Wheels overbuilt for me?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
on-yer-bike

Wheels overbuilt for me?

Postby on-yer-bike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 am

I bought some hand built wheels that although new weren't built built for me. After doing some research I think they may be too stiff for my weight and power at the expense of being heavier than they need to be. They are CK R45 hubs, with 32/32 spoke Achetype rims. In an ideal world I think I would only need 28/24 or even 24/24 especially with these rims. Not sure whether to keep them with view to changing the rims to Ambrosio Exellights or DT in the future or just sell them on and start again? I also quite like the idea of 23mm wide rims.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

daviesee

Re: Wheels overbuilt for me?

Postby daviesee » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

I am currently reading "It Is Not About The Bike" by Lance, as I was given it and thought I may as well get some background even if one sided..... going off on a tangent.
Anyway, he talks about going on a training run on his lightweight bike with "only" 32 spokes front and back.

I think some manufacturers are pushing the envelope of design which is fine for the elite but "normal" cyclists are buying into it unnecessarily.
It depends on the level that you cycle at.
None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.

cougie

Postby cougie » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:35 pm

How heavy are you - and what are they to be used for ?

32 spokes used to be pretty standard - even if a spoke goes - they'll stay pretty true. If you get a truly lightweight wheel and bust a spoke - you'll be calling for a lift.

Unless its for racing - I'd probably keep them and save the money.

bendertherobot

Postby bendertherobot » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:42 pm

I have rs80s and I'd happily swap them for Chris king archetypes with 32 spokes
My blog: www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:01 pm

on-yer-bike wrote:I bought some hand built wheels that although new weren't built built for me. After doing some research I think they may be too stiff for my weight and power at the expense of being heavier than they need to be. They are CK R45 hubs, with 32/32 spoke Achetype rims. In an ideal world I think I would only need 28/24 or even 24/24 especially with these rims. Not sure whether to keep them with view to changing the rims to Ambrosio Exellights or DT in the future or just sell them on and start again? I also quite like the idea of 23mm wide rims.

Not to be rude, but you have been going on about these for a quite a while. You got them as a bargain, now you have them, ride them, enjoy them and if you don't enjoy them, then think what to do next or sell them to someone who will enjoy them... you are obsessing over this handful of grams that won't make any difference whatsoever to your ride.
Personally I think you have a nice set of wheels by all standards and if they are properly built they will be a joy to ride for a long time.
If you get rid of 12 spokes in total, that's 100 grams including the nipples, it's not like shiting a stone off your bike, is it?

racingcondor

Postby racingcondor » Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:11 pm

Without knowing what you weight and how/where you ride it's impossible to say.

That wheel set is going to be very strong but Ugo is right in that it's not a bad thing to have wheels that are stronger than strictly necessary.

gwillis

Postby gwillis » Mon Dec 17, 2012 13:26 pm

As ugo says they are lovely rims . Tip a water bottle out before riding or make sure you have a movement before you leave the house .... 100grammes saved inc toilet paper ;)

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 14:11 pm

You're right Ugo - havent used them because of the weather and a friend is lusting after them. Im 73 kg and ride about 5500 hilly miles p.a. including the odd sportive. They're to go on a Pegoretti which is already quite a hefty bike. Ive been using Neutrons which have stayed true but arent serviceable regarding the worn out rear rim and free hub.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 17, 2012 14:20 pm

on-yer-bike wrote:You're right Ugo - havent used them because of the weather and a friend is lusting after them. Im 73 kg and ride about 5500 hilly miles p.a. including the odd sportive. They're to go on a Pegoretti which is already quite a hefty bike. Ive been using Neutrons which have stayed true but arent serviceable regarding the worn out rear rim and free hub.

Give them to your friend then and order a set of 28... they will be pretty much the same thing... are you sure the Pegoretty doesn't want the TB 14? :D

styxd

Postby styxd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:25 pm

32 spoke wheels are fine, 73kg isnt particularly light, cant see the problem really. I was half tempted by those wheels though, but the rims pur me off since they are 100g heavier than the Stans.

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 15:53 pm

Who is Stan?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

styxd

Postby styxd » Mon Dec 17, 2012 16:13 pm

on-yer-bike wrote:Who is Stan?

Return to “Road Buying Advice”