Spoke Lengths for wheel build

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
mitchgixer6

Spoke Lengths for wheel build

Postby mitchgixer6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:28 pm

Hi all.

So I'm considering buying the bits for a wheel build. I've put all the figures into a few spoke length calculators and they both seem to give the same numbers, so I must have got something right!

The recommended sizes are 257mm, 262mm + 259mm. Now the exact sizes on the calculators came out as 255.9, 261.5 + 257.7.

My question is would I get away with spokes that are 258, 262 + 258? I can get these sizes for a good price at Planet X so would be ideal if they would work. Does 1 or 2mm really matter for spoke lengths?

Also I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible so could I lace the wheels up with minimal tension before taking to a LBS to get them tensioned/trued/dished etc?

Thanks guys.

nicklouse
Lives Here

Re: Spoke Lengths for wheel build

Postby nicklouse » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:40 pm

What hubs?
What rims? ERD?

That patten?

What nipple length?

What calc did you use?

And don't bother any assembly I you are not going to finish them. If ou have it wrong you will be charged for the unbuild.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

mitchgixer6

Postby mitchgixer6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:53 pm

I used the DT Swiss calculator as well as some other generic one to confirm the calculations. I would be using DT Swiss Aerolight spokes.

I would be going for Planet X R50 rims (ERD 539.4mm). Novatec Hubs A291SB/A482SB. Radial lacing on front and 2 x on rear. Nipple length I'm not too sure on but guessed at 14mm.

Any use?

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 17:54 pm

mitchgixer6 wrote:Hi all.

So I'm considering buying the bits for a wheel build. I've put all the figures into a few spoke length calculators and they both seem to give the same numbers, so I must have got something right!

The recommended sizes are 257mm, 262mm + 259mm. Now the exact sizes on the calculators came out as 255.9, 261.5 + 257.7.

My question is would I get away with spokes that are 258, 262 + 258? I can get these sizes for a good price at Planet X so would be ideal if they would work. Does 1 or 2mm really matter for spoke lengths?

Also I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible so could I lace the wheels up with minimal tension before taking to a LBS to get them tensioned/trued/dished etc?

Thanks guys.

Keeping the cost to a minimum with carbon rims and CX ray spokes? Just guessing from the sizes... 8)

Rear fine, the front will be a bit too long. However, you're only 2 mm over, so if you don't tell Harry Rowland, you'll probably be OK. Problem is CX ray have a short thread, so you can't buy them too long... you are probably OK just.
Starbike in Germany has all the lengths and the silver ones are "reasonably priced". You know you need a spoke holder for those?

mitchgixer6

Postby mitchgixer6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:01 pm

Thanks for the reply Paolo! Yes trying to keep the prices to a minimum with expensive rims and spokes seems a bit silly, but just trying to get the best set of wheels possible for least outlay. Those R50 rims are only £85 just now on Planet X so that seems like too good a price to pass up.

Thanks for the info on that site for the spokes. Was initially going to go for the DT Swiss Aerolites, but would be happy with Sapims too....

IS the spoke holder just to keep the spokes straight whilst tightening them?

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:05 pm

mitchgixer6 wrote:Thanks for the reply Paolo! Yes trying to keep the prices to a minimum with expensive rims and spokes seems a bit silly, but just trying to get the best set of wheels possible for least outlay. Those R50 rims are only £85 just now on Planet X so that seems like too good a price to pass up.

Thanks for the info on that site for the spokes. Was initially going to go for the DT Swiss Aerolites, but would be happy with Sapims too....

IS the spoke holder just to keep the spokes straight whilst tightening them?

Yes, you can in principle use pliers, but as the tension goes up, they become ineffective. You can build one by sawing a 1 mm fissure in a block of nylon, resin or hard wood.
The 291 hub is very fragile, you need a tension meter if you plan to build it radial.

mitchgixer6

Postby mitchgixer6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 18:08 pm

Thanks again for all the help! :D

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 21:18 pm

I'm not sure if you've built wheels before, but I'm not sure I'd start with carbon rims and CX rays. Definitely need a spoker-catcher otherwise you'll put some nice twists into your 2 Euro spokes. Likewise, borrow a tension meter if you don't know what 'tight' is.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

mitchgixer6

Postby mitchgixer6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 22:02 pm

Yeah probably a good idea to hand them over to the LBS to build up I think.

Return to “Workshop”