maybe it's the Strava app that is power hungry? I use Cyclemeter. iPhone 4S is in the pocket with WiFi and Bluetooth switched off. I take photos every now and again and may make a call or two during stops. I can squeeze 5.5-6 hrs out of it in a push...

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Mon Nov 19, 2012 23:55 pm

i just chuck the iphone in a pocket, normally lasts a good 3hrs.

I think GPS reception can effect it.

in terms of how accurate well the iphone/android phones will be simply buying a GPS chip, much like Garmin I'd wager.

certainly all give spurious results. But the phones seem to be getting better.

Garmin would do well to not to rest on their laurels.

Stueys

Postby Stueys » Tue Nov 20, 2012 07:53 am

Think people have covered it but for ;
- battery life, a 100 mile sportive is 6 hrs. My iPhone would get killed on a 3 hr ride. I know you can turn the screen off etc, etc but the reason I have a cycle computer is to be able to glance down and see cadence, speed, etc. it's nice to have the data always in front of you
- GPS quality, the iPhone used to often give me odd readings
- waterproofing, much happier with a garmin there that is designed to be weather proof
- cost, by the time I would have paid for HRM, cadence and mounting case I couldn't see that I was saving much cash

Gizmodo

Postby Gizmodo » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:22 am

Richard Farrant wrote:Thanks guys, phone is insured so not such a problem with breakages, only really going on 2hr rides so battery is ok for now. I have noticed the accuracy being a bit out on the Android app, apparently I hit 70+kmph when my cateye only recorded 50! Will mull it over as it is a big layout, has anyone bought the 200 version and regretted not spending the extra for the 500?

If you want a bike computer that will record all your ride data to upload to Strava then the Garmin Edge 500 was best on test in this month's Cycling+ magazine. Best value was the Bryton Rider 40T.

For full navigation as well, although the 800 is highly praised, they point put how expensive it is and the Bryton Rider 50T won their best on test.

RC856

Postby RC856 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:22 pm

I was the same as you but after my iPhone battery running out halfway through a sportive I went for the 500 and wish I'd got one sooner. I plan my routes or I'm on a club run so knew I didn't need the 800.
As has already been said, my favourite thing about the 500 is the custom layout. You can view 1-6(?) things on one screen at a time.
Got mine from Handtec for £148 delivered.

Leemerlin

Postby Leemerlin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 13:55 pm

Another quick tip for iPhone users to make the most out of your battery. Make sure you turn off all the apps running in the background.
You need to 'double tap' the home button(the large one at the bottom of the screen)
This will open up a bar at the bottom showing all the apps running on your phone(and draining power)
Now press and hold one off the icons which will make them shake and a little red circle appear
Click on all the apps red circles to close all the apps.
You can now exit by pressing the home button again.

Now just open strava and you should get a lot more life from your phone.
I did a 5 hour ride last weekend no problems.

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Tue Nov 20, 2012 14:32 pm

I think the Edge 500 is brilliant.

Wondering what others have on their 1st screen?

I have Elapsed Time, Speed, Heart Rate, Clock, Distance, and Heading (Compass Direction) (useful for knowing what impact the wind is having on you).

2nd screen is mostly lap time stuff (I love the preset 5km lap timer).

3rd is mostly altitude climbing with a bit of temp, averages thrown in.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”