Freehub mystery?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
on-yer-bike

Freehub mystery?

Postby on-yer-bike » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Why on my Campag Bora cant I turn the axle both ways without engaging the freehub? Put it another way; I cant spin the wheel holding it by the axle without the freehub engaging. Normally you have to hold the freehub with your thumb to engage it.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

RPD Steve

Re: Freehub mystery?

Postby RPD Steve » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 pm

Sounds like you either have some very gunky grease in there or a collapsed bearing on the way. Either of those things will provide significant resistance from the static axle to the free-hub and will cause it to engage.

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 13:47 pm

Why do you want to do this?

keef66

Postby keef66 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 13:55 pm

When my rear wheel is held in the dropouts I can only spin it one way without the cassette rotating too. I'd expect the same if I was holding the axle with the wheel out of the bike. Surely the freehub should engage when it's going in one direction?

Or have I misunderstood the question?

on-yer-bike

Postby on-yer-bike » Fri Jan 04, 2013 16:52 pm

You should be able to turn the axle forward with no resistance.
You should be able to spin the the wheel forwards on the axle and the free hub should rotate as well until load is put on it.
Put the wheel on the bike and rotated the pedals and it freed up.
Just took it apart and there was no gunky grease but I think the outer bearing in the freehub had seized. It seems to have unseized itself though and now feels reasonably smooth but not perfect. The wheels had been in hibernation.
The strange thing is is that it feels less smooth after the cassette has been installed. Does the cassette lock ring load the bearin at all?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Campagnolo

Return to “Workshop”