superstar wheelset

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
welsh_14
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 13:28 pm

superstar wheelset

Postby welsh_14 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 18:53 pm

Hey everyone, I usually only post in the mtb section, and only a few posts in road bit so please be gentle!

I currently have a giant defy 3 2010 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... /#features which is standard at the minute. I've read that the wheels are pretty heavy and thus make climbing etc harder than needs be! (correct me if I'm wrong though!)

Anyway I was browsing superstar and came across their new road wheels, firstly has anyone got a set yet? And second would either of these sets below be an improvement over whats currently on my bike?
these

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=409

or these:

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=685

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 18004
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: superstar wheelset

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Dec 29, 2012 18:58 pm

Planet X is selling Excellight rims on 105 hubs for 169 pounds, which is a steal... that is a real upgrade... leave these and grab those instead

welsh_14
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 13:28 pm

Re: superstar wheelset

Postby welsh_14 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:05 pm

Thanks for the info!

When you say they are a real upgrade how do you mean? I don't doubt they are but being new to upgrading the roadie I would be interested to know!

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 18004
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: superstar wheelset

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:25 pm

welsh_14 wrote:Thanks for the info!

When you say they are a real upgrade how do you mean? I don't doubt they are but being new to upgrading the roadie I would be interested to know!


Lighter rims, better hubs, better built, more durable, every part can be replaced easily... They are just better

limoneboy
Posts: 383
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 22:05 pm

Re: superstar wheelset

Postby limoneboy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 19:34 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:Planet X is selling Excellight rims on 105 hubs for 169 pounds, which is a steal... that is a real upgrade... leave these and grab those instead


yeah i saw these , thought there must be a catch as i want a set of new winter/training wheels and this looked perfect. seemed to cheap as the rims must be close to that
last month wilier gt -this month ? bh rc1

welsh_14
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 13:28 pm

Re: superstar wheelset

Postby welsh_14 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 20:01 pm

Cheers, they look a good set of rims, not that I would know a bad set!! Thanks for the suggestion.

User avatar
ugo.santalucia
Posts: 18004
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:39 am

Re: superstar wheelset

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Dec 29, 2012 20:02 pm

limoneboy wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:Planet X is selling Excellight rims on 105 hubs for 169 pounds, which is a steal... that is a real upgrade... leave these and grab those instead


yeah i saw these , thought there must be a catch as i want a set of new winter/training wheels and this looked perfect. seemed to cheap as the rims must be close to that


They wanted to get rid of the rims, hence they built them up. No catches... Just a good deal... Few sets left... The excursion ones are even cheaper and perfect as winter training wheels

vespario
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2011 20:49 pm

Re: superstar wheelset

Postby vespario » Sat Dec 29, 2012 21:42 pm

I was losing to upgrade from my RS10's. Are thy a worthwhile upgrade? Do you knw the weight? Thanks


Return to “Road Buying Advice”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: darkhairedlord, DJ58, LakesLuddite, Simon Masterson and 15 guests