Oakley lenses? Which is best

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
boogi11

Oakley lenses? Which is best

Postby boogi11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 21:35 pm

Hi all, I'm about to invest in a very expensive pair of prescription oakleys, but their seems to be over twenty lens options, can anybody please advise on the most appropriate lens for cycling, please also bare in mind that I will be using these while driving as well.

The lenses I like are black iridium, but I guess their is more to it than my favourite colour

Thanks in advance

loismustdie

Re: Oakley lenses? Which is best

Postby loismustdie » Sat Dec 08, 2012 21:43 pm

Are the transitions lenses available with prescription? I have the 66% to 10% lens in a set of Flak Jackets, and they're ideal for all conditions, including (just about) at night.

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 21:51 pm

Hi,it looks like that is available,

http://www.rxsport.co.uk/categories/Pre ... unglasses/

One of the many options

Asprilla

Postby Asprilla » Sun Dec 09, 2012 08:00 am

I've got transitions in my flak jackets so that I can wear them in the dark and light. That's vital at this time of year when I'm leaving on the dark and riding during sun rise.

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Sun Dec 09, 2012 09:10 am

I have the polarized brown iridium which is recommended for medium to bright light. I also need a pair for more moderate to dull light conditions, but gonna have to wait for those. Bloomin expensive!! Totally worth it tho.

northpole

Postby northpole » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:14 am

I have jawbones fitted with transition prescription lenses - I think they are called emerald, although they don't look particularly green to me! That's my only slightly negative comment. They have proven superb in bright sunshine and I also wear them for my daily commute which means riding in the dark through London. I have no problem recommending them and suspect I'll get the same when it comes to renewal time.

Peter

sungod

Postby sungod » Sun Dec 09, 2012 13:15 pm

my black iridium ones are 10% transmission, good for summer riding in southern europe, but imho the uk sun is never bright enough to need that, and going from sun into shadows/tunnels nasty

as mentioned above a transitions lens would be better if you want the option for really bright conditions

in uk i use a polarized tint around 20%, it's still usable in dull light, even night if the roads are reasonably well lit

if you can get polarized in prescription lenses it's worth considering, it takes out road glare very effectively
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

gsk82

Postby gsk82 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 13:42 pm

i find that the lack of contract with black lensesmens they arent great for evening riding. i peronally love fire iridium lenses, i'm looking at a pair now for non cycling wear that have them in and look proper bo!
Rule #72 // Legs speak louder than words.
Unless you routinely demonstrate your riding superiority and the smoothness of your Stroke, refrain from discussing your power meter, heartrate, or any other riding data

mitchgixer6

Postby mitchgixer6 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 13:57 pm

I have Black Iridium in my prescription Fives. Cracking lens and I don't think it's too dark for the UK, although can really only be used on sunny/bright days.

greasedscotsman

Postby greasedscotsman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 15:42 pm

I would go to an Oakley shop and try a few pairs on. I've never had any great problems with the black lens that others seem to have had. Also I don't think the transition lenses work behind glass, so won't be any good for driving.

themogulman

Postby themogulman » Sun Dec 09, 2012 16:05 pm

As a Dispensing Optician I would consider these things.

1. Transitions wont work in the car so I would rule those out.
2. Is cosmetics(matching the frame)important? If so match the frame.
3. Dont go too dark,however the should be catogerized 0,1,2,3. Avoid 3 as again its not suitable for driving.

My personal choice would be brown polarised. Good all round lens performance and the polarised is great if you are out in the wet with sunlight bouncing off the round.

Although Oakleys look great the majority of cost will be the lenses so its like putting Zipps on a ribble winter bike.

Maybe look at other sunglass frames and ask an Optician to make the lenses up. Any Optician that has a clue should be able to do it at a significantly reduce price compared to Oakleys.

northpole

Postby northpole » Sun Dec 09, 2012 16:39 pm

Where have I been going wrong? Genuine question - I have used my transitions for cycling and driving and have honestly not been aware of any problems for all round vision nor for reading road signs etc. Indeed, because of the curvature of the lenses, I have found them to be better than any sunglasses I have previously worn for driving - particularly where sun is low in sky and shining from varying angles to the side.

So please do clarify what problems you believe to be associated with transitions for driving - I may need to reconsider their use if there is a genuine problem I have not thus far noticed.

