Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
User avatar
Pinno
Posts: 18591
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2009 15:37 pm
Contact:

Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby Pinno » Fri Dec 21, 2012 15:31 pm

Whats with the underscored words to link for 'free offers', 'congratulations you have won...' bollox blah blah ?
"It's really tough to make a living, but a man's just gotta try" Disgruntledgoat - who owe's me 10 Goat Bucks

S - The womens Brazilian beach volleyball team
W - Wiggle Honda

Seantheconn: más afeminado que un jamboree de Guías Internacional

User avatar
Rolf F
Posts: 13574
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 09:29 am

Re: Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby Rolf F » Fri Dec 21, 2012 16:27 pm

I'm more annoyed by the crappy little green popup survey box that appears everytime I log on to this site now. I may have to respond to it very rudely.
Faster than a tent.......

User avatar
Bobbinogs
Posts: 3997
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 19:52 pm

Re: Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby Bobbinogs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 21:47 pm

Rolf F wrote:I'm more annoyed by the crappy little green popup survey box that appears everytime I log on to this site now. I may have to respond to it very rudely.


Yeah, I thought I would do the decent thing and go through the survey...about 20 different screens later I gave up (no, I don't give fig what the differences between smart phones are) and now just close it every time. Surely these marketing muppets know there is a limit as to how helpful folks want to be?

User avatar
mfin
Posts: 5080
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 21:46 pm

Re: Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby mfin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 08:48 am

edit, it wont let me type what I want but by using Firefox with a couple of good common add-ons a lot of websites inc BR have some frustrations dealt with
.

User avatar
Peddle Up!
Posts: 1810
Joined: Fri May 30, 2008 19:10 pm

Re: Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby Peddle Up! » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:38 am

Bobbinogs wrote:
Rolf F wrote:I'm more annoyed by the crappy little green popup survey box that appears everytime I log on to this site now. I may have to respond to it very rudely.


Yeah, I thought I would do the decent thing and go through the survey...about 20 different screens later I gave up (no, I don't give fig what the differences between smart phones are) and now just close it every time. Surely these marketing muppets know there is a limit as to how helpful folks want to be?


Snap! I don't mind 3-4 pages of general questions but this thing reminded me of the survey forms that used to come in the junk mail requiring answers to over a hundred questions (What is your household income? How much do you have saved? Fasten and zip, or zip and fasten? Etc., etc.). They always went directly to the bin and so does this one.

Note to marketing - keep it short and sensible and people will help you to help maintain the site. Easy, no? :)
Purveyor of "up" :)

User avatar
briantrumpet
Posts: 1696
Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 22:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby briantrumpet » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:05 am

mfin wrote:edit, it wont let me type what I want but by using Firefox with a couple of good common add-ons a lot of websites inc BR have some frustrations dealt with

It's only when I use other people's computers using IE that I realise how good Firefox add-ons are at making nearly all this marketing tripe completely disappear.

ben@31
Posts: 1507
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 23:24 pm

Re: Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby ben@31 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:58 pm

I'm more annoyed by the bias of some of the reviews. The best example I can give is "best bikes under £1000" where big makes and models that are an obvious contender (like Specialized Allez) not even featuring in the review, while others like Boardman had three bikes in there. The first thing that came to my mind was little brown envelopes changing hands.

User avatar
Bunneh
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 16:55 pm

Re: Has BR revenue creation gone completely silly?

Postby Bunneh » Sat Dec 22, 2012 21:00 pm

Normally I don't mind adverts so long as they stay away from being intrusive - sadly a lot on the vast majority of sites are intrusive and I now use advert blocking addons. I'm sorry if they prevent revenue coming into the site but I am not going to buy anything that's advertised here anyway, even bike stuff, because I get it either second hand or from the local bike shop.

I buy a lot of Future magazines. well 3 of them - PC Gamer (and PC Zone until they got rid of it after they bought them out, better mag too), Gamemaster and Cycling Plus. There's plenty of adverts in there, I don't want to see any more.


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests