Dura Ace in winter

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
gtvlusso

Dura Ace in winter

Postby gtvlusso » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm

As the 7 of 9 thread seemed to develop in a different direction;

Is it worth upgrading Shimano 105 to Dura Ace on an all season bike?

I don't think that shift accuracy comes into it, the 105 setup is perfect. The only advantages I can see are blingness and weight......

I have too much time on my hands!

UndercoverElephant

Re: Dura Ace in winter

Postby UndercoverElephant » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 pm

Let's face it DA parts are very expensive and wear out quick. Why you'd want to use them in winter, when everything wears out even quicker, is beyond me. That said, it's your money, do what you like with it.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:29 pm

Who cares:
:P

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:34 pm

Aye, sorry, what was I thinking..

CiB

Postby CiB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:45 pm

I'm using my Di2 through the winter. I bought it to use it, not to admire it and make it last longer by locking it a garage for 5 months a year. Keep it clean, keep it well lubed, don't ride through salt mines and two-foot deep floods and you'll be ok.

Edit to add don't fall off either. That does a sight more damage than a few hundred miles in winter.

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:48 pm

Comes down to how much you value the bling - if you were bothered about weight you'd go SRAM or Campag!

spasypaddy

Postby spasypaddy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 13:49 pm

Di2 makes perfect sense through the winter.

no cables. perfect shifting every time

gbsahne

Postby gbsahne » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:10 pm

CiB wrote:I'm using my Di2 through the winter. I bought it to use it, not to admire it and make it last longer by locking it a garage for 5 months a year. Keep it clean, keep it well lubed, don't ride through salt mines and two-foot deep floods and you'll be ok.

Edit to add don't fall off either. That does a sight more damage than a few hundred miles in winter.

I thought you'd given up riding for the Winter, or was that just adding to Stats?

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:49 pm

I've got SRAM Red derailleurs & shifters and they've lasted two winters so far. No damage on them to speak of.

I'd advise against buying incredibly expensive chains & cassettes for your commuter though. I don't think you really get the best out of them unless they're clean before every ride.

CiB

Postby CiB » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:00 pm

gbsahne wrote:I thought you'd given up riding for the Winter, or was that just adding to Stats?

I had a Damascus-like conversion on Saturday when it was sunny, bright & fun instead of being up at 6:40 on a cold dark December morning, so I got up at 6:40 on Tuesday's cold dark December morning and got back into it. It was fun; I'd recommend it.

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:03 pm

CiB wrote:
gbsahne wrote:I thought you'd given up riding for the Winter, or was that just adding to Stats?

I had a Damascus-like conversion on Saturday when it was sunny, bright & fun instead of being up at 6:40 on a cold dark December morning, so I got up at 6:40 on Tuesday's cold dark December morning and got back into it. It was fun; I'd recommend it.

6:40? Half the day is done by then!

If you can have Dura - Ace have Dura - Ace,

But like was suggested would consider going down a few rungs on chains and cassettes.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Wed Dec 05, 2012 15:13 pm

rubertoe wrote:
CiB wrote:

6:40? Half the day is done by then!

If you can have Dura - Ace have Dura - Ace,

But like was suggested would consider going down a few rungs on chains and cassettes.

Ditto. I am well away on the road by that time.
Back OT. I applied the same logic to Chorus and I am in my second winter.
I don't regret it for a second but I did go for KMC as a replacement chain and will likely go for Centaur cassettes when required.
I buy to use and if something doesn't wear out then it means that I am not using it enough. :wink:
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

gbsahne

Postby gbsahne » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:04 am

When rebuilding the CX for all year use, I removed all of the DA bling and fitted 105 / Tiagra; the DA is going on the road bike I'll build up at some point.

Return to “Commuting Chat”