VR Cycle Trainers/Turbos, or not?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
daviesee

VR Cycle Trainers/Turbos, or not?

Postby daviesee » Wed Dec 05, 2012 14:24 pm

Bad weather time of year so I may be forced into it.

Is the Tacx top of the range VR worth it?
If not, how good is the Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll?
Even that seems expensive so what other alternatives are there?

I just know that I would fall off rollers so would rather stick with trainers but I will heed advice.

I wouldn't say that money is no object but I would rather spend a lot to get it right first time rather than buying lots of cheaper "wrong" gear. Alternatively, rather save money instead of wasting it too.

So many questions. So many opportunities for a flame. :wink:
Last edited by daviesee on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

silverpigeon

Re: Cycle Trainers

Postby silverpigeon » Wed Dec 05, 2012 19:11 pm

Everybody will recommend the TT they have. Mine is a KK Pro which is excellent. I didn't think that the extra money for the Rock & Roll was worth it. Instead I used the money to buy a cheap bike and it is set up permanently to the trainer.
Basso Astra
Principia Ellipse SX
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
Moots Rigormootis

daviesee

Re: Cycle Trainers

Postby daviesee » Wed Dec 05, 2012 23:52 pm

Thanks for the reply.
The more I think about it, the more I think that the whole VR thing is a gimmick. An attractive one but a gimmick none the less. I think I would be as well putting on some powerful tunes to drive me on. Convince me otherwise.....

I was thinking that the Rock and Roll may smooth out my technique but many a review has rated the Road Machine above the Rock and Roll. But then some have advised otherwise, hence the confusion.

I want to get it right first time but the prices seem to ramp up significantly.
I never specifically mentioned it in my original post but a permanent set up is not an option due to space restrictions.

proto

Re: VR Cycle Trainers/Turbos, or not?

Postby proto » Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:22 pm

I've got a Tacx Fortius VR trainer, with TTS4 software. I tend to agree with the VR being a bit of gimmick, but the 'Real Life Video' is quite fun. However, where the Fortius/Bushido really scores is with the Ctalyst software, where you can devise training programmes and routines using different varaibles - HR, time, power, gradient. The training session results can be saved for later analysis/comparison, so progress can be monitored. This is the function I use pretty well all the time and without it I think the trainer would sit in the corner laughing at me, as it is, I'm using it three times a week at the moment.

BillyMansell

Postby BillyMansell » Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:35 pm

I have one of the Tacx VR systems. Some of the software is gimmicky but what I like is the ability to consistently analyse output and that you can upload your real GPS routes and use Google Earth to ride them on the tv - it couldn't be called realistic but it goes some way to evoke memories of the real rides, distract from the reality of being indoors and create a longing to get back out on those roads next year.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Thu Dec 06, 2012 16:48 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.
It was the RLV set up that was enticing. The Bushido is available at .DE for £552 but I think I would need some optional extras.
What would they be?
And then you are at a @ £300 premium over an alternative "standard" but high quality liquid turbo.

amaferanga

Postby amaferanga » Thu Dec 06, 2012 19:36 pm

Velotron or Computrainer might be worth a look if money isn't really a concern.
More problems but still living....

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Thu Dec 06, 2012 22:42 pm

amaferanga wrote:Velotron or Computrainer might be worth a look if money isn't really a concern.

Ha!
Going for the Tacx may not be stretching the budget but that certainly is.
=> Immediately erases all traces in the memory => :wink:

vanillakevin

Postby vanillakevin » Fri Dec 07, 2012 16:23 pm

We sell both Kinetic models but I personally use the road machine and have been 100% happy with it. If space is an issue it folds up smaller than the Rock & Roll due to its smaller footprint. The rock & roll has wider frame/feet to help its stability.

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Fri Dec 07, 2012 21:51 pm

vanillakevin wrote:We sell both Kinetic models but I personally use the road machine and have been 100% happy with it. If space is an issue it folds up smaller than the Rock & Roll due to its smaller footprint. The rock & roll has wider frame/feet to help its stability.

Thanks.
When I said space was a restriction, I was referring to a permanent set up. I have a planned area of 3m x 2m but it is normally an area that access is needed through. i.e. setup, suffer, put away. :wink:
Would the Rock and Roll fold away small enough to fit under a double bed? Or the Road machine?

vanillakevin

Postby vanillakevin » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 am

Yes both would fit under a double bed

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:04 pm

vanillakevin wrote:Yes both would fit under a double bed

Cool!
Now I have a back up plan should "The Beast From The East" rear it's ugly head again.
I would much rather be out on the road but needs will must. :wink:

Danny_B9

Postby Danny_B9 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:16 pm

I also was in the same situation a couple of weeks a go needing a turbo, didnt want to over spend but didnt want to underspend, in the end I went for the KK road machine. Use it ever morining and it feels solid, good qaulity and lifetime warranty. Also all the comments I have read about how good there service is helped alot. Well worth the money and hopefully lasts. Just persuaded the GF's dad too to buy one too.

Its not really that loud neither, I can hear the TV on a reasonable volume. I also like how the fluid unit cannot leak by the way it is designed, gives you a little more peice of mind and even if it did leak im sure they would replace it anyway. Good luck.
Cannondale Supersix Apex

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:54 pm

Has anyone tried the Tacx Paris Roubaix/Hell of the North RLV? Guessing there is no way to simulate the pave, but do you get increased resistance when riding the sectors?

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 07:50 am

vanillakevin wrote:We sell both Kinetic models but I personally use the road machine and have been 100% happy with it. If space is an issue it folds up smaller than the Rock & Roll due to its smaller footprint. The rock & roll has wider frame/feet to help its stability.

Sod it. That's another day missed due to ice.
Anyone know of anywhere with discounts? Anyone? :wink:

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 09:27 am

daviesee wrote:

Sod it. That's another day missed due to ice.
Anyone know of anywhere with discounts? Anyone? :wink:

Won't the prices be going up? Which one are you after? I quite liked the look of the Tacx i Flow which I have seen on Rose for £430.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/tacx ... aid:630462

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 am

I am looking at the Kinetic Rock and Roll.
As Vanillakevin is in the trade, I thought it may be worth a cheeky wee punt. :wink:

You could be right about the price though. Bad weather will raise the demand.

proto

Postby proto » Tue Dec 11, 2012 15:20 pm

As a shameless opportunist, I thought it worth mentioning that that I'll be selling a Tacx Fortius VR trainer in the very near future, complete with a Dell Pc loaded up with Fortius and TTS2 software. Keep your eyes on the 'For Sale' section!

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Tue Dec 11, 2012 15:46 pm

proto wrote:As a shameless opportunist, I thought it worth mentioning that that I'll be selling a Tacx Fortius VR trainer in the very near future, complete with a Dell Pc loaded up with Fortius and TTS2 software. Keep your eyes on the 'For Sale' section!

Key questions.
Why the sale? What are you buying?

Stu517

Postby Stu517 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 18:24 pm

One worth considering is the BKOOL turbo trainer.

It uses video's from raod race stages which automatically adjust the resistance of the trainer as you go along. Very impressive.

You can also use normal route profiles etc if you dont fancy the videos.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”