Which mudguards?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
bethansmith
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 00:27 am

Which mudguards?

Postby bethansmith » Thu Nov 22, 2012 00:33 am

I've just bought my husband a road bike for his birthday (Carrera Zelos), I'm changing the tires to schwalbe Marathon plus for the winter, but wondered if anyone could advise what mudguards would fit this bike?! Thank you :)

User avatar
Pippi Langsamer
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:15 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 13:00 pm

I "think", the bike you've bought your husband has eyelets on the frame n forks to allow installation of full, "proper", mudguards as ooposed to it being a full race frame without eyelets, meaning you'd have to go for one of the Raceblade type jobbies.

I'd recommend SKS guards above any others- probably the Chromoplastic model or the Blumels models:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-chromoplastic-road-mudguard-set/

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sks-bluemels-road-mudguard-set/

cougie
Posts: 19010
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 22:34 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby cougie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 17:02 pm

I'd just check the clearances you have with the tyres - if you've gone up a size - there may not be much room ?

bethansmith
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 00:27 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby bethansmith » Thu Nov 22, 2012 22:27 pm

Thanks, they look great, full mudguards definitely sound like a good idea, looks like you're right about the eyelets! Will measure the clearance once the tires are on though, I was looking at some of the really slim mudguards like Crud Road racer 2, but I saw a tutorial of how to fit them and it put me right off, looks like a lot of fiddling, putting little bits together.

User avatar
Pippi Langsamer
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:15 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Thu Nov 22, 2012 22:46 pm

You just need to check the numbers on the new tyres you bought. If they're 700 x 23 then they'll be fine. If they're 700 x 25 then there may be clearance issues. Unless you specified 25's though, I'd expect you would have bought/ been sold regular 23's.

hsiaolc
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 09:27 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby hsiaolc » Thu Nov 22, 2012 23:22 pm

bethansmith wrote:Thanks, they look great, full mudguards definitely sound like a good idea, looks like you're right about the eyelets! Will measure the clearance once the tires are on though, I was looking at some of the really slim mudguards like Crud Road racer 2, but I saw a tutorial of how to fit them and it put me right off, looks like a lot of fiddling, putting little bits together.


I definitly would recommend the Crud MK2.

I have tried so many different ones but ended up with the Crud MK2 suggested by others.

Yes tricky to put on first but once all finished it is the best mudgards ever. Keeps my bike clean, super light weight, looks amazing and really does the job well.

But be prepared for some tricky fitting. You really have to know what you are doing. When I did it I watched the video over and over again.

bisoner
Posts: 168
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 19:47 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby bisoner » Fri Nov 23, 2012 00:00 am

hsiaolc wrote:
bethansmith wrote:Thanks, they look great, full mudguards definitely sound like a good idea, looks like you're right about the eyelets! Will measure the clearance once the tires are on though, I was looking at some of the really slim mudguards like Crud Road racer 2, but I saw a tutorial of how to fit them and it put me right off, looks like a lot of fiddling, putting little bits together.


I definitly would recommend the Crud MK2.

I have tried so many different ones but ended up with the Crud MK2 suggested by others.

Yes tricky to put on first but once all finished it is the best mudgards ever. Keeps my bike clean, super light weight, looks amazing and really does the job well.

But be prepared for some tricky fitting. You really have to know what you are doing. When I did it I watched the video over and over again.


Work best with 23mm tyres. 25mm's can rub a bit on the back. Not too bad on the front though.

For fitting, watch the video's on the crud site, set aside an evening to fit them the first time - you might need to hack a bit to get them to fit nicely. After that, you can take on and off fairly easily. Mine are on their 2nd season and are working great.

User avatar
Pippi Langsamer
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:15 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 06:49 am

bisoner wrote:
hsiaolc wrote:
bethansmith wrote:Thanks, they look great, full mudguards definitely sound like a good idea, looks like you're right about the eyelets! Will measure the clearance once the tires are on though, I was looking at some of the really slim mudguards like Crud Road racer 2, but I saw a tutorial of how to fit them and it put me right off, looks like a lot of fiddling, putting little bits together.


I definitly would recommend the Crud MK2.

I have tried so many different ones but ended up with the Crud MK2 suggested by others.

Yes tricky to put on first but once all finished it is the best mudgards ever. Keeps my bike clean, super light weight, looks amazing and really does the job well.

But be prepared for some tricky fitting. You really have to know what you are doing. When I did it I watched the video over and over again.


Work best with 23mm tyres. 25mm's can rub a bit on the back. Not too bad on the front though.

For fitting, watch the video's on the crud site, set aside an evening to fit them the first time - you might need to hack a bit to get them to fit nicely. After that, you can take on and off fairly easily. Mine are on their 2nd season and are working great.


An evening to fit guards?!?

Does the video come with free popcorn and date :idea:

hsiaolc
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 09:27 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby hsiaolc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 09:40 am

Pippi Langsamer wrote:An evening to fit guards?!?

Does the video come with free popcorn and date :idea:


Yes took me an evening and a few days of adjustments.

Once you get started time just flies.

And yes it is best with 23mm tyres. I still have mine on and I had it since summer.

User avatar
Pippi Langsamer
Posts: 804
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 20:15 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby Pippi Langsamer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:22 am

As good as the Crud's look, I don't see the point if the bike the OP is talking about has mudguard eyes.

