Does Diet Help?

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
CleeRider

Does Diet Help?

Postby CleeRider » Sun Jan 06, 2013 15:42 pm

I'm not overweight in the slightest or eat lots of fried food etc. But love my chocolate, biscuits and alcohol.
I keep the weight off by cycling 60 miles a week and not overeating at mealtimes.
If I ate more fruit instead of chocolate and biscuits, would I go faster on the bike? Or would I just be punishing myself for no reason? :)

TheFD

Re: Does Diet Help?

Postby TheFD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 15:45 pm

Less weight and more power means you will be faster. Particularly on hills! You can figure out the rest.
2013 - R872
2010 - Spesh Tarmac

CleeRider

Postby CleeRider » Sun Jan 06, 2013 15:54 pm

I don't think I would want to weigh any less though.

Frank the tank

Postby Frank the tank » Sun Jan 06, 2013 16:40 pm

CleeRider wrote:I don't think I would want to weigh any less though.

You have to work on your fitness then, how you do that I'm not qualified to say,
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

TakeTurns

Postby TakeTurns » Sun Jan 06, 2013 18:12 pm

You're better off just riding more if you want to see improvements. Instead of "suffering", just balance your diet. Eat an apple instead of a biscuit now and then.

Simon Masterson

Postby Simon Masterson » Sun Jan 06, 2013 18:17 pm

The simplest answer to the question is 'Yes'. Eat a balanced diet with plenty of quality carbs and you should feel better and more energised on your rides, and maintain a lower weight, than if you predominantly eat junk.

It won't really make you faster; that you will go faster the more favourable your power:weight ratio is simple physics, but your fitness and power will have a far, far greater effect than your weight, and it only really matters when climbing really steep hills. Starving yourself won't make you a better cyclist, will it? Your hill climbing speeds will increase as your fitness and power do, but if you train really hard you will find it even harder if your diet isn't right, and if your diet is right you should lose weight anyway. If we took three test subjects of identical height but different weights and fitness - one 9st and healthy but not very fit, one 15st, unhealthy and not at all fit, and another 10.5st and an avid cyclist who trains very hard - which would climb the same hill fastest on identical bikes? I can't say for sure, but I have a hunch... And even then, Coppi and Gaul climbed Alpe d'Huez with effortless grace on probably circa 10kg bikes, which makes the fretting of today's weight weenies rather comical. On the flat, given that aerodynamics account for the vast majority of your effort your fat belly won't slow you down because of its weight. :lol:

But for all that, proper nutrition is a pretty new idea in cycling and sport in general. Our forefathers thought that feasting on steaks and joints of meat was the way forward, would drink [alcohol] and reportedly raid bars during major stage races, were constantly tanked up on amphetamines and other drugs, and were subject to a water limit, so sod the science. :lol:

lotus49

Postby lotus49 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 18:59 pm

Simon Masterson wrote:But for all that, proper nutrition is a pretty new idea in cycling and sport in general. Our forefathers thought that feasting on steaks and joints of meat was the way forward, would drink [alcohol] and reportedly raid bars during major stage races, were constantly tanked up on amphetamines and other drugs, and were subject to a water limit, so sod the science. :lol:

I watched a film about Eddy Merckx (PBUH) recently and there was a domestique handing out glass bottles of beer. The winner in the TdF still often drinks champagne on the Champs-Élysées - I can't think of any other sport where top level athletes drink during the actual event :D .

Scotty-Gee

Postby Scotty-Gee » Sun Jan 06, 2013 19:59 pm

lotus49 wrote: I can't think of any other sport where top level athletes drink during the actual event :D .

Darts?

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Sun Jan 06, 2013 20:06 pm

Whilst you may not want to lose weight, most people have around 20% body fat whereas trained athletes have 10% and less and considerable more muscle - replace the body fat with muscles and you'll be able to generate more power.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

ugo.santalucia

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sun Jan 06, 2013 20:12 pm

lotus49 wrote:
Simon Masterson wrote:But for all that, proper nutrition is a pretty new idea in cycling and sport in general. Our forefathers thought that feasting on steaks and joints of meat was the way forward, would drink [alcohol] and reportedly raid bars during major stage races, were constantly tanked up on amphetamines and other drugs, and were subject to a water limit, so sod the science. :lol:

I watched a film about Eddy Merckx (PBUH) recently and there was a domestique handing out glass bottles of beer. The winner in the TdF still often drinks champagne on the Champs-Élysées - I can't think of any other sport where top level athletes drink during the actual event :D .

