TCX3 FSA BB with HT II Tiagra crank??

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Bengdogg

TCX3 FSA BB with HT II Tiagra crank??

Postby Bengdogg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 17:33 pm

Hi,

I have a giant TCX 3 http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... ifications 2011 model. This bike is mainly used for my training.winter bike and I want to put 10 speed tiagra on it. I was just wondering about the BB working with shimano or will I have to get a new BB fitted or maybe some kind of spacers?? The current crankset is two piece very similar to an ultegra crankset in the way it fits.

Also With regards to the fork I am toying with upgrading that for a carbon jobbie like this for example. http://www.probikekit.com/uk/bikes-fram ... -fork.html Will this fit the bike (pretty sure it will) I know I need a fork bung but I am not sure about what crown race to get as I think you have to get one that fits the headset.

Thanks

Monty Dog

Re: TCX3 FSA BB with HT II Tiagra crank??

Postby Monty Dog » Tue Jan 01, 2013 21:46 pm

You'll need a new BB to fit a Tiagra (any Shimano) chainset because your bike is fitted with the b*astard-size 19mm crank spindle unique to FSA - like we needed another size of bottom bracket!
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Bengdogg

Postby Bengdogg » Tue Jan 01, 2013 22:33 pm

Ah ok. I thought it may be an issue. Job for the lbs then.

Thanks

Bengdogg

Postby Bengdogg » Wed Jan 02, 2013 14:32 pm

Had the crank off today when I stripped the bike down. Totally correct that it was a 19mm spindle. The frame is now in the lbs having a shimano compatible BB86? press fit installed. I have to say I am not a fan of these press fit bb's but it seems to be the way every major make is going. Makes home servicing a bit beyond my capabilities. Hopefully the bike will be back in my possession on Friday or Saturday and then I am looking forward to fitting the new group to it.

I have had the fork off and I think it is some kind of tapered steerer although it is not a smooth taper it is fatter at the bottom than the top of the fork. I think I will leave swapping that for now as I don't really know a lot about it.

Return to “Workshop”