Failed going up Edge Hill

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
jagx400

Failed going up Edge Hill

Postby jagx400 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:38 pm

Well had my first attempt up Edge Hill today and failed. Rode out there in a headwind, ive also got a head cold, but these aint excuses as I wanted to try riding up it and felt I might be able to do it regardless.

I managed halfway then stopped and walked a few yards, got back on then stopped after a few more yards. Then thought sod it and went for it and got up the last quarter. I started cycling in March and have gone from 18 st 6lb to 14 st 12lb. I can easily cycle 100 miles and have never got off on difficult hills, but this one beat me.
2 others with me made it up but have been cycling a lot longer than me. They said I hadn't failed as I had a go at it. Why do I feel so disappointed in myself.

By the way not looking for a pat on the back, if any one knows the hill what was your first time like

Monty Dog

Re: Failed going up Edge Hill

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:50 pm

sometimes you have an off day ; put it down to experience get over your cold and next time you'll be fitter and stronger.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

proto

Postby proto » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:53 pm

I guarantee that if you did it again tomorrow, you'd get up without stopping. Climbing nasty hills is as much in your head as in your legs. You'd mentally quit before you started, but now you know you can get up, you'll find it do-able next time.

PS I know the hill, Oxon/Warks border. It is a shocker, watched a women's road race there earlier this year, think they went up it four times?

jagx400

Postby jagx400 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:58 pm

proto wrote:I guarantee that if you did it again tomorrow, you'd get up without stopping. Climbing nasty hills is as much in your head as in your legs. You'd mentally quit before you started, but now you know you can get up, you'll find it do-able next time.

PS I know the hill, Oxon/Warks border. It is a shocker, watched a women's road race there earlier this year, think they went up it four times?

4 Times, they must be superhuman

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Dec 30, 2012 15:59 pm

Did Edge Hill many times, always from Kineton, which is the steepest side. Fantastictarmac which invites to fly down and do it again. I like the climb a lot... It is testing... Simon Warren gives it a 1/10 which is very harsh, considering similar hills get 7 or even 8/10.
I would say 6/10 is a fair assessment... Very similar to the many climbs in the Chilterns.. Kingston hill, Kop Hill etc...

proto

Postby proto » Sun Dec 30, 2012 16:35 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:Did Edge Hill many times, always from Kineton, which is the steepest side. Fantastictarmac which invites to fly down and do it again. I like the climb a lot... It is testing... Simon Warren gives it a 1/10 which is very harsh, considering similar hills get 7 or even 8/10.
I would say 6/10 is a fair assessment... Very similar to the many climbs in the Chilterns.. Kingston hill, Kop Hill etc...

Arghhhhh !!!!!!!! Kingston Hill, trying to blank it from my mind. We do that every Wednesday night on our chain gang route. It's horrible. Never been up Kop Hill, but the adjacent Whiteleaf is a bit of a b*astard

MountainMonster

Postby MountainMonster » Sun Dec 30, 2012 16:39 pm

I wish we had climbs like that here, I miss the challenges. Cambridge is just too flat

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Dec 30, 2012 21:03 pm

When I lived in Warwick and before the M40 was built I'd head out through Bishops Itchington, over the top of Fenny Compton and then across to Edge Hill. If we were feeling good, we'd go over Chipping Camden and Fish Hill - about as hilly as you could get in those parts.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

exlaser

Postby exlaser » Sun Dec 30, 2012 21:28 pm

Monty Dog wrote:When I lived in Warwick and before the M40 was built I'd head out through Bishops Itchington, over the top of Fenny Compton and then across to Edge Hill. If we were feeling good, we'd go over Chipping Camden and Fish Hill - about as hilly as you could get in those parts.

great route, know it well !!!!
Van Nicholas Ventus
Giant OCR 0

SkyBlueAmateur

Postby SkyBlueAmateur » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:07 am

Being from Coventry this is easily the hardest climb around these parts. I'm sure you'll get up there next time 8)

johnny25

Postby johnny25 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:49 pm

Must give it a go in the New Year. Only live 10 or so miles away and have never cycled to Kinton/Edge Hill. Tend to cycle the quieter roads between Warwick, Stratford and Alcester. It sounds tough. I like them tough.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:50 pm

proto wrote:
ugo.santalucia wrote:Did Edge Hill many times, always from Kineton, which is the steepest side. Fantastictarmac which invites to fly down and do it again. I like the climb a lot... It is testing... Simon Warren gives it a 1/10 which is very harsh, considering similar hills get 7 or even 8/10.

