New Cyclops powermeter HR monitor thing?

When drugs don't work: training and health tips!
SHADOWMATE

New Cyclops powermeter HR monitor thing?

Postby SHADOWMATE » Wed Nov 21, 2012 18:51 pm

Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
with....gears of war.

danowat

Re: New Cyclops powermeter HR monitor thing?

Postby danowat » Wed Nov 21, 2012 19:33 pm

If you want to measure power, buy a power meter.

twotyred

Postby twotyred » Wed Nov 21, 2012 19:55 pm

So has anyone seen this?

Yes

What do you think about it?

IMHO its a waste of money and the data is essentially useless- save up a bit more and buy a proper power meter

Isnt it at least better than a normal HR monitor?

No see above

And lastly whats a power metric?

Instantaneous power, 5 min power, 20 min power, 1 hr power, power/wt- that kind of thing

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 21:09 pm

"...power meter calculated from heart rate..."

I read this and I predict that even in 16 weeks' time I won't have stopped laughing yet.
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 21:20 pm

No cadence measurement, so it shows power output when you're coasting? What a joke
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

danowat

Postby danowat » Thu Nov 22, 2012 08:56 am

Herbsman wrote:No cadence measurement, so it shows power output when you're coasting? What a joke

Indeed, it's laughable, anyone who has used a power meter and a HRM know's that the two don't nessecarily go hand in hand, cardiac drift is something, take todays intervals, first set avg HR 150, NP 275w, second set avg HR 156, NP 273w, last set, avg HR 162, NP 276w......

GiantMike

Postby GiantMike » Thu Nov 22, 2012 09:21 am

SHADOWMATE wrote:What do you think about it?

I can't believe the Cycleops claims and I think it would be wildly inaccurate. I haven't tested it and I may be wrong though.

My recent 2x20 session. Note how HR lags power by some significant margin, even in steady state intervals. Imagine the impact of a race or shorter intervals.

ETA: The DCRainmaker review says it all really.
my power improvement experiment blog

Rule number 100: It's your bike and your money and your time; do what you like with it and ignore other peoples' rules. Except this one.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 am

I like that it'll give a power figure for when you're having sex.

"we just came at 540 watts!"

SHADOWMATE

Postby SHADOWMATE » Thu Nov 22, 2012 14:28 pm

Herbsman wrote:I like that it'll give a power figure for when you're having sex.

"we just came at 540 watts!"

Ha that's awesome.
So survey says..... Load of boll**ks.
Looks like to get power and train to ones absolute best, one must purchase a power meter. Makes sense really. Will talk it out at my coach consult then i guess. Fancy a G3 Powertap.

Maybe Strava missed a trick by not grabbing it for their "power but not really " box of tricks.
I hereby patent a "Y@wn" meter. It shows exactly how tired you are from your ride?
Specialized Roubaix Sport Comp 2013
with....gears of war.

ChrisSA

Postby ChrisSA » Fri Nov 23, 2012 13:40 pm

I have one. It overestimates on road rides. It works well on the turbo for intervals of a few minutes upwards (cf TrainerRoad).
Who cares what the power value is, so long as it is repeatable. It works well for me; I travel alot, and I know if I hit 230W on the turbo at home, or the spin bike in a hotel gym, then I am getting the same training benefit.

danowat

Postby danowat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 13:45 pm

ChrisSA wrote:Who cares what the power value is, so long as it is repeatable. It works well for me; I travel alot, and I know if I hit 230W on the turbo at home, or the spin bike in a hotel gym, then I am getting the same training benefit.

HR is repeatable in that case, if the power value is irrelevant, why have some arbitrary "power" value assigned to your HR, when you could do exactly as you are doing without it, and just use HR.

All seems very odd to me.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 16:52 pm

ChrisSA wrote:I have one. It overestimates on road rides. It works well on the turbo for intervals of a few minutes upwards (cf TrainerRoad).
Who cares what the power value is, so long as it is repeatable. It works well for me; I travel alot, and I know if I hit 230W on the turbo at home, or the spin bike in a hotel gym, then I am getting the same training benefit.

Really?

ChrisSA

Postby ChrisSA » Fri Nov 23, 2012 17:23 pm

danowat wrote:
ChrisSA wrote:Who cares what the power value is, so long as it is repeatable. It works well for me; I travel alot, and I know if I hit 230W on the turbo at home, or the spin bike in a hotel gym, then I am getting the same training benefit.

HR is repeatable in that case, if the power value is irrelevant, why have some arbitrary "power" value assigned to your HR, when you could do exactly as you are doing without it, and just use HR.

HR is not repeatable - caffiene, tiredness, etc. The PowerCal is not a 1:1 mapping of HR:Power.

Herbsman - yes, really.

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 18:12 pm

ChrisSA wrote:
danowat wrote:

HR is not repeatable - caffiene, tiredness, etc. The PowerCal is not a 1:1 mapping of HR:Power.

Herbsman - yes, really.

Wait, what?! :?

danowat

Postby danowat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 18:46 pm

ChrisSA wrote:
danowat wrote:

Herbsman - yes, really.

Wow, impressive, it can detect caffiene and tiredness too :roll:

You've just blown the device out of the water with the HR is not repeatable statement

Herbsman

Postby Herbsman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 20:15 pm

For a minute I thought 'I don't know how they've even sold one of these devices' but realistically, of course they'll sell loads, because people like to spend money, and not everyone is scientifically minded. I don't think people are stupid for falling for it, they just have a different mindset. I just don't think CycleOps deserve to make money from this!

Return to “Training, Fitness and Health”