Softshell Jacket

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Bloz

Softshell Jacket

Postby Bloz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 16:38 pm

Hi am looking for a softshell - I feel the cold but generally try to avoid riding in the rain, have already got a good waterproof. I was thinking about the Gore Phantom 2, dhb Windslam Roubaix, or the Giordana Silverline - anyone got any views about these good or bad ? Thanks.

styxd

Re: Softshell Jacket

Postby styxd » Mon Dec 10, 2012 16:49 pm

Bloz wrote:Hi am looking for a softshell - I feel the cold but generally try to avoid riding in the rain

So when do you actually ride your bike then? :D

Camus

Postby Camus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 21:42 pm

I have some Giordana silverline bib knickers and the quality and fit are great, if that's any use. I'd imagine that carried to other products in the same line.

FatTed

Postby FatTed » Tue Dec 11, 2012 05:30 am

I have the Gore phantom (not the 2) it is warm, less than 10 centigrade. MTB fit, I prefer the Rapha Winter Jersey.
If the phantom had zip vents it would be really good.

Peat

Postby Peat » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:06 am

I've got one of the Aldi £15 soft-shells. So good that i usually get too hot if ambient gets above 6/7 degrees. It's lovely, you don't feel the wind cutting through you like a knife.

Flasher

Postby Flasher » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 am

FatTed wrote:I have the Gore phantom (not the 2) it is warm, less than 10 centigrade. MTB fit, I prefer the Rapha Winter Jersey.
If the phantom had zip vents it would be really good.

?? it has zip off sleeves, and you're allowed to unzip them just a little bit :wink:

Phantom is a great general all-rounder, and fairly water resistant too. But buy a size smaller than normal as they come up quite large as they are MTB fit.

djm501

Postby djm501 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:29 am

I also have an Aldi soft shell and it is excellent. However, I think these things were a one-off deal (maybe to be eventually repeated) were they not? Can you still get them? If so, I'm going back!

Robert72

Postby Robert72 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:08 am

try Decathlon, they had some on sale last week.

InkZ

Postby InkZ » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:15 am

I have a Gore Phantom. I wear it with a merino base layer and haven't felt the cold yet, it's probably been down to about 1 or 2 degrees. On the days with the hardest rain in the summer I've stayed dry on my 15 minute commute, I reckon it'll probably keep me dry for double that but not much longer. Kept me warm for 50 miles on Sunday, not sure what the temp was prob about 5 degrees.

I wore it through autumn but with the sleeves off and then put the sleeves on as it got colder.

Probably my favourite bit of kit I own.

littleprawn

Postby littleprawn » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:23 am

djm501 wrote:I also have an Aldi soft shell and it is excellent. However, I think these things were a one-off deal (maybe to be eventually repeated) were they not? Can you still get them? If so, I'm going back!

+ 1 for Aldi Jacket. Wore mine at just below freezing with synthetic thick Cantebury baseline for the hour commute.

Have a friend who also has Gore Phantom and also rates this jacket too.
Cannondale CAADX 5 105
Trek T10

Fevmeister

Postby Fevmeister » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:16 pm

I have a pearl izumi one and its fantastic!

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 15:01 pm

Btwin windproof softshell from decathlon cheaper than most branded jackets comes with zipped vents and 3 rear pockets plus loads of reflective detail. Used mine down to -8 last year with just a base layer on underneath ok up to 8 / 10 degrees but a bit warm after that. Not as sweaty as the Aldi i had previously.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

nferrar

Postby nferrar » Wed Dec 12, 2012 15:25 pm

Gore Phantom - good, fairly breathable, windproof and shower resistant. I rarely take the arms off mine but it's come in useful a couple of times. The cut is fairly generous (it's an MTB jacket really not a roadie one) so depending on your build it might be flappy in places.
Gore Xenon (softshell version) - similar to the Phantom but arms don't detach and is race cut
Assos Habu - very nice but not quite as warm as the Phantom (it's not designed to be though), race fit cut and amazingly breathable
Assos 851 Airblock - I bought mine in way too big a size so it suffers as a result, if I'd bought it the right size I don't think I'd wear the Phantom on the road anymore
Assos Bonka - not ridden in it yet but cut is great (mille for me :p ) and has some neat features
Altura Nightvision (softshell) - pretty average, more a commuter softshell IMO, good VFM though
Endura Stealth - waterproof but not very breathable, only use it when it's sub zero really

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 13:42 pm

Gore Phantom 2 here with a nice warm baselayer and a fleece thermal jersey, i am pretty well insulated and not necessarily over heated. i commute 10miles each trip on a daily basis and does it around 35min with traffic and stopping so fairly decent speed. the bits i can't feel or rather are frozen in the last few days are my face, ears and nose...also my toes and fingers...must remember to wear overshoes and have thicker gloves :!:

sorry, not bothered with other ones as i just went to Gore cos it was heavily discounted and had awesome reviews. it is wind proof, breathable, but i still need to unzip the top bit otherwise i will be sweating hard. definitely can fend off a light drizzle, but heavier than that a race rain cape, which you have, will be needed over the top. unless you are willing to pay £200 for a proper gortech material shell jacket with fleece inside then i guess you need these layers. also layers offer versatility, so you can strip layers off as the weather changes.
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Thu Dec 13, 2012 17:03 pm

Endura Windchill Jacket is very popular with me and my riding buddies...Reasonably water resistant for light showers, lots of well placed vents and a nice fabric

Alternatively if you want something properly warm, try their Stealth Jackets, which are waterproof too. Those are proper (above Zero and you ll be too hot) warm!
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Reane_Machine

Postby Reane_Machine » Thu Dec 13, 2012 17:18 pm

Fevmeister wrote:I have a pearl izumi one and its fantastic!

+1 for PI.

I got mine and it's changed my cycling life. I hated the wind chill but now my torso is the warmest part of me!

Only downside it that it's highlighted all the other areas that are colder :(

I got the Elite Barrier jacket and I wear it with a jersey and a tee shirt underneath, it's more than adequate even in this winter weather!
Hills are like half life - they wait until you're 50% recovered from one before hitting you in the face with the next.

http://handlebarpov.tumblr.com/

Road - Felt Z95 - FCN 3
MTB - Broken ( :( ) but was FCN 7

Return to “Road General”