Arghhhhh !!!!!!!! Kingston Hill, trying to blank it from my mind. We do that every Wednesday night on our chain gang route. It's horrible. Never been up Kop Hill, but the adjacent Whiteleaf is a bit of a b*astard

Due to the conditions of the Tarmac, it is always better to go up Whiteleaf and down Kop hill, where on a good day you can clock 50 mph... Whiteleaf is too rough and twisty to be a fast descent

Bustacapp

Postby Bustacapp » Mon Dec 31, 2012 13:41 pm

jagx400 wrote:Well had my first attempt up Edge Hill today and failed. Rode out there in a headwind, ive also got a head cold, but these aint excuses as I wanted to try riding up it and felt I might be able to do it regardless.

I managed halfway then stopped and walked a few yards, got back on then stopped after a few more yards. Then thought sod it and went for it and got up the last quarter. I started cycling in March and have gone from 18 st 6lb to 14 st 12lb. I can easily cycle 100 miles and have never got off on difficult hills, but this one beat me.
2 others with me made it up but have been cycling a lot longer than me. They said I hadn't failed as I had a go at it. Why do I feel so disappointed in myself.

By the way not looking for a pat on the back, if any one knows the hill what was your first time like

Probably the headwind was the straw that broke the camels back. I know on my horror climb having a tailwind help enormously so the opposite must be true with a headwind.

Kneesaway

Postby Kneesaway » Mon Dec 31, 2012 15:15 pm

This hill used to beat me a few years ago. I think it is the left bend about half way up. I always thought I was getting near the finish, turned the corner, saw the hill looming for another eternity and gave up. I'm a better climber now so will often incorporate it into a loop with Burton Dassett and Priors Marston. Getting up onto the Edge via Tysoe hill is a bit easier but I think up Sun Rising is tougher, mainly due to the rubbish road surface.

Border Cyclist

Postby Border Cyclist » Mon Dec 31, 2012 16:11 pm

Hi - at least you were out cycling...

For a hillier day (when it is warmer and more pleasant), Burton Dassett and Edge Hill is a good combination. For a nasty climb, the climb out of Ilmington takes some beating - and I can say I have ridden to the Cotswolds and back :)

jagx400

Postby jagx400 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 16:36 pm

Gonna give it another go in a few weeks time, I aint gonna let it beat me. Signed up for the Cheshire cat sportive, the one with the mow cop climb, so got to conquer Edge so as to give me some confidence for the Killer Mile.

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Mon Dec 31, 2012 16:48 pm

jagx400 wrote:Gonna give it another go in a few weeks time, I aint gonna let it beat me. Signed up for the Cheshire cat sportive, the one with the mow cop climb, so got to conquer Edge so as to give me some confidence for the Killer Mile.

Yep, Mow Cop is a lot harder... Simon Warren gives it a rather generous 9/10, which is the same he gave to Porlock... completely different beasts in my view, but hey oh...

Lycra Man

Postby Lycra Man » Wed Jan 02, 2013 22:42 pm

I had been wanting to do this climb for a while, and planned a 200k DIY Audax route with it at half way, last December 30th . Managed it, although it was tough.
Lycra Man
FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6

rich164h

Postby rich164h » Thu Jan 03, 2013 09:44 am

Kneesaway wrote:Getting up onto the Edge via Tysoe hill is a bit easier but I think up Sun Rising is tougher, mainly due to the rubbish road surface.

Edge Hill is pretty tough but I'd also say that Sun Rising (only a few miles south of Edge Hill) is harder. It certainly feels steeper, although not quite so long.

To the OP, if you can comfortably do 100 miles and have tackled difficult hills int he past (as your post says) then I'd just put it down to having a bad day.

paul_mck

Postby paul_mck » Thu Jan 03, 2013 09:47 am

got a garmin log for the hill? curious to see what its like now :)

we were doing hills on a sportive last sept were hitting 25% on the garmin, had to stop many times to get breath back was torture. Didnt walk though!

Return to “Road General”