New bike quandary

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
Weeman1973

New bike quandary

Postby Weeman1973 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 14:48 pm

I am wanting to get a new bike and have narrowed it down to 3 that suit my budget / needs but can't decide between them:

Ridley Orion 1105B
Focus Izalco Ergoride 4.0
Specialized Roubaix Sport

I will be using it for social / sportive rides, with no intention of racing so ideally would like something that is comfortable for several hours at a time.

The Ridley is currently looking favourable as Wiggle have it at £932 currently, which seems great value considering it's kitted out with 105 & full carbon frame, but I am unsure of the geometry as Ridley say it is the same as their Pro series which would seam to be to be quite aggressive? The Focus also looks good value (£1400 at Wiggle although this is a Triple rather than Compact but don't think that would bother me) as it has the Ultegra groupset. My least favourite of the 3 is the Spesh as I believe it has several Tiagra components which makes me feel it's not such good value as the others (I can find it for £1500 cheapest), however perhaps the frame is more suited to what I am looking for?

Anybody have any personal experiences with any of the above and can guide me? I know it is all subjective but any thoughts would be most welcome.

passout

Re: New bike quandary

Postby passout » Wed Jan 02, 2013 17:09 pm

Ridley looks great value & would be my choice from the little I know about these bikes - I can't offer much more i'm afraid.
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

Weeman1973

Re: New bike quandary

Postby Weeman1973 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:03 am

I decided to go for the Ridley as it seemed such great value in the end. Ordered it via Wiggle but there was a glitch on their site and it wouldn't complete payment last night. Anyway, got it sorted out with their customer services this morning who cancelled the order and appologized saying it was their fault and asked me to re-order. When I did, I noticed the discount had risen to 50% today, so now only £850 instead of the £932 I was happy to pay yesterday - result! Only concern is now if the discount it again even further!!!!

Return to “Road Buying Advice”