Saddles - Try before you buy

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
thomaswilliamrogers

Saddles - Try before you buy

Postby thomaswilliamrogers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:28 am

I am intrigued to know whether a new saddle for my road bike would be an improvement on my current generic one. I am in the process of upgrading my cycle shorts as I have been relying on so cheap Aldi ones until now and they are crippling after 25 miles.

However I wondered whether a saddle change would also boost comfort. I have been looking at the Selle Italia range, but as with other users I don't want to spend on a saddle to find out it is rubbish.

I have heard that some shops offer a try before you buy service and wondered if anyone could suggest any possible services available that offer the chance to borrow a saddle to test it out.

Thanks

Tom

RRSODL

Re: Saddles - Try before you buy

Postby RRSODL » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 am

]My guess is the main problem is the saddle as you shouldn't have that kind of problems for only 25 miles, even on cheap Aldi shorts.

I'm not sure if you know about this thread

Gizmodo

Postby Gizmodo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:54 pm

Aldi shorts are OK but you are better off trying tights/shorts with a better quality pad. I'm assuming that you have the saddle height and forward/backward adjustment correct.
Six Steps for Bottom Bliss

The search for "the" saddle is one that can take years, I am still looking for a saddle that is comfortable over 50 miles. Everyone is individual and will find different saddles comfortable for them.
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12889894

Get down your local bike shop and talk to them. Some have systems for measuring your sit bones. Fizik do bright yellow test saddles that you can borrow from a participating shop. Specialized do a 30 day swap guarantee.

Another alternative is a guy on this forum that has started a business "renting" out saddles so you can try any model you wish. See http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12883890

thomaswilliamrogers

Postby thomaswilliamrogers » Thu Dec 27, 2012 15:54 pm

Many thanks for the advice. I am still going to upgrade my shorts anyway as the ones I have are pretty useless. However I am going to pop to my local bike shop for some advice. I notice that when riding the discomfort I get is right from underneath me as though Im sat directly on the perineum and I am thinking that an SMP saddle with the cutout may relieve some of this pressure. Hope fully my local shop can assist.

Tom

Return to “Road General”