need new shoes for the fifth time that are wide

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
limoneboy

need new shoes for the fifth time that are wide

Postby limoneboy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:20 pm

Before you shoot me for going over this again let me explain.

I have tried 7 different pairs of shoes and cannot seem to find a pair to fit my wide feet without outer foot pain,
first shoes lakes too narrow by far , second pair bontrager race shoes raise side area caused foot pain ,also changed pedals to iclic which have a larger contact point. third pair northwave vertigo sbs best up to now but are wrecked so looking for a new pair.

the story goes on sorry, tried giro trans way too narrow,tried 2 sizes and sold due to severe side foot pain too tight,then bought some bont a1 used but like new , wide enough but hurt my feet still due to thin base.

so this week tried a pair of northwave typhoon sbs evo's from online same size as my old ones ,too tight.sent back

i am 100's pounds down and getting depressed , i have had cleats fitted so its not that ,all that makes it bearable is voltrol creme on the base of my feet

if you can help in anyway get me shoes i will love please help i am nearly begging. :(
last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1

proto

Re: need new shoes for the fifth time that are wide

Postby proto » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:28 pm

I've got widish feet and a particularly high instep, so struggle to get cycling shoes that to fit well.

Best I've found so far have been Northwave and Specialized.

freddiegrubb

Postby freddiegrubb » Mon Dec 17, 2012 22:38 pm

Try to borrow a pair of wiggle dhb.shoes ,I've got wide feet plus high arches & find them a good fit.

izza

Postby izza » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:01 pm

proto wrote:I've got widish feet and a particularly high instep, so struggle to get cycling shoes that to fit well.

+1 for Spesh.

Plus - when does the paid start? From the beginning of the ride or after a certain distance?

Hubcap

Postby Hubcap » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:11 pm

I know you said you've tried Lake, but have you tried them in their wide fit?

limoneboy

Postby limoneboy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:18 pm

izza wrote:
proto wrote:I've got widish feet and a particularly high instep, so struggle to get cycling shoes that to fit well.

+1 for Spesh.

Plus - when does the paid start? From the beginning of the ride or after a certain distance?

normally when i crank up the watts ,climbing and pushing hard but once its there i have to wait till it numbs.

any spesh shoes you would recommend i will pay top dollar for comfort and have a concept store here in chester.

limoneboy

Postby limoneboy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 23:19 pm

Hubcap wrote:I know you said you've tried Lake, but have you tried them in their wide fit?

No just standards , do you have any you recommend in the range?

cougie

Postby cougie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 00:55 am

Specialized work for me.

northpole

Postby northpole » Tue Dec 18, 2012 02:03 am

Sidi Mega designated shoes are specifically wide fitting - worth a shot if you haven't tried them.

Peter

bompington

Postby bompington » Tue Dec 18, 2012 06:02 am

freddiegrubb wrote:Try to borrow a pair of wiggle dhb.shoes ,I've got wide feet plus high arches & find them a good fit.

+1 for DHB, I have wide feet ~(nearly as wide as long :-)) and mine are very comfortable.

giant man

Postby giant man » Tue Dec 18, 2012 06:47 am

+1 - Sidi Mega
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finding the right saddle is the holy grail for the cyclist, good luck, it may take some time .....

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:14 am

limoneboy wrote:
Hubcap wrote:I know you said you've tried Lake, but have you tried them in their wide fit?

I love Lake. I've been using the 236, and just ordered the 331, which is thermo formable - you put them in the oven and then tighten them onto your foot and they adapt the foot shape. Wicked!

And they are BOA, so just one adjuster to turn, simple, light, aero.

They do them in a wide fit too, but even the normal ones are tricky to find, seems no new stock is arriving.

(Used Sidi for 10 years+ and loved them, but they are still the same after all this time, and horrifically expensive).
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

staffo

Postby staffo » Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:21 am

I have the same problem and found Northwave Vertigo to be the best fit by far. I've tried Sidi Mega and Shimano wide fit versions and they aren't as wide as the Vertigos. I haven't tried any Specialized shoes for a couple of years but when I did I didn't find them wide at all.

I'm thinking of looking at the wide fit Bonts next but I'm struggling to find anywhere that stocks them in the UK.

FatTed

Postby FatTed » Tue Dec 18, 2012 08:24 am

Bont will custom make shoes for you

bobinski

Postby bobinski » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:19 pm

I have largeish bunions and find the wide shimano shoes accomodate the width but i have to go up a sise too :roll: Aside from that which might reflect the point at which my feet are at their widest shimano shoes have been great.

Hubcap

Postby Hubcap » Tue Dec 18, 2012 16:51 pm

limoneboy wrote:

I've got the custom fit CX401 in a wide fit and they are very wide. Use the Lake sizing chart http://www.lakecycling.com/fitting-chart.html to measure your feet and then see which ones fit you from their chart (click on the Measuring Chart link near top of page), you would probably want to have a few spare mm's length in the shoe so don't go for one that is exactly the same size as your measurements.

The 401's are pricey but there are other wide fit shoes they do if you don't want to spend that much. The only problem you might have is getting them as they aren't widely available, I got mine from a place called Leisure Outlet who seem to get a good supply of wide ones in from the importer.

RubbishCyclist

Postby RubbishCyclist » Tue Dec 18, 2012 19:14 pm

Shimano do R087's in a wide fitting and maybe others i guess

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-r087-ro ... ing-shoes/

crankycrank

Postby crankycrank » Tue Dec 18, 2012 20:53 pm

Giro supposedly was going to offer wide versions of some of their shoes but don't know if or when that will happen. Try emailing Giro. Many shoe makers offer wide models but don't advertise this. If you have a shoe that interests you contact the mfr. about wide options.

Stueys

Postby Stueys » Wed Dec 19, 2012 06:35 am

Shoes are hard to get right. I've wide feet and Spesh seem to work for me. I ordered a tonne from wiggle, tried them all on for an hour at home and sent back what didn't fit comfortably. Worked far better than a shop for me as I could spend as much time as I wanted in the shoes.

RC856

Postby RC856 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 19:28 pm

Another vote for Spesh. I love my S Works.
If you have a concept store, it's definitely worth paying them a visit.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”