Peter

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Sun Dec 09, 2012 16:45 pm

northpole wrote:Where have I been going wrong? Genuine question - I have used my transitions for cycling and driving and have honestly not been aware of any problems for all round vision nor for reading road signs etc. Indeed, because of the curvature of the lenses, I have found them to be better than any sunglasses I have previously worn for driving - particularly where sun is low in sky and shining from varying angles to the side.

So please do clarify what problems you believe to be associated with transitions for driving - I may need to reconsider their use if there is a genuine problem I have not thus far noticed.

Peter

Transitions are activated by the UV element of sunlight. As most UV is filtered by the car windows there is insufficient to activate the Transitions so you don't get the benefit.

I had the same issue with prescription lenses when on my motorbike.

northpole

Postby northpole » Sun Dec 09, 2012 19:28 pm

Don't want to labour this but could different car windows have different impact on uv? If reacting to light is the concern, my transitions seem to be okay and my car is less than 2 years old. I'll certainly double check this next time I'm driving on a sunny day (probably 2013 some time!) in case I have been wearing placebo shades all this time!! :oops:

Peter

themogulman

Postby themogulman » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:08 am

The only transitions that work in the car(behind a windscreen) are transition xtra active. They have been around for about a year and still only go to about 50% of the maximum tint and you wont have them in your spex unless the optician said thats what you were getting. Only availibe in grey and are very good.

IME lots of people think they work in the car as when you walk to your car they go slightly dark, you look at yourself and they look dark and then you just adjust to the light conditions, so yes as northpole suggests he has had placebo spex. Just go to a window that has sun comming in and they wont change by more than 10-20%.
Last edited by themogulman on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bigpikle

Postby Bigpikle » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 am

its the layer of 'plastic' in the laminated glass that has near 100% UV reduction that means any glasses that are activated by UV wont work. Same as the reason that stuff doesnt fade in shop windows like it used to, as the majority of shop windows now have laminated glass in them (except the old shops that havent been upgraded with safety glass or suffered a breakage in the last 20 years).

The toughened glass in nearly all side and rear windows of vehicles doesnt stop UV though, so you may get a slight effect from light coming through those windows, but that isnt helpful when you are trying to cope with whats in front of you.

It should also be noted that Transitions lenses never go clear, so there is always some light reduction even when the glasses dont change, so for a lot of people who dont have particularly sun sensitive eyesight, they get sufficient shading even without any UV activation.
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

racingcondor

Postby racingcondor » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Light Grey Polarised would be good (35% light transmission works in a lot of conditions) and avoid the rather colourful look of many of Oakleys lenses.

The difficulty with Oakleys is that to get the most out of them you have to buy the lense based on it's characteristics rather than colour (I love my Positive Red Iridium for cycling but probably wouldn't wear them off the bike). The bright coloured lenses tend to filter light in a specific way to enhance contrast in certain conditions which is why Oakley sell certain colours for specific sports (can't remember which but one is specifically targeted at fishing).

If you can only have one I'd probably go Photocromic though (VR50).

moonshine

Postby moonshine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 19:22 pm

i have a set of prescription black iridium polarised RX sunnies which i use for driving & sailing
plus a pair of non RX VR50 transitions half jackets, but the ones i use most often are a pair of Grey (clear (93% transmission) to black (16% Transmission)RX transitions, which i use indoors, in the velodrome and in the alps... they suit all outdoors activities perfectly
http://www.theinternetopticians.co.uk/o ... -2660.html
The lens is a prescription only lens (see the info on the lens type. and it is excellent.
But as previously said, doesn't work i the car. I can sit in the office and wear them like normal glasses.

grey transitions on about 1/2 tint Image
grey RX transitions indoors - 93% transmission
VR50 transitions indoors
i'm wearing VR50 transitions in the alps and Helen is wearing std grey polarised lenses

boogi11

Postby boogi11 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 19:53 pm

Ok, opted for a pair of oakley race jacket in black ink with vr28 black iridium polarised lenses, and also orderd some oakley currency Ducati lenses for everyday use.

Ordered from rxsport very very helpful, my nay concern is that the lady said the polarised lenses may mean I can't see the screen in my garmin 800

nunowoolmez

Postby nunowoolmez » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:03 pm

Nah, don't worry. I can see my Garmin screen no probs with my polarized lenses. It's all good.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”