Saddle Bag - That doesn't ruin your bibs

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Churchill123

Saddle Bag - That doesn't ruin your bibs

Postby Churchill123 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:44 pm

So in a nut shell I currently have a Specilaized saddle bag - small but fits what I deem the essentials in it, however after a few rides I've noticed its starting to wear a hole in my expensive bibs and so I need to change it! - Its a velco round the seat post and saddle rails type.. anyone had this issue? - and if so how did you rectify it?

Anyone recommend a half decent looking bag that can accommodate a tool, a spare tube, levers credit card keys etc - I'm not the biggest fan of saddle bags as the best of time so it has to be pretty on my Pinarello as well as practical.

FoldingJoe

Re: Saddle Bag - That doesn't ruin your bibs

Postby FoldingJoe » Mon Dec 03, 2012 13:26 pm

Why not try something like this?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-caddy-sack-medium/

I've got the small one and it's more than big enough for a spare tube, co2 cartridge and inflator, multitool, credit card\money and phone and probably space to spare.
Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807

sungod

Postby sungod » Mon Dec 03, 2012 14:23 pm

no bag on my shiny bike, i just use the middle jersey pocket

on the commute bike i've got one of the fizik bags that clips into the saddle, but in the past i've used rail mounted ones like the above link and they've been fine
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:35 pm

garethjohn wrote:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-micro-caddy-small-saddle-bag-2011/

This

Absolutely the best saddle bag available.

Bozman

Postby Bozman » Mon Dec 03, 2012 15:38 pm

Altura speed saddle bag, they're tapered in to the post and pull tight against the post and rails and i've yet to catch it, i've got a medium one that carries 2 tubes, a small pump and a few tools.

Churchill123

Postby Churchill123 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 16:51 pm

The Lezyne Micro Caddy Small Saddle Bag - 2011 - As mentioned by others, is it big enough to house a multi tool, spare tube, levers, some cash credit card and keys (only2 or 3 on keyring) and a patch repair kit for the dreaded puncture.. thats what i generally carry.. should i be carrying anything else? - have my pump in my jersey pocket.

giant man

Postby giant man » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:00 pm

That lezyne micro caddy small looks too small to be useful imo, wouldn't fit all my $hit in there lol.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

alanparsons

Postby alanparsons » Mon Dec 03, 2012 17:37 pm

Churchill123 wrote:So in a nut shell I currently have a Specilaized saddle bag - small but fits what I deem the essentials in it, however after a few rides I've noticed its starting to wear a hole in my expensive bibs and so I need to change it! - Its a velco round the seat post and saddle rails type.. anyone had this issue? - and if so how did you rectify it?

Anyone recommend a half decent looking bag that can accommodate a tool, a spare tube, levers credit card keys etc - I'm not the biggest fan of saddle bags as the best of time so it has to be pretty on my Pinarello as well as practical.

Just found this:-

http://uk.lookat.com/sci-con-aeronaut-600cc-black-saddle-bag?utm_content=uk&utm_medium=googlebase&utm_source=merchantcenter

Looks pretty good.

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Mon Dec 03, 2012 19:47 pm

the Arundel that takes two tubes. Fits well within the width of the saddle and has a leather seatpost protector, about £10. The Lezyne bag did rub on my shorts if well packed and the neoprene straps ripped after a season. And, there is a hole where the seat post has rubbed through the outer fabric.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

robbo2011

Postby robbo2011 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 05:56 am

I have a specialized saddle bag on my winter bike. I have put some insulation tape over the velcro bits and I have no problems with damaged bibshorts. One day I'll get a better saddle bag, but there's no rush.

ajb72

Postby ajb72 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:23 am

giant man wrote:That lezyne micro caddy small looks too small to be useful imo, wouldn't fit all my $hit in there lol.

They are deceptively spacious - I have a spare tube, co2 pump and cylinder, tyre levers, zip ties and a mini tool in mine. And that lot is by no means rammed in!

CYCLESPORT1

Postby CYCLESPORT1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 09:30 am

rich164h

Postby rich164h » Tue Dec 04, 2012 13:59 pm

CYCLESPORT1 wrote:http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/AeroWedgePack_DX_medium

Great bags :D

They are good. I got one about two years ago which look slightly different from that one (no side access for example) and it's great. The medium one is plenty big enough for everything you'd want to take for an all-day ride assuming you've got a pump on the frame or in your jersey pocket, but small enough not to look ridiculous or to rub on shorts etc.

The only downside to mine is that it's definitely not weatherproof. In the rain the contents will get wet. I think this is mainly due to the way you get access and this new version has presumably solved that by putting access on the side and covering the zip with a little flap. on mine the access if at the back of the pack behind the "extension" zip.

If you only go out for an hour or so at a time, they do a small version of this as well (or at least they used to) which would be plenty big enough for a spare tube, levers, minitool, patches and a phone. The medium one allows a few gels and perhaps a small wallet as well.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”