Brake & Gear Cable Set

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
ricky1980

Brake & Gear Cable Set

Postby ricky1980 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 14:59 pm

I am looking at this http://www.probikekit.com/uk/yokozuna-reaction-complete-brake-and-gear-cable-set.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=google_base_gbp

but its quite expensive for my build. However i really like the look of it. anyone got any other suggestions?
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

orderodonata

Re: Brake & Gear Cable Set

Postby orderodonata » Sat Dec 01, 2012 15:11 pm

Just ordered these myself today!

I've used Gore Ride-On in the past which are very nice, but a bit flexy I think. The Yokozuna are supposedly very stiff, but I don't see that as a problem. For a full set of cables I thought the price was ok.

I'll let you know what they are like when I've fitted them.

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 15:25 pm

Ya I read the review on this on the site, it seems to be a piece of cake to fit as well. But certainly keep me posted please.

Did u look into any other seys? Before u set your mind on these.

speshsteve

Postby speshsteve » Sat Dec 01, 2012 16:18 pm

i've got these, the brake cables in particular are a nightmare to fit...to be honest I wouldn't buy them again.

If you run shimano you'll find the end caps are too big for the stock shimano brakes too. You will also need a dremmel and cutting blade just to get through the housing.
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 17:27 pm

Is this going to fit within the sram red shifters internal cable route OK?

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 17:49 pm

Anyone got any suggestion for alternative?

mfin

Postby mfin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 18:43 pm

Works fine with Sram Red.

Also have running with Super Record.

Nothing odd about them at all, just stiff outers.

If ferrules dont fit into Brakes, just dont use a ferrule, as long as the fit is snug as a bug, which it is in the instance of Campag brakes.

Honestly, these cables are something else at the price, and no problem fitting if you know what you're doing.

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:19 pm

I've used Transfil Mudlovers - both brake and shift cables - on two of my bikes and like them a lot. They are fully sealed and last for years.

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:42 pm

Gore Ride On, been using them for years for gears on MTB and brakes & gears on the road bike. Never felt them to be flexy and they're virtually maintenance free. Can't fault them to be honest.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 20:46 pm

i read the gore ones have some kind of polymer inside the housing and after a while it breaks down and clogs the housing up and effectively a total overhaul?

also want to know if anyone got any suggestion for something look similar

mfin wrote:Works fine with Sram Red.

If ferrules dont fit into Brakes, just dont use a ferrule, as long as the fit is snug as a bug, which it is in the instance of Campag brakes.

Honestly, these cables are something else at the price, and no problem fitting if you know what you're doing.

What i was referring to is if the gear and brake cable housing can make the turns out of the shifter and along the handle bar and into the cable eye. those turns are basically 90 degrees so quite sharp

found my alternative which offers really good looks too...jagwire. bike radar's review of this stated that it was tricky for the cut ends to route internally as the ends were frayed. Well i think someone forgot to bind the end with solder/superglue/tape >.<

MattC59

Postby MattC59 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 22:34 pm

ricky1980 wrote:i read the gore ones have some kind of polymer inside the housing and after a while it breaks down and clogs the housing up and effectively a total overhaul?

Not in my experience. They have a ptfe liner which runs the full length of the cable, effectively sealing in the cable, this liner sits inside the outers. The cable runs freely inside this. I've had a set on the gears of my MTB for about 4years, they've only needed minor tweaking, despite numerous wet and muddy outings to Afan (including a number of rides of several hours in the rain). They only break down if you're ham fisted when you install them and manage to split the liner.

They're stopping production soon, so I've stocked up with them, incase my existing sets finally give up or I build another bike.
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.

Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

speshsteve

Postby speshsteve » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 am

mfin wrote:Works fine with Sram Red.

the ferrules don't step down far enough to fit shimano brakes and he brake housing is bigger again.

The quality of them is good, just think that they are if anything over engineered making them heavier and very inflexible...just my opinion.
My Marmotte 2012 Blog:
http://steve-lamarmotte2012.blogspot.com/
cervelo R5 VWD
Spesh Roubaix
Genesis Equilibrium
Spesh FSR Stumpy Expert
Spesh M4 Stumpy
Brompton SL2

Return to “Road Buying Advice”