Shimano RS10 photo-Defective wheel?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
sturmey

Shimano RS10 photo-Defective wheel?

Postby sturmey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 16:27 pm

Cleaning bike today and noticed the following 'damage' to my rear Shimano RS10- fairly terminal looking crack in the rim.

Only problem is, this damage is not confined to one spoke or one part of the rim. The same rim crack is evident to a total of NINE out of the ten drive side spoke nipples.

Wheel has done no more than 5 thousand miles (4 years old) and rider is 12 stone and avoids potholes like the plague.

Given that nearly all the drive side nipples are showing the same problem I would say the wheel must have been inherently weak /defective from new.

Any point chasing Shimano (Madison?) over poss. warranty claim?

Funny, but just noticed this thread also: http://forums.roadbikereview.com/wheels ... 57210.html

ugo.santalucia

Re: Shimano RS10 photo-Defective wheel?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 16:41 pm

No point, no.

The wheel was not defective, if it lived 4 years. Because of the low spoke count, the manufacturer has to use a fairly high tension on a rim that has no eyelets and it is probably not designed to carry such tension, neither manufactured to a standard adequate to minimise metal fatigue.
The rim is for the scrap and given the straight pull contraction and lack of Shimano spares, the all wheel is actually good for the bin.
As an act of good will, if you bother them enough, you might get a 50 pounds wheel replacement to shut you up, but in theory the retailer is under no obligation to replace it. Don't contact Madison, they will just direct you to the retailer. It is with the latter you signed an "agreement", not with Madison

Ugo

sturmey

Postby sturmey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 16:55 pm

okay I take your point.

As a comparison though I have also run a pair of even cheaper Como's for the past four years and these have done about 7k miles. Again a low spoke count wheel, yet no damage at all and wheels still perfectly true.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 17:11 pm

sturmey wrote:okay I take your point.

As a comparison though I have also run a pair of even cheaper Como's for the past four years and these have done about 7k miles. Again a low spoke count wheel, yet no damage at all and wheels still perfectly true.

So get another set of Como... PRO Lite are not immune from faults... I have seen more than one set of Bracciano showing all sorts of problems after one winter... all problems that cannot be fixed cheaply, which is annoying.
To be honest at that price point, it is difficult to get anything which is built to last... it is sad, 'cause 120 pounds is still money in my world and should buy you something reliable at least, but it doesn't. It is much more annoying to see the same happening on wheels priced ten time higher.
Anyway, your case is textbook of low spoke count wheels with alloy nipples etc...
BTW: what happened to that nipple? Looks like it's been trued by a Gorilla... Could it be that the last time it was trued the guy in the LBS was a bit exuberant and loaded the wheel with too much tension?

sturmey

Postby sturmey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 17:29 pm

Tbh the spoke nipple was my doing- only touched it the other day ,gave it a quarter turn at most as the rim was 'out' and I didn't notice the damage to the rim. On seeing it today I assumed the crack was my fault for overtightening the spoke -but then I noticed all the other cracks... and I've never been near those spokes. Obviously I now know why the rim was out of true.
Anyway, I have got a pair of RS80'S ,Fulcrum 5'S and Fulcrum 7'S sitting in my loft to replace the knackered wheel so no tears from me.
And no, I couldn't find my spoke key , so I used an adjustable wrench instead...
Last edited by sturmey on Thu Nov 22, 2012 17:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sturmey

Postby sturmey » Thu Nov 22, 2012 17:49 pm

A couple of other spokes here:

racingcondor

Postby racingcondor » Fri Nov 23, 2012 13:09 pm

As Ugo has said that wheel is toast. Glad you spotted it off the bike.

I would hope that your average factory wheel would last 10,000 miles but wear on the brake tracks isn't the only way wheels fail so given the age of the wheel I'd put this one down to bad luck more than anything.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:06 pm

I'm taken by the near identical fractures in those last 2 photos. Could be worth pointing out to the retailer, you never know...

My RS10's are now over 5 years old and still going strong. Mind you. I'll be giving the rims a good looking at next time I'm cleaning them!

Return to “Workshop”