Upgrading my bike parts

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
Jamesgti

Upgrading my bike parts

Postby Jamesgti » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:38 am

I've got myself a muddy fox road bike which I use to and from work plus on weekend for bike rides.

I'm looking into upgrading parts on it to make it lighter and quicker, I know most of its down to the rider but their must be some parts I can change to make it lighter and better for me.

Any help and useful links for parts would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Yossie

Re: Upgrading my bike parts

Postby Yossie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Do a quick search on here - common query, however the more helpful answer is:

Start at the wheels - lighter wheels will save lots of weight, roll better, handle better and, essentially, look cooler too. Remember - rotational weight is worth twice as much as fixed weight. Throw on some lighter tyres as well while you are there - inner tubes make barely any difference, so I'd save the wedge. If you buy black wheels then it is scientifically proven that they add 2 emmm peeee aitch to the top end - silver take away 4.

Pedals are also a cheap way of saving shed load s of weight, then cranks (absolute bargains to be had at the mo' at Planet X and CRC in FSA carbon cranks).

Then have a look a the bike as a whole: although people mock them, carbon seat posts, stems and bars are a) cheap at the mo' and b)save a load of weight as well. Again, deals everywhere.

Dependant on how much you like the bike and are willing to spend (ie what deals can you find), if you can get some carbon forks with a carbon steerer then that will save a load a load of wedge as well.

Last thing is the gruppo - minimal gains weight wise for maximum expenditure - lets not get into performance/feel/etc here.

HTH
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 14:50 pm

I fear the cost of doing the above will vastly outway the frame and forks worthiness.

May as well admit defeat and N+1 for a nicer bike in a year or two and keep the MF as it is for winter.

Besides a heavy bike makes you work more and therefore improves your strength and fitness...Its' a win/win :-)
Yellow is the new Black.

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 16:09 pm

But not if its currently a pile of junk and he hates ridding it .............. If he likes it and wants to upgrade it then go with what you can afford/not afford but really need. And by need I mean want.

One man's meat etc etc etc ad infinitum.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

Mystique

Postby Mystique » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again - the best "bang for your buck" upgrade is tyres. Spend a few quid on Michelin ProRace, Conti GP4000 or Schwalbe Ultremo's and you'll see a clear difference.

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:18 pm

Ultremos will save you more weight than the others becuase they fall apart after a day of ridding on them - shonky pieces o' junk.

Pro Race 4s or whatever number they are up to now are a good bet. Available in deals as well.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 04, 2013 14:08 pm

Yossie wrote:Ultremos will save you more weight than the others becuase they fall apart after a day of ridding on them - shonky pieces o' junk.

And many people say otherwise. :wink:
Faster than a tent.......

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 14:11 pm

nah ..... :)

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 14:46 pm

Yossie wrote:nah ..... they're shyyyyyyyyyt :)

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:20 pm

They've been fine for me. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one (if only because Schwalbe would have probably given me a medal (or at least a spare Ultremo) if I had been!).
Faster than a tent.......

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 15:46 pm

Naah - they're shyyyyyyt.

Mine fell apart apart in <100 miles (though that could have been down to the sheer power my legs are putting out) and there was a whole history of them falling apart all over the 'net (keyboards warriors and all that) but unfortunately they are junk.

The way that CRC swapped them without quibble for some Michelins made me think that I wasn't the only person with a problem with them as well.

Sorry ........

Jamesgti

Postby Jamesgti » Fri Jan 04, 2013 21:03 pm

Thank you for all your advice.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Fri Jan 04, 2013 21:38 pm

Putting race-rubber on a Muddy Fox road bike isn't really gonna turn it into a thoroughbred though? I'm not sure that beyond regular maintenance it's worth the effort - better saving the money to spend on a better bike. You could fit a DuraAce groupset but it would still ride and handle like a £200 bike.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

Return to “Workshop”