Tyre advice(again)

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
nick300zx

Tyre advice(again)

Postby nick300zx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:22 pm

Hi all,

I know this has discussed loads but I'm planning on changing my Vittoria Rubhino Pro 3's.

I can't decide between Vittoria Open Corsa EvoCX or the Conti GP4000S. Great deals around on both right now.

They're going to be used for Sportives, Training, general riding in all weather (not ice or snow :shock: ) oh and probably a London to Paris next year.

Any advice much appreciated.

thegreatdivide

Re: Tyre advice(again)

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Dec 17, 2012 20:52 pm

The Open Corsa is a fast racing tyre that's about as good as it gets for clincher performance. It's the Ferrari of clinchers.

The GP4000s is popular with a lot of folk. It's an all rounder. A bit like a Golf.

:lol:
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

nick300zx

Postby nick300zx » Mon Dec 17, 2012 21:06 pm

thegreatdivide wrote:The Open Corsa is a fast racing tyre that's about as good as it gets for clincher performance. It's the Ferrari of clinchers.

The GP4000s is popular with a lot of folk. It's an all rounder. A bit like a Golf.

:lol:

I'm not going to be racing so will the open corsa's be a complete overkill like driving a Ferrari in a traffic jam?
Mind you the Ferrari option is cheaper than the Golf and I like bit of Italian class 8)

thegreatdivide

Postby thegreatdivide » Mon Dec 17, 2012 21:20 pm

I've posted about the Open Corsa on a few threads. It's a fantastic tyre. I can ride it in the dry and if caught out, in the wet too. My riding mate uses GP4000s and he's had a couple of punctures to my one side wall slash on the rear due to riding into a cut in the road.

The Corsa is a racing tyre because it's the 'Open' version of the Pro's Corsa tubular. As far as I'm aware no Pro teams use GP4000s.

I have Rubino Pro 3's on my everyday, every season bike. Trusty rubber.

Buy a set of Corsa's and a pair of latex inners too. Try them and enjoy them.
"Crevaison sur les paves..."

Hubcap

Postby Hubcap » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:20 pm

I wouldn't think the Corsa's are that suitable as a year round tyre, I've had Open Paves which are supposed to be a bit more puncture resistant that the Corsa's and I can't run them through winter due to punctures. But that's round the Surrey Hills where's there's loads of flints in the road every time it rains so it may depend on the road surfaces that you ride on.

northpole

Postby northpole » Tue Dec 18, 2012 02:09 am

I'm getting to sound like a broken record on this kind of topic but here goes again - Michelin Pro4 Service Course - superb all rounders and there have been some killer offers on them recently.

Peter

Return to “Road Buying Advice”