What do you get when you cross a van with an unlit cyclist?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
deadhead1971

What do you get when you cross a van with an unlit cyclist?

Postby deadhead1971 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:51 pm

My cousin just wrote his van off because of a cyclist who was riding in the dark with no lights.
Find out what he had to say about it -
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk/2012/11/look-what-happens-to-cyclists-with-no-lights/
Alan
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

--------------

The best cycling cafés, all on one map, and reviewed by cyclists just like us!
http://thecyclecafe.net

Malc6552

Re: What do you get when you cross a van with an unlit cycli

Postby Malc6552 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 13:05 pm

That's food for thought, I will be adding an extra light for sure, sounds like the cyclist had a lucky escape

ILM Zero7

Postby ILM Zero7 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 13:14 pm

idiot cyclist - no lights in the dark (presumably) ... should be liable for causing or contributing to the accident - see far too many unlit or badly lit cyclists.... there seem to be too many who "have a light" ... yes you do, and if you were the only one in a coal mine it would show up well, but on a road with wet road glare and oncoming headlights too many are F'ing useless

there should be some regulation and minimum output levels - for both front and back lights
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
[b]Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

tiredofwhiners

Postby tiredofwhiners » Sat Dec 01, 2012 13:31 pm

Has anyone else actually read the article ? Hitting a cyclist did that to a van and the cyclist didn't even stop ?

Whats the rest of the unwritten story as that not even remotely credible?

If he swerved to avoid a cyclist and hit something else then fair enough, but to claim that he hit a cyclist (which the article does) who carried on without stopping and did that damage toa van suggest the cyclist was made of a large block of concrete., or had his bike inside a car at the time of the accident.

logie48

Postby logie48 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 14:02 pm

I'm never out after it gets dark. Reason being, I nearly hit a cyclist myself in my car a few years ago, even though he had lights. So i'll only cycle when it's light.

I always wear fluo yellow jerseys aswell. Got a few nice Castelli ones which do the trick. I think your jeopardizing your safety if you don't wear anythin bright. Always, always maximise visibility.
Last edited by logie48 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 14:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

clickshots

Postby clickshots » Sat Dec 01, 2012 14:02 pm

"Has anyone else actually read the article ?"

Yes, it says:
"My van after a head on crash with a lorry yesterday. I nearly hit a cyclist yesterday."

Ride hard

Postby Ride hard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 14:14 pm

You need to go to specsavers my friend. He said he hit an oncoming lorry after swerving to avoid said cyclist.

@ILM Zero7 You're right. I had a rant the other day regarding the same thing. Some cyclist I see may as well not bother using the one kcals of energy it takes to take their finger and switch on the light beacuse its either too dim, or obscured because of a coat or being stupidly postioned.

In terms of a law for minimum light output, it's a good idea, however, I think many will ignore it. Case in question - just look at the amount of drivers who still use mobiles at the wheel.
Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 14:53 pm

I hate to say it, but in the unlikely event I'd have the presence of mind to consciously make the choice, in the car if it came down to knocking an invisible-till-the-last-second cyclist off his bike, or having a head-on with a lorry coming the other way, the cyclist would just have to take his chances.

I've always been pretty careful, but since taking up cycling a couple of months ago, I'm 10x more aware of cyclists. And the number of cretins riding in the dark wearing dark clothes with no lights is just mind-boggling. No sympathy whatsoever, and I also object to the way they give the rest of us a bad name.
Is the gorilla tired yet?

wheels50

Postby wheels50 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 16:15 pm

na ...... edited.
Last edited by wheels50 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 23:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tiredofwhiners

Postby tiredofwhiners » Sat Dec 01, 2012 16:31 pm

Ride hard wrote:You need to go to specsavers my friend. He said he hit an oncoming lorry after swerving to avoid said cyclist.

In other words, the misleading headline is really that this is what happens when you swerve a vehicle head on into another vehicle. The involvement of a bike is irrelevant - it could have been a walker as happened to day on the A31 where the walker died, just as much as bike.

No excuses for cycling 'unlit' though.

