The next step for the cycle industry

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
DonDaddyD

The next step for the cycle industry

Postby DonDaddyD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:42 am

So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever.

The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

[Note, this is a Friday thread so grumblebums can feck right off]
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

dhope

Re: The next step for the cycle industry

Postby dhope » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:46 am

DonDaddyD wrote:What or where next?

Jetpacks and cake
Canyon Inflite
Condor Tempo

spen666

Postby spen666 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:48 am

DonDaddyD wrote:So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever. The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

I think you will find that is incorrect unless "ever" means only as far back as say 10 years

In the past there were far more shops and brands of bikes, but as the motorcar became more affordable, people cycled less and shops closed and manufacturers went bust
Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666

gtvlusso

Postby gtvlusso » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:49 am

Upwards and onwards - Importing from Japan is very expensive at the moment, I guess due to the downturn in their economy, so Shimano kit is becoming quite expensive.

Other than that, I want a Hoverboard a la Michael J Fox....

Paul E

Postby Paul E » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:50 am

spen666 wrote:
DonDaddyD wrote:So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever. The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

I think you will find that is incorrect unless "ever" means only as far back as say 10 years

In the past there were far more shops and brands of bikes, but as the motorcar became more affordable, people cycled less and shops closed and manufacturers went bust

Off to a great start :-)
bartman100 wrote:The OP is a troll = moron
The OP actually believes this = moron

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:51 am

spen666 wrote:

When you are right you are right.

So where do you see the industry going next.

Personally I can see more investment in bicycles that come with battery generators - to encourage those who are frankly lazy. Technology is there and with investment powerpacks will become smaller.
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

spen666

Postby spen666 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:54 am

wonder if manufacturers think about putting small combustion engines within their frames to power the bicycles.

novel idea, could be a winner

Perhaps if this takes off, the manufacturers could look at building bikes that could carry more than one person and provide protection from the elements as well. It may mean they need to use 4 wheels rather than 2 on these devices

Probably too radical thinking?

Twittering @spen_666

gtvlusso

Postby gtvlusso » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:58 am

spen666 wrote:wonder if manufacturers think about putting small combustion engines within their frames to power the bicycles.

Perhaps if this takes off, the manufacturers could look at building bikes that could carry more than one person and provide protection from the elements as well. It may mean they need to use 4 wheels rather than 2 on these devices

You missed the step from 2 to 3 wheels; We would be nowhere without:

notsoblue

Postby notsoblue » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:02 pm

More normal bikes you can ride comfortably without even thinking about lycra & clipless. The type of bikes Pashley makes but with a more continental price tag.

WGWarburton

Postby WGWarburton » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:04 pm

DonDaddyD wrote: ....

Personally I can see more investment in bicycles that come with battery generators - to encourage those who are frankly lazy. Technology is there and with investment powerpacks will become smaller.

Electric motorbikes- or more likely, electric scooters. These things are not really bicycles, are they?

I'm thinking along the lines of an electric Honda C90. Though I guess something like a Vespa could work, too.

Cheers,
W.

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:06 pm

Down tube shifting?

Di2/Electronic shifing for the masses?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

spen666

Postby spen666 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 pm

gtvlusso wrote:
spen666 wrote:wonder if manufacturers think about putting small combustion engines within their frames to power the bicycles.

i was rather hoping this time around, evolution would ensure this did not happen

Twittering @spen_666

gtvlusso

Postby gtvlusso » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:26 pm

spen666 wrote:
gtvlusso wrote:

i was rather hoping this time around, evolution would ensure this did not happen

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps Tamworth is a microcosm of human development, took and extra step and is now consequently a step behind everyone else!

DonDaddyD

Postby DonDaddyD » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 pm

Given the rising prices, I don't understand why an existing British (engineering) manufacturer hasn't attempted to create affordable groupsets made here for the masses. Set the price as low as possible (talking Gamecube £129 vs PS2 and Xbox's £350 - £250) it become a barrier to entry - but also have premium groupsets.

But seriously if the Government have no objections to injecting £1billion into cycling infrastructure then it would stand to reason that the market in general would want to capitalise on that.
Food Chain number = 4

mudcow007

Postby mudcow007 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:46 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:Given the rising prices, I don't understand why an existing British (engineering) manufacturer hasn't attempted to create affordable groupsets

isnt that because we err... don't have any engineering/ manufacturing companies left here in blighty?

its all them bloody foreigners fault coming over here...taking our jobs an our wimmin
Keeping it classy since '83

rubertoe

Postby rubertoe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 pm

What about more affordable Alfine type gears? with possibly bigger ratio's.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

EKE_38BPM

Postby EKE_38BPM » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:55 pm

I think DDD has a point here.
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Drfabulous0

Postby Drfabulous0 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:00 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:So the cycling market has exploded. Business is booming, prices still - somehow, and its ridiculous now - appear to be rising, the market isn't showing signs of slowing. There are more bicycle shops than ever and more bike brands than ever.

The bubble will burst, always does. But until it does, where next?

What or where next?

It's simply not true, the so called boom in cycling is entirely fuelled by BSOs from Halfords et al. traditional bike shops selling quality products are struggling, even in the online marketplace, you would be surprised how many major players have the bank managers snarling at the gates. manufacturers are pushing up the prices every year, one of the biggest increased retail prices by 15% last year and had to roll them back 1/2 way through the season because no-one was buying. This squeezes the margins and means that a bricks and mortar bike shop is no longer a realistic business model for most, yes there are more shops opening but they won't last. We have a saying that if you want to make a million in the bike trade you should start with two.

In the future I see most business being done online, more shops closing and more business coming from outside of the UK, the whole way we are set up with distributors in individual countries is not sustainable in the long term.

WGWarburton

Postby WGWarburton » Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:10 pm

DonDaddyD wrote:Given the rising prices, I don't understand why an existing British (engineering) manufacturer hasn't attempted to create affordable groupsets made here for the masses. Set the price as low as possible (talking Gamecube £129 vs PS2 and Xbox's £350 - £250) it become a barrier to entry - but also have premium groupsets.

But seriously if the Government have no objections to injecting £1billion into cycling infrastructure then it would stand to reason that the market in general would want to capitalise on that.

British manufacturing tends to be hi-tech/high margin... think F1, aerospace etc

Have a look at this:
http://bicycledesign.net/2012/09/mando- ... id-e-bike/

The next step for the cycle industry? Maybe not.. but this is the sort of thing you're likely to see from a British engineer... In fact, it was designed by a Brit, in conjunction with a Dutch E-bike expert and Korean manufaturers... That's what British (engineering &) design is all about- collaborative, imaginative, international etc.

Welcome to 21st century Britain.

Cheers,
W.

P.S. Bet it feels really wierd to pedal!

rhext

Postby rhext » Fri Dec 07, 2012 13:43 pm

Shouldn't that be 'The next pedal-turn for the cycle industry'?

Return to “Commuting Chat”