Whoa! Warning if you ride on the pavement

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
gtvlusso

Whoa! Warning if you ride on the pavement

Postby gtvlusso » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:00 am

http://road.cc/content/news/71854-cambr ... g-pavement

Well, he won't get a firearms cert, that's for sure!

mybreakfastconsisted

Re: Whoa! Warning if you ride on the pavement

Postby mybreakfastconsisted » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:01 am

Where I live, pavements are often impassable because of cars parked on the pavement. Driving on the pavement is a criminal offence, and the cars weren't lifted there by chinook.

SteppenHerring

Postby SteppenHerring » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 am

mybreakfastconsisted wrote:Where I live, pavements are often impassable because of cars parked on the pavement. Driving on the pavement is a criminal offence, and the cars weren't lifted there by chinook.

It takes a special kind of c**t to park on a pavement so as to block it to wheelchairs/pushchairs/prams. There seems to be no will on the part of the authorities to deal with this.
mroli wrote:(Michel) Roux has the scary eyes of an inner Begbie...

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:31 am

Yup - lorries often park on the path at a couple of lay-bys that I pass. They seem to think it's fine - despite forcing peds and cyclists into the dual carriageway and screwing up the path.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Adskis

Postby Adskis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:44 am

Two things on this one;

http://goo.gl/maps/cPhVb

1. I used live near where the guy was tugged and the signage is really poor. Earlier up the road he cycled along, the footway is shared use, but there are no end of shared use signs. There is a very well signed shared use footway going left at Milton Road/Arbury Road junction, about 500m from the last blue shared use sign. Considering the state of the some of the shared use footways in Cambridge, I think that his assumption was valid.

2. Is it a 'criminal' conviction? I would not have thought that magistrates could record a criminal conviction for a minor offense. I am happy to be corrected here.

bails87

Postby bails87 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:46 am

Well, he won't get a firearms cert, that's for sure!

Mad. I happened to see the 'personal info' sheet for the bloke who punched me after clipping me with his car, the one who the police didn't want to take any action against.

One of the 'warning flags' up against him was a note to the officers that he's got a shotgun license (as welll as a heck of a temper). :shock:
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:05 pm

Adskis wrote:2. Is it a 'criminal' conviction? I would not have thought that magistrates could record a criminal conviction for a minor offense. I am happy to be corrected here.
All convictions are "criminal" convictions.

freebs

Postby freebs » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:12 pm

I take it from the responses above we (on this site) are now advocating that we should be riding on pavements?!

bg13

Postby bg13 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:13 pm

yplac.com

may give you some idea of how rife poor parking is!

Beware of bad language being used throughout the site!!!
The future is bright, the future is French

Orange 5 Pro
Ribble Audax
On One Scandal 29er

Kieran_Burns

Postby Kieran_Burns » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:15 pm

alfablue wrote:
Adskis wrote:2. Is it a 'criminal' conviction? I would not have thought that magistrates could record a criminal conviction for a minor offense. I am happy to be corrected here.

Not true:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7611370_civil-conviction.html
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

daviesee

Postby daviesee » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 pm

mybreakfastconsisted wrote:Where I live, pavements are often impassable because of cars parked on the pavement. Driving on the pavement is a criminal offence, and the cars weren't lifted there by chinook.

I saw a classic example of this while driving through Dundee recently (I know, I know).
A busy street with lots of businesses, double yellow lines on both sides as it is a narrow street and one side with a wide pavement.
A pavement full of parked cars and vans.

Really, this Country's deficit could be wiped out next month just by traffic wardens and Police slapping tickets on all illegally parked vehicles.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:27 pm

freebs wrote:I take it from the responses above we (on this site) are now advocating that we should be riding on pavements?!

It is a bit of a grey area discussed in other places including here.

If I can quote a couple of pargraphs that resonate.

On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. The then Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

“The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.”

Most of us will realise that riding on the road is generally the quickest, safest and easiest way to ride, but I confess to riding on the pavement for short distances when I consider a stretch of road or a junction particularly dangerous. If doing this I will always ride slowly and give way to pedestrians.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

alfablue

Postby alfablue » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Kieran_Burns wrote:
alfablue wrote:

Not true:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7611370_civil-conviction.html
:D Correction: all convictions pursued by the state are criminal convictions.

Adskis

Postby Adskis » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 pm

freebs wrote:I take it from the responses above we (on this site) are now advocating that we should be riding on pavements?!

@ Freebs,
I might have misread some of the earlier posts, but I am not sure that anyone was advocating riding on a footway.

The guy said that he believed he was legally riding on a shared use footway. He was not.
That was his argument in court.

See here;
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Cy ... 122012.htm

My point was that the signage is poor, and I can see how easy it would be to make that assumption.

Anti_Podean

Postby Anti_Podean » Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:00 pm

bg13 wrote:yplac.com

Ha! I didn't realise there was more than one of those sites. The one I knew about was YouParkLikeAnAsshole.com, which may have a better chance of making it through work web filters than the one you listed. :lol:

Not sure if YPLAC does it, but the latter lets you print out strips of paper with the website address on to leave under a windscreen wiper. Though I'd imagine getting caught leaving one may get a bit sweary...

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Mon Dec 10, 2012 13:44 pm

Only advocated when it's a shared use path.

That said, there's a section of path I use that is pretty ambiguous. It runs alongside the dualled section of the A9 and, frankly, nobody in their right mind would ride along the A9 there. The path (about 1 mile) is signposted at one end as being shared use and is frequented by cyclists in a ratio exceeding 10:1 cyclists to peds. In a letter I recently received from Traffic Scotland, it would seem that the path is intended to be shared use but isn't up to the standards required to be "officially" shared used. If I were ever prosecuted for riding on it, I would need to ask to have another 500 offences taken into consideration :wink:
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Koncordski

Postby Koncordski » Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:06 pm

Should have just paid the fine, bit like when i finally got busted for driving in that bus lane between teddington and twickenham. I shouldn't have been in it, i got caught, i paid up.
----------------
#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
#2 Boeris Italia race steel
#3 Scott CR1 SL
#4 Trek 1.1 commuter
#5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)

bails87

Postby bails87 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:19 pm

Koncordski: I'm not sure I agree with that. Imagine a motorist was driving along a NSL road, they come to a T-junction, turn and carry on at 60mph. Then they get stopped a mile later by a police car, having passed no signs, only to be told that the limit on the 'new' road was 40mph so they were going to get points and a fine for speeding. I'm sure that would be contested.

The comment form the councillor of "if there are no signs then assume you can't cycle there" is daft. How far apart do the signs have to be? This pavement is shared use, but there are only signs at the beginning and end of it, at least a mile apart.
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

memsley89

Postby memsley89 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 14:30 pm

road.cc wrote: was one of 40 cyclists who were caught on the pavement in Arbury Road in a police sting.

One of 40! Surely this backs up his statement of lack of signage, if 39 others are also doing it... stooopid.
Racing the 2016 season with Team ASL360
............... Big thanks to our sponsors ...............
............... Kinesis UK Reflex Nutrition ..............

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 15:16 pm

Cambridge police don't like cyclists.

Return to “Commuting Chat”