Ride hard

Postby Ride hard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 17:21 pm

tiredofwhiners wrote:
Ride hard wrote:You need to go to specsavers my friend. He said he hit an oncoming lorry after swerving to avoid said cyclist.

In other words, the misleading headline is really that this is what happens when you swerve a vehicle head on into another vehicle. The involvement of a bike is irrelevant - it could have been a walker as happened to day on the A31 where the walker died, just as much as bike.

No excuses for cycling 'unlit' though.

I didn't make up the headline, and the part the cyclist played in this is relevant. It's cause and effect.

Granted, none of us witnessed the incident so we'll never know the full circumstances of what happened, but the fact is the cyclist had no lights (cause) at night making it harder for the van/bus/car/other cyclist/motorbike/pedestrian - or any other variable you won't to throw into the mix - to see them. The effect is - as in this case - people having the swerve/brake hard etc, which I'm sure you'll agree is dangerous for everyone involved. The cyclist is a liability to themselves and others.

Tell me how irrelevant the actions of an unlit cyclist are if you are cycling down the road minding your own business when the other cyclist with no lights coming in the opposite direction turns right into a turning and consequently causes you to take evasive action because you can't see them? In fact, it could be a vehicle that's forgotten to turn their lights on that does the same thing - it doesn't matter. The fact is you can't see them and put yourself at risk with your emergency manoeuvre to right their wrong. I don't know about you, but if that happened to me I would be pissed.

I don't know the incident you're talking about regarding the pedestrian that was killed, and although tragic, you can't compare that and this incident. Pedestrians have the pavement to make their journey on where they probably average about 2mph (very safe) and aren't in the road sharing their space with multiple fast moving, heavy vehicles (not that safe). So unless I've missed some new law that was recently passed, pedestrians don't need lights.

pdw

Postby pdw » Sat Dec 01, 2012 18:01 pm

Pedestrians have the pavement to make their journey on

Have you ever set foot outside a city or town?

velvetytoast

Postby velvetytoast » Sat Dec 01, 2012 18:05 pm

My mate wrote his car off when a 'black dog' jumped out in front of it - the dog never had lights on and ran off aswell - excuses like this have been around for years

Ride hard

Postby Ride hard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 19:00 pm

pdw wrote:
Pedestrians have the pavement to make their journey on

Have you ever set foot outside a city or town?

Well, if you can include regular trips on my steed through the country lanes of Kent, Surrey, West Sussex, Essex and South West Sweden in the category of setting 'foot outside a city or town', then I guess you can say I have.

thegibdog

Postby thegibdog » Sat Dec 01, 2012 19:29 pm

Seems your cousin has some decent advice for cyclists, does he have any advice for drivers as a result of this?

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 19:41 pm

thegibdog wrote:Seems your cousin has some decent advice for cyclists, does he have any advice for drivers as a result of this?

Yes; 'if you're riding a bike on the road, use lights'
:roll:
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Pigtail

Postby Pigtail » Sat Dec 01, 2012 19:48 pm

Ride hard wrote:Granted, none of us witnessed the incident so we'll never know the full circumstances of what happened, but the fact is the cyclist had no lights.......

A bit of a contradiction there methinks. Would you care to reflect on that a bit?

Ride hard

Postby Ride hard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:10 pm

Haaa.

As I say, I'm not claiming to know what happened, but if you're telling me you can see other road users (cyclists or overwise)who don't have lights in the dark, then either you're a Terminator, or you have some mystic powers.

deadhead1971

Postby deadhead1971 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:18 pm

thegibdog wrote:Seems your cousin has some decent advice for cyclists, does he have any advice for drivers as a result of this?

Is there an implication there that somehow a motorist is to blame for not seeing a cyclist who chose to ride on a busy road at night with no lights?
What do you suggest, infra-red military grade night vision goggles?
Alan
http://www.scarletfire.co.uk

--------------

The best cycling cafés, all on one map, and reviewed by cyclists just like us!
http://thecyclecafe.net

Pigtail

Postby Pigtail » Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:20 pm

That's not what I meant.

You'll never know what happened- but you know there was a cyclist and you know he had no lights?

Return to “Road Beginners”