Cycling etiquette

The place for more serious off topic questions, light hearted banter and friendly chat.
miller153
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 22:25 pm

Cycling etiquette

Postby miller153 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 am

Was out on my bike this morning for a bit of a recreational ride at a light pace when I came up to a junction where a young lady (say the normal hello and what have ya) turns across the road and starts riding in front of me at about the pace I was riding along at.. Now I sit at this pace for a bit when it crosses my mind she might think I'm sitting behind on purpose, so I pick up the pace a little to pass as dont want to spoil her Sunday morning ride out. Now as I've passed her it now looks like I've over taken because I'm a bloke and have to show how fast I am...
What would other people do in this situation and what are the women riders views on having people riding behind them?

User avatar
Simmotino
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:15 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby Simmotino » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:19 pm

I couldn't give a rat's todger what other cyclists think. I ride at my own pace and for my own benefit.

If it's faster or slower than Fat Barry/Sally or Trim Jim/Lynne matters not one jot.

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby team47b » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Bike - clothes - a55

It's the order of things :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

User avatar
De Sisti
Posts: 1086
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 20:04 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby De Sisti » Sun Dec 30, 2012 14:03 pm

Much do to about nothing, really. :roll:

Frank the tank
Posts: 6606
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:22 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby Frank the tank » Sun Dec 30, 2012 16:25 pm

Had she got a nice @rse?

If so bad move. :lol:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

User avatar
random man
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 18:56 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby random man » Sun Dec 30, 2012 17:14 pm

Frank the tank wrote:Had she got a nice @rse?

If so bad move. :lol:


Damn, beat me to it :D
If someone goes past you it's up to them to keep a distance IMO. I was going up the Via Gellia in Derbyshire this morning and a rider from Ashbourne CC (hello if you're reading this) passed me. I jumped on his wheel and he made my ride a lot easier for the next mile or two :D

Frank the tank
Posts: 6606
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:22 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby Frank the tank » Sun Dec 30, 2012 17:18 pm

random man wrote:
Frank the tank wrote:Had she got a nice @rse?

If so bad move. :lol:


Damn, beat me to it :D
If someone goes past you it's up to them to keep a distance IMO. I was going up the Via Gellia in Derbyshire this morning and a rider from Ashbourne CC (hello if you're reading this) passed me. I jumped on his wheel and he made my ride a lot easier for the next mile or two :D

Bloody "wheelsucker" you're always doing that to me. :wink:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

User avatar
nwallace
Posts: 1448
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:01 am

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby nwallace » Sun Dec 30, 2012 18:54 pm

if you're both going at the same speed, then why not "share the wind"

rodgers73
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 15:05 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby rodgers73 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:17 pm

Don't overtake. Ride alongside her and chat her up. Could have ended up shagging her in some woods.

verylonglegs
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:59 am

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby verylonglegs » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:40 pm

rodgers73 wrote:Don't overtake. Ride alongside her and chat her up. Could have ended up shagging her in some woods.


Er, so what is your success rate with that?

rodgers73
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 15:05 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby rodgers73 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 19:42 pm

Massive.

Frank the tank
Posts: 6606
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:22 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby Frank the tank » Sun Dec 30, 2012 20:10 pm

verylonglegs wrote:
rodgers73 wrote:Don't overtake. Ride alongside her and chat her up. Could have ended up shagging her in some woods.


Er, so what is your success rate with that?

You only have to look at his user name. :lol:
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

rodgers73
Posts: 2202
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 15:05 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby rodgers73 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 21:10 pm

Oh yes.

zippy483
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:21 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby zippy483 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:41 pm

Would that be 73 year olds then ;)

User avatar
upperoilcan
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 19:18 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby upperoilcan » Mon Dec 31, 2012 13:32 pm

miller153 wrote:Was out on my bike this morning for a bit of a recreational ride at a light pace when I came up to a junction where a young lady (say the normal hello and what have ya) turns across the road and starts riding in front of me at about the pace I was riding along at.. Now I sit at this pace for a bit when it crosses my mind she might think I'm sitting behind on purpose, so I pick up the pace a little to pass as dont want to spoil her Sunday morning ride out. Now as I've passed her it now looks like I've over taken because I'm a bloke and have to show how fast I am...
What would other people do in this situation and what are the women riders views on having people riding behind them?



You sir need to MTFU. :D

What on earth is happening to the Aplha male these days ??????????
Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.

HiDidleyHi
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 09:19 am

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby HiDidleyHi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 15:34 pm

So what was wrong with riding alongside for a while, see where she is going, if she would appreciate a tow. You never know, she may have been an ideal riding companion. It is possible for boys to talk to girls without trying to shag them.

User avatar
team47b
Posts: 5295
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 18:39 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby team47b » Mon Dec 31, 2012 16:04 pm

HiDidleyHi wrote: It is possible for boys to talk to girls without trying to shag them.


Are you sure you're on the right forum? :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

User avatar
nunowoolmez
Posts: 1368
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 15:36 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby nunowoolmez » Mon Dec 31, 2012 16:29 pm

:roll:

Yossie
Posts: 2589
Joined: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:23 am

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby Yossie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 17:49 pm

To open up the discussion a bit more, was she wearing team kit? In which case had she earned the right to? What if she was wearing a T de F yellow/spotted/green jersey? What then?

Any opinions Cake Stoppers?
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

miller153
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 22:25 pm

Re: Cycling etiquette

Postby miller153 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 18:05 pm

No team kit, but proper road attire. Looked very fine indeed and could have quite happily have sat behind for ages but would she of appreciated me sat behind, probably not so was after a little discussion as to what people might do or have done in same situation...


Return to “The Cake Stop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests