What clinchers for the track?

For those who like going round in circles
Omar Little

What clinchers for the track?

Postby Omar Little » Tue Nov 27, 2012 16:31 pm

In the process of getting a few bits and pieces together before i get my track bike.

In terms of the tyres i'm looking for something nice, grippy and predictable for steep wooden banking, not too fussed about weight, puncture resistance or how aero it is.

Vittoria Diamante Pro Light can be picked up for fairly cheap are these any good? Or am i better off spending some more and going with Conti Supersonics or Vittoria Open Corsa Evo SC (actually are these even allowed they have different coloured sidewalls to the tread? I know Michelins and other dual compounds are banned). Or would you recommend something else instead?

Eddy S

Re: What clinchers for the track?

Postby Eddy S » Tue Nov 27, 2012 17:34 pm

Go with the Diamnte Pro Lights (also available as a Pista version without the puncture resistance) - they really are quite sublime on wooden tracks. Unless the Supersonics have been updated recently, the DPLs are far, far better.

Omar Little

Postby Omar Little » Tue Nov 27, 2012 23:13 pm

Thats good to hear was expecting some drawback with the cheaper price

Lookyhere

Postby Lookyhere » Thu Dec 13, 2012 08:56 am

For a youth rider, using Diamonte PL, what would you recommend for inner tubes? or does it even matter?
also, what pressures? she weighs 47kg.
Thanks.

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Thu Dec 13, 2012 09:23 am

Best check with the velodrome as they tend not to allow clinchers at all. In fact Manc wont allow even taped tubs, they must be glued.
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

Lookyhere

Postby Lookyhere » Thu Dec 13, 2012 09:49 am

Jez! i hope not as all their hire bikes are on cls but maybe for racing its different?
its Newport btw, so i ll have to check it up.

Richa1181

Postby Richa1181 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:54 pm

NapoleonD wrote:Best check with the velodrome as they tend not to allow clinchers at all. In fact Manc wont allow even taped tubs, they must be glued.

Where did you get that info from? I ride Manchester all the time (and occasionally race the regional league) on clinchers with Schwalbe Ultremo's and have never had any grief. In fact I remember (before they revamped the website) that they had a fairly extensive list of allowed tyres both clincher and tubs?

NapoleonD

Postby NapoleonD » Thu Dec 13, 2012 20:03 pm

Obviously duff gen from a mate!
Twitter - @NapD
Strava - Dense Voigt

andrewgturnbull

Postby andrewgturnbull » Fri Jan 04, 2013 13:45 pm

Richa1181 wrote:
NapoleonD wrote:Best check with the velodrome as they tend not to allow clinchers at all. In fact Manc wont allow even taped tubs, they must be glued.

Where did you get that info from? I ride Manchester all the time (and occasionally race the regional league) on clinchers with Schwalbe Ultremo's and have never had any grief. In fact I remember (before they revamped the website) that they had a fairly extensive list of allowed tyres both clincher and tubs?

http://www2.nationalcyclingcentre.com/d ... cation.pdf

Cheers, Andy

mrushton

Postby mrushton » Mon Jan 21, 2013 09:13 am

If you can afford it then Veloflex Open Record with Conti Supersonic inners are as near to tubular as you will get. Diamante Pro are nice as are Conti Supersonic tyres. Always check your tyres before/after each session. If a clincher fails on the boards it can be dramatic apparently.

Return to “Track”