Set up your bike to fit YOU

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
TCR3000

Set up your bike to fit YOU

Postby TCR3000 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 15:33 pm

Hi,saw this article of how to measure your bike to fit in a magazine.....many years ago.
Just thought some of you might be interested.....

1. SADDLE HEIGHT
Measure your inside leg with your cycling shoes,(mine is 82cm).
Then multiply the inside leg measurement with 0.885 which gave me 72.5cm saddle height.
Then measure the saddle height from centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat...Saddle Height achieved.
2. SADDLE SET BACK
Get a plumb line,a piece of string with a nut on the end will do.
Put the plumb line on the end of the seat and let it hang lower than the bottom bracket.
The plumb line when still should be 5.5cm behind the bottom bracket,also tilt the seat slightly down and tighten.
3. HANDLEBAR REACH
Get a piece of wood which has a length from the top of the seat to the top of the handlebar.
Put the piece of wood on top of the seat(centre of seat) and using a spirit level,the distance from the top of the
handlebars to the bottom of the piece of wood WHEN LEVEL should be no less than 6cm.

You may adjust the handlebar reach to make it lower than 6cm,the higher the gap between the bottom of the wood and to the top of the handlebar...the more you stretch your back.
So go with the 6cm measurement first and adjust later after a few bikerides.

This worked for me and many of my friends.....no more lower back aches.

Just thought i'd share this info with fellow cyclists.

rjgr

Re: Set up your bike to fit YOU

Postby rjgr » Sat Nov 24, 2012 19:06 pm

Sorry I don't get it!

The only tailored fit variable is inside leg. What about femur length, torso to leg ratio, 'flexibility' etc. all of these are addressed by more measurement/adjustment of seat setback, saddle to handlebar drop etc. and that's before any debate about what frame size and geometry is best for rider/intended use.

Return to “Workshop”