That is because in most events he winner is decided at the end, while the last stage of the tour de France is a farce, at least for the General Classification. I actually advocate for a tough mountain stage or a time trial to end the event, rather than this ludicrous looping around the streets of Paris

Camus

Postby Camus » Sun Jan 06, 2013 20:38 pm

ugo.santalucia wrote:
lotus49 wrote:

That is because in most events he winner is decided at the end, while the last stage of the tour de France is a farce, at least for the General Classification. I actually advocate for a tough mountain stage or a time trial to end the event, rather than this ludicrous looping around the streets of Paris

Do time honoured tradition and ritual count for nothing!?

As far as diet goes, I believe you will lose more weight by having a healthy balanced diet and doing little excercise than you will keeping up with a bad diet and doing lots of exercise. That's not to say you'll develop any new muscle and drop any fat. You also wouldn't improve any in the sport in which you want to develop your abilities. So for me diet is the starting point whenever I'm looking to improve my fitness.

Exercise, whether it's cycling or gym time falls in after and compliments that. Ideally it's a balance of both a healthy diet and eating sensibly, going to one extreme of dieting or the other of trying to be super-human in your training, isn't sensible.

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:51 pm

Cycling aside, if you eat a more balanced diet then it is very likely you will feel better and live longer.

Will it make you faster, without weight loss, probably not but it may make you more inclined to go out more often as a result of feeling better and motivated.

Then again there is always someone who performs well on fry ups, beer and tabs. I know it's not me though.

Careca

Postby Careca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:48 pm

British people, on the whole, eat an absolutely awful diet. Sweeping statement I know, but we eat a lot of processed crap, and convenience ready meals! It's a shame we don't have more respect and time for food.

Camus

Postby Camus » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:07 pm

Careca wrote:British people, on the whole, eat an absolutely awful diet. Sweeping statement I know, but we eat a lot of processed crap, and convenience ready meals! It's a shame we don't have more respect and time for food.

Yes, it's a cultural thing, if you compare the UK with continental Europe we don't seem to appreciate eating/living well or even consider that as a factor in our daily lives. I think it's improving though, very slowly. The comedian Simon Amstell does a joke about how we have to label 'normal/natural' food as 'organic' now, as if it's this alien, special and rare thing because we're so used to ready meals and processed crap.

It's in line with our terrible approach/attitude to evenings' out. I was in Valencia recently and a typical night for the locals was some nice tapas/pinxtos, a glass or two of wine / beer, have a stroll and conversation, sit in the square, get coffee etc. None of the binge drinking and yobbish behaviour we get in cities over here that often make them unpleasant at night. You could walk around until the small hours, feel perfectly safe and never see any trouble and most of all not one guy relieving himself down a side street!

I'm convinced the climate doesn't help us here, the wet weather and grey gets depressing and forces people to congregate indoors or makes them inclined to reach for junk food for comfort, or go out on a bender.

Careca

Postby Careca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:37 pm

But when we do have warm weather it's usually the green light for all day drinking, followed by severe sunburn. Or perhaps that is just Plymouth :)

wod1

Postby wod1 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:46 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20898379

Fish and vegetables the way forward!

Careca

Postby Careca » Mon Jan 07, 2013 15:56 pm

Just home from holiday and it always upsets me when I get back to our supermarkets and see the complete lack of fresh fish and seafood. We have so much of it in the seas around us and just don't value it.

Pross

Postby Pross » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:12 pm

Camus wrote:
Careca wrote:British people, on the whole, eat an absolutely awful diet. Sweeping statement I know, but we eat a lot of processed crap, and convenience ready meals! It's a shame we don't have more respect and time for food.

Yes, it's a cultural thing, if you compare the UK with continental Europe we don't seem to appreciate eating/living well or even consider that as a factor in our daily lives. I think it's improving though, very slowly. The comedian Simon Amstell does a joke about how we have to label 'normal/natural' food as 'organic' now, as if it's this alien, special and rare thing because we're so used to ready meals and processed crap.

Whilst I appreciate the sentiment (and I'm pretty bad with what I eat :oops: ) that doesn't really follow as a non-organic carrot is still 100% natural in itself, it is the growing process that determines if it is organic or not.

Froomes Edgar

Postby Froomes Edgar » Mon Jan 07, 2013 20:05 pm

Scotty-Gee wrote:
lotus49 wrote: I can't think of any other sport where top level athletes drink during the actual event :D .

Darts?

Banned since 1989. Worked too, nowadays darts players are the very apex of human athleticism.

SmoggySteve

Postby SmoggySteve » Mon Jan 07, 2013 20:12 pm

Depends not so much what you eat but when you eat it. Complex carbs like brown rice, Brown bread, Pasta before exercise. Protein and simple carbs - not sugars after exercise.

You need energy before you exercise in the shape of the carbs and protein for muscle repair after exercise.

Return to “Road General”