FYI - Strava

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
rowlers
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:03 am

FYI - Strava

Postby rowlers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:04 pm

Just had word today about a bike stealing gang, that have been caught operating in the Barrow area.
£8ks worth of bikes recovered, my mates wasn't one of them, but he was informed by the police that they were using Strava & Endomondo to track routes and times etc. to find out where the bikes are.

Prob best to make all your rides private.

User avatar
Charlie Potatoes
Posts: 1692
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 18:21 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby Charlie Potatoes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:38 pm

rowlers wrote:Prob best to make all your rides private.


Or just list your bike as an Apollo. That should throw them off the scent :wink:
"You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul

User avatar
MajorMantra
Posts: 2037
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 21:29 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby MajorMantra » Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:42 pm

You can use the privacy options to disguise the start/finish of your rides. Not sure how effective it would be if you live somewhere remote though.

clelanj
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 20:27 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby clelanj » Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:51 pm

Interesting - thanks for posting

TakeTurns
Posts: 998
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:31 am

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby TakeTurns » Mon Dec 17, 2012 18:54 pm

No problem -I sleep with my bike.

mallorcajeff
Posts: 1899
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 19:57 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby mallorcajeff » Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:07 pm

you can set up a privacy zone I belive. Same thing been happening around croydon by looking at garmin connect I think. Some real low lifes out there. Here we have underground garage with three sliding doors, Metal gates outside and 8 dogs so crack on.

essjaydee
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 19:27 pm
Contact:

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby essjaydee » Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:16 pm

Scumbags :twisted:

Thanks for the tip though. Not something I'd thought about at all :|

iplod
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 13:02 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby iplod » Mon Dec 17, 2012 19:39 pm

Yes, on strava you can edit your ride in the settings so that it gives an exclusion zone around your home start point. You can vary the distance to suit yourself. The exclusion is only on the mapping, and your ride is still logged from your start point as normal.
SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

Trek 5.2 madone 2007
Ribble audax/winter 2010
Bianchi infinto 2012

rowlers
Posts: 1410
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:03 am

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby rowlers » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:00 pm

essjaydee wrote:Scumbags :twisted:

Thanks for the tip though. Not something I'd thought about at all :|

Me neither :roll:

freddiegrubb
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:12 am

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby freddiegrubb » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:00 am

Evening mail report makes a change from Mrs. Smiths cat stuck up a tree. (is the local rag still as bad?)

User avatar
Bustacapp
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:37 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby Bustacapp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:37 am

iplod wrote:Yes, on strava you can edit your ride in the settings so that it gives an exclusion zone around your home start point. You can vary the distance to suit yourself. The exclusion is only on the mapping, and your ride is still logged from your start point as normal.


Won't make any difference really. If they know you go through xyz deserted woods at xyz certain times then they can just jump out and take your bike off you.

Best thing to do is not worry about it and just crack on.

Guanajuato
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 21:41 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby Guanajuato » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:47 am

Thanks. Probably others working the same scheme elsewhere too. I already have a couple of privacy areas, and I usually crop the first and last minute or two from my rides.

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/ba ... te-targets
Last edited by Guanajuato on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

essjaydee
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 19:27 pm
Contact:

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby essjaydee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:48 am

Bustacapp wrote:Won't make any difference really. If they know you go through xyz deserted woods at xyz certain times then they can just jump out and take your bike off you.


Think the main point is,if they can see your start and finish point, and it's the same on every ride, they know where to look for bikes :!:

User avatar
Bustacapp
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:37 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby Bustacapp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:50 am

essjaydee wrote:
Bustacapp wrote:Won't make any difference really. If they know you go through xyz deserted woods at xyz certain times then they can just jump out and take your bike off you.


Think the main point is,if they can see your start and finish point, and it's the same on every ride, they know where to look for bikes :!:


If they're tracking routes and times then that says to me they are lying in wait for you somewhere behind a bush. Much easier to knock you off your bike in the middle of nowhere than to break in to a shed in the middle of suburbia.

essjaydee
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 19:27 pm
Contact:

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby essjaydee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:58 am

Fair point.
Not a lot you can do if you get ambushed out on a ride, and your on your own.
I presumed they where locating homes so they know where to target when it suits them, probably in the wee small hours :|

User avatar
Bustacapp
Posts: 910
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2012 13:37 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby Bustacapp » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:03 pm

essjaydee wrote:Fair point.
Not a lot you can do if you get ambushed out on a ride, and your on your own.
I presumed they where locating homes so they know where to target when it suits them, probably in the wee small hours :|


I use the privacy thing as a rule of thumb. But I don't think it was so accurate as to define your house clearly enough for thieves anyway.

User avatar
Cleat Eastwood
Posts: 7720
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 23:03 pm
Contact:

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby Cleat Eastwood » Tue Dec 18, 2012 14:08 pm

can they track your time on strava - thought it was just miles. Cant really see a bonehead trying to work out sums to cop a specialzed. :lol:
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

User avatar
TheFD
Posts: 871
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 15:08 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby TheFD » Tue Dec 18, 2012 14:30 pm

The only downside is by setting up a privacy it also excludes you from segments with in it. I have one close to my house which I like to use at the end of my run to see how I am doing, but by setting a privacy this segment no longer gets recorded.

The only thing I would say also is - if you are a keen thief then all you need to do is see someone on a nice looking bike and follow them home.
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

essjaydee
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 19:27 pm
Contact:

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby essjaydee » Tue Dec 18, 2012 15:04 pm

TheFD wrote:The only thing I would say also is - if you are a keen thief then all you need to do is see someone on a nice looking bike and follow them home.


FFS :roll: Don't tell em :lol:

Churchill123
Posts: 289
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: FYI - Strava

Postby Churchill123 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:25 pm

mallorcajeff wrote:you can set up a privacy zone I belive. Same thing been happening around croydon by looking at garmin connect I think. Some real low lifes out there. Here we have underground garage with three sliding doors, Metal gates outside and 8 dogs so crack on.



Sounds good.. but i just adopt the Tony Martin approach (not the german TT specialist) and shoot anyone who steps foot on my property! He's something of a local legend round my way


Return to “Road General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: The Cyclist of Catan and 4 guests