Rear facing helmet lights

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
ga02clr

Rear facing helmet lights

Postby ga02clr » Fri Jan 04, 2013 09:29 am

I and a colleague are both looking at getting a rear helmet light. My bike has plenty of lights on but a helmet light would just finish off the Christmas tree effect.

What do people use and rate?

Price wise my colleague is at the cheaper end of the market I will consider just about anything within reason.

Thanks

BigLights

Re: Rear facing helmet lights

Postby BigLights » Fri Jan 04, 2013 09:55 am

There was another thread on this in December, somewhere.

I've got an Exposure Joystick on a helmet mount, with the Redeye attachment at the back. it's blindingly bright (i've got another redeye under the seat, too). I frequently get comments from cabbies and motorbike couriers along the lines of 'cor blimey mate you can't miss you!' which is gratifying.

I do think a very bright helmet light is very effective....can be seen over cars, and over the lip of a hill, giving just that extra bit of visibility.

TommyEss

Postby TommyEss » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 am

Came across this the other day... I think it's currently out of stock, but at £15 you can't go far wrong.

Was given a good review in this article.
Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...

redvee

Postby redvee » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:38 am

I've got a FibreFlare across the back of my helmet as the light emitted is visible in a bigger arc when viewed from behind, when you're riding you don't ride with your head flat all the time. Held in place with cableties and recently realised I can change the batteries, AAA, without removing the light from my helmet.

http://www.fibreflare.com/products/fibreflare-full-tai/

bromyG

Postby bromyG » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 pm

I've recently purchased one of these Topeak helment lights to complete the 'Christmas tree' effect:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/top ... t-ec033840

Though small in size it is very bright and has several settings eg: flashing, not flashing etc.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Brompton S6L

unixnerd

Postby unixnerd » Sat Jan 05, 2013 13:49 pm

I've got a Cateye that comes with a built in cord so you can tie it to the helmet, compact and light. Ideal second light.
http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!

Scrappaman

Postby Scrappaman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:01 pm

I tried one of the Topeak lights above that have both front and rear lights (£15ish), but found that it didn't hold up to the commute. It has good side visibility and the flashing modes catch people's attention, but it went through batteries quite quickly and every time I got caught in the rain it would fog up or stop working.

I've now got an older Bontrager Ember or Glo (can't remember which) light on the back and that's pretty bright, if slightly more directional. On the front of the helmet I have a Moon Mask 5 and that does a good job.

I think Blackburn do some pretty good rear lights that go with the flea set and are rechargeable and helmet mountable?

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:45 pm

I don't think the Light & Motion Vis360 I have quite fits your bill as it's both front & rear (and side) but it is excellent. Maybe the Vis 180 would do the trick.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

shouldbeinbed

Postby shouldbeinbed » Mon Jan 07, 2013 22:31 pm

I've had a few up there, smart 1/2 watt, little topeak things, Tesco cheapies. I've got Lezyne Femto ones now, compact & unobtrusive, easy to attach with a cable tie and bright without being blinding.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Tue Jan 08, 2013 07:06 am

shouldbeinbed wrote:I've had a few up there, smart 1/2 watt, little topeak things, Tesco cheapies. I've got Lezyne Femto ones now, compact & unobtrusive, easy to attach with a cable tie and bright without being blinding.

Femto lights are nice (I have a pair) but side visibility isn't great
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

twoshots

Postby twoshots » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:10 pm

I use a little Knog Frog red LED upside down on the back of my helmet. It's not overly bright but bright enough. I had a large collection of CR2032 batteries. The Femto lights by Lezyne are nice too (and use CR2032) so I have one these as well.

t4tomo

Postby t4tomo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:21 pm

BigLights wrote:There was another thread on this in December, somewhere.

I've got an Exposure Joystick on a helmet mount, with the Redeye attachment at the back. it's blindingly bright (i've got another redeye under the seat, too). I frequently get comments from cabbies and motorbike couriers along the lines of 'cor blimey mate you can't miss you!' which is gratifying.

I do think a very bright helmet light is very effective....can be seen over cars, and over the lip of a hill, giving just that extra bit of visibility.

thats fine if you are on open unlit roads, if you are in Town then not too bright and flashing is best.

Far too many people in London blinding following cyclists (and motorists) with stupidly bright lights
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Return to “Commuting General”