The Crud's look like a good option for bikes without the eyelets.

User avatar
Hoopdriver
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby Hoopdriver » Fri Nov 23, 2012 13:12 pm

As far as I know, Marathon Plusses don't come any narrower than 25mm

cougie
Posts: 19010
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 22:34 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby cougie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 13:39 pm

And they're also taller than other tyres too -

http://www.schwalbemarathonplus.com/wp- ... onPlus.jpg

Very sturdy though !

bethansmith
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2012 00:27 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby bethansmith » Fri Nov 23, 2012 21:39 pm

Fitting the new tyres tomorrow, they are 25, I hope something fits :/. Might have to just bring it in a shop, though I'm not keen on the one near me, the brakes always squeak and rub once hes done! Good advice though thanks, at least I know theres a few options, I hope something will work!

hsiaolc
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 09:27 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby hsiaolc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 23:53 pm

bethansmith wrote:Fitting the new tyres tomorrow, they are 25, I hope something fits :/. Might have to just bring it in a shop, though I'm not keen on the one near me, the brakes always squeak and rub once hes done! Good advice though thanks, at least I know theres a few options, I hope something will work!


Don't hope do your home work first.

As for the mud guards it makes no differenc you have mudguard eyelits or not the Crud is in my opinion the choice to go for. But since you got the 25mm then probably you want to look for something else.

BTW Marathon tyres are very heavy compared to other tyres.

I am not quite sure why you went for that particular tyre because it is really heavy and thick. Since you just bought your hubby a new road bike maybe he wants really thin tyres and made for speed?

I definitly would not put the marathon tyres on mine. I use the Schawlbe Durano Plus 23mm and I think it is very good already but there are plenty of other road tyres that people love to use.

I hope he likes the choice. :)

User avatar
Hoopdriver
Posts: 1974
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am
Contact:

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby Hoopdriver » Sat Nov 24, 2012 07:12 am

Marathon plusses are perfectly fine. Obviously they are not racing tyres, and they are indeed heavier than high performance road tyres but for general use, when you really don't want to bother about punctures, or fir commuting where you have to get to work on time (and without greasy hands from repairing flats) or for touring they ate hard to beat. I have used them for years, for all of the above purposes and reasons.

cougie
Posts: 19010
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 22:34 pm

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby cougie » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:23 pm

I'd not time trial on them but they're excellent for keeping you mobile. I've used them on my cross bike for adventure races - a lot of people rode mountain bikes to get through. The marathons didn't miss a beat and they were fine on the road too. a good choice for the winter.

User avatar
Beatmaker
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:24 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby Beatmaker » Sat Nov 24, 2012 13:07 pm

hsiaolc wrote:
bethansmith wrote:Fitting the new tyres tomorrow, they are 25, I hope something fits :/. Might have to just bring it in a shop, though I'm not keen on the one near me, the brakes always squeak and rub once hes done! Good advice though thanks, at least I know theres a few options, I hope something will work!


Don't hope do your home work first.

As for the mud guards it makes no differenc you have mudguard eyelits or not the Crud is in my opinion the choice to go for. But since you got the 25mm then probably you want to look for something else.

BTW Marathon tyres are very heavy compared to other tyres.

I am not quite sure why you went for that particular tyre because it is really heavy and thick. Since you just bought your hubby a new road bike maybe he wants really thin tyres and made for speed?

I definitly would not put the marathon tyres on mine. I use the Schawlbe Durano Plus 23mm and I think it is very good already but there are plenty of other road tyres that people love to use.

I hope he likes the choice. :)


It's interesting you would choose Crud Racers over something like SKS given the choice and eyelets. Having used both I would suggest the opposite. What advantages do you think the Cruds have over SKS?

hsiaolc
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 09:27 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby hsiaolc » Sat Nov 24, 2012 16:02 pm

Beatmaker wrote:
It's interesting you would choose Crud Racers over something like SKS given the choice and eyelets. Having used both I would suggest the opposite. What advantages do you think the Cruds have over SKS?


It is lighter. I have the SKS as well There are many model of SKS too. My SKS makes too much rattling noice. the MK2 is dead silent. Also MK2 is a lot ligher!

Which SKS model are you refering to?

hsiaolc
Posts: 186
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 09:27 am

Re: Which mudguards?

Postby hsiaolc » Sat Nov 24, 2012 16:07 pm

Hoopdriver wrote:Marathon plusses are perfectly fine. Obviously they are not racing tyres, and they are indeed heavier than high performance road tyres but for general use, when you really don't want to bother about punctures, or fir commuting where you have to get to work on time (and without greasy hands from repairing flats) or for touring they ate hard to beat. I have used them for years, for all of the above purposes and reasons.


We have plenty of people at my work commute to work including myself. None uses Marathon Plus and none will recommend that for commute. The Durano Plus works just fine and plenty other tyres than to choose Marathon plus.
Not saying that Marathon plus is not good. They are excellent but maybe not everyones choice when it comes down to road racing spec.
It would be very strange to put Marathon plus on my Canyon! Who knows what her husband really want. But if the bike is full road race geometry then it would look out of place with such a thick and heavy tyre.


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gpgiant, Kajjal, Russboy and 9 guests