Mt zoom light weight clamp. Clamping issue

Got a general MTB question that doesn't fit anywhere else? Here's the place.
raceface gt

Mt zoom light weight clamp. Clamping issue

Postby raceface gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:43 pm

As above I've bought one of these of XC racer the light weight version 5.5 grams
looks well made however having an issue trying to clamp on bolt secure but not enough to secure the seat post.
Not wanting to over tighten just in case it snaps or rounds the bolt.

Anyone else had issues with there's ?

MountainMonster

Re: Mt zoom light weight clamp. Clamping issue

Postby MountainMonster » Wed Dec 05, 2012 16:56 pm

It is Aluminium, and the frame is aluminium. Toten it properly, I have over tightened plenty of times and it ended up fine.

lawman

Postby lawman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 17:49 pm

buy a proper one that works and isn't stupidly light to the point you're worried if you tighten it it'll snap :roll:

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 19:49 pm

MountainMonster wrote:It is Aluminium, and the frame is aluminium. Toten it properly, I have over tightened plenty of times and it ended up fine.

Tried again this time ended up rounding the ti bolt and it still didn't secure the seat post.

Why sell a clamp if it don't work ?

Sending back for refund. Back on the hope clamp.

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 19:52 pm

lawman wrote:buy a proper one that works and isn't stupidly light to the point you're worried if you tighten it it'll snap :roll:

More worried about the bolt rounding off.. And guess it did just spent the last 45 mins using a Torq bolt trying to get the thing out :evil:

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:07 pm

Hoooooooooooooooooo Boy..............
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:20 pm

cooldad wrote:Hoooooooooooooooooo Boy..............

Threaders is an understatement more bothered about this.

Got the bolt of in the end. Spoke to xc racer
Last edited by raceface gt on Fri Dec 07, 2012 14:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minley1

Postby minley1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:43 pm

image.jpg

How bout one of these?

bennett_346

Postby bennett_346 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 20:55 pm

I'm not even gonna comment for fear someone will get extremely offended.

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 21:00 pm

minley1 wrote:
image.jpg

How bout one of these?

Got plenty of them.

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Wed Dec 05, 2012 21:01 pm

bennett_346 wrote:I'm not even gonna comment for fear someone will get extremely offended.

I don't hold a grudge buddy :wink:

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Wed Dec 05, 2012 21:48 pm

bennett_346 wrote:I'm not even gonna comment for fear someone will get extremely offended.

Don't worry, the whooooooooooooosh is strong with this one.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

.blitz

Postby .blitz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 09:12 am

raceface gt wrote:As above I've bought one of these of XC racer the light weight version 5.5 grams. Anyone else had issues with there's ?

As it happens I've got one of these on the Rize - not that a few g makes any difference :) - and it works very well. I like the way it's almost invisible and the only issue I had with it was that the bolt didn't stay tight at first but a smear of blue Loctite fixed it.

IIRC it says 5 Nm on the clamp which is pretty much standard for that size bolt.

njee20

Postby njee20 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:12 am

Mine's been fine too, although there was talk of including a steel bolt, so you may not be the first to have issues with the ti one.

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:07 am

.blitz wrote:
raceface gt wrote:As above I've bought one of these of XC racer the light weight version 5.5 grams. Anyone else had issues with there's ?

As it happens I've got one of these on the Rize - not that a few g makes any difference :) - and it works very well. I like the way it's almost invisible and the only issue I had with it was that the bolt didn't stay tight at first but a smear of blue Loctite fixed it.

IIRC it says 5 Nm on the clamp which is pretty much standard for that size bolt.

Mine doesn't have a nm Torq size on there but in the end I garthed it on to the point the thing would snap.
Still didn't work that's with both bolts.

I've sent back to Xc racer for there other version better clamp the 9.8 gram version

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:12 am

The actual wrap around clamp section is distorted by the bolt tension to create the clamping force, the thinner the wrap part, the more easily it distrorts giving BETTER clamping.....make the clamp beefty enough and you'd never clamp the seatpost (logical really).

Suspect your issue was more to do with doing up the bolt than the wrap around clamp section.

.blitz

Postby .blitz » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:03 pm

raceface gt wrote:I've sent back to Xc racer for there other version better clamp the 9.8 gram version

Have got one of those as well. Carbon post in an ally frame. Again no probs very discrete. A smear of carbon assembly paste helps reduce the clamping force.

There are some little 5g sachets on Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39481

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:28 pm

The Beginner wrote:The actual wrap around clamp section is distorted by the bolt tension to create the clamping force, the thinner the wrap part, the more easily it distrorts giving BETTER clamping.....make the clamp beefty enough and you'd never clamp the seatpost (logical really).

Suspect your issue was more to do with doing up the bolt than the wrap around clamp section.

Yeah issue not with the clamp but the bolt not tightening up enough.

raceface gt

Postby raceface gt » Thu Dec 06, 2012 15:30 pm

.blitz wrote:
raceface gt wrote:I've sent back to Xc racer for there other version better clamp the 9.8 gram version

Have got one of those as well. Carbon post in an ally frame. Again no probs very discrete. A smear of carbon assembly paste helps reduce the clamping force.

There are some little 5g sachets on Chain Reaction http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=39481

Yeah using that already buddy .

Clamp sent back now for the other version Xc racer has no issues exchanging the item.

02GF74

Postby 02GF74 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 08:08 am

If you have fitted a lightweight alloy seatpost clamp with a Ti bolt and a carbon fibre seatpost, you may find that even when done up tightly and with carbon paste, the post still slips. :twisted:

You can tighten the bolt further but there is risk of either snapping the bolt, rounding off the hex head, stripping the thread in the clamp, or crushing the seatpost.

Having had this problem, looking at the clamp it is clear that as the clamp is tightened, the clamp ends are getting bent so the gap between then is not longer parallel. The force applied is bending the clamp instead of applying it to the seat tube and post.

To over come this, I have fitted a 0.5 mm washer in the gap so the ends of the clamp are no longer being bent and the force is bringing the ends nearest the seat tube together thus applying it to the seat tube. Obviously the thickness of the washer has to be chosen so that it does not prevent the clamp from being tightened. :thumbup: (it also prevent the clamp from being over tightened)

The photo shows that the gap is almost parallel, there is a slight gap between the washer and the clamp nearest the seat tube - if the washer was not there, then ends furthest away from the seat tube would be would be almost touching.

Return to “MTB General”