winter bike advice

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
allen

winter bike advice

Postby allen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 17:08 pm

Hi all the decision making question i have is do I a. buy a kinesis frame/ and swop components and wheels over from my scott s40, or buy a complete bike like a Trek 1.2 ish, or dont even bother and just ride my Scott with its race blade . If i went for the new option i would sell the scott - thinking £200 maybe? Any thoughts anyone ?

Flasher

Re: winter bike advice

Postby Flasher » Sun Jan 06, 2013 17:13 pm

Buy the Kinesis frame, I wouldn't be without a dedicated winter bike, luxury I know, but it's a great not getting covered in crap!

allen

Postby allen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 17:26 pm

So you would t go for the new complete bike option ? I do already have a summer bike so this is purely about bad weather riding...oh and i am a weekend rider so its not a commuting decsiion either

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Sun Jan 06, 2013 19:03 pm

It comes down to cost. Personally I would just put the raceblades on your best bike. If your only using it weekends - the wear on components will be nominal. If shelling out up to £600 on a second bike isn't an issue - then maybe - but bikes aren't made of glass - I always like to ride my nicest bike as much as poss. Commuting I like another bike - ready to go with lights, guards, etc.

allen

Postby allen » Sun Jan 06, 2013 19:48 pm

I am ok with spending £600 as I don't really want to ride my best bike and have it covered in grime and to hear the grinding as I break on the rims. Also I am not comfortable with putting race blades onto it. I know it doesn't bother some people but as it cost a lot of money I like to look after it. So votes for swooping components and votes for all new winter specific machine ...

ADIHEAD

Postby ADIHEAD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 21:55 pm

I've got a Kinesis TK/SKS mudguards and it's great for the winter. I did a similar thing to you and swapped the bits over from an previous second bike. The cheap option is to raceblade the S40, if you're happy spending the cash, as I was when I bought it in 2008 then go for it. I will say that after 4 years of regular poor weather use through out the whole year, it cleans up like new. The frame is of real quality and I believe the TK3 is even better!

thecycleclinic

Postby thecycleclinic » Sun Jan 06, 2013 23:25 pm

Tifosi do the CK7 which may or may not be an option that comes a a frame only if you have all the components as well. I am sure the Kenisis will make a fine bike as well.

It's either a new frame or why not find an old steel frame that take proper mudguards. You can pick up old 531 framed bikes for £100. Ditch all the shoddy worn out bits and use your good parts to make something that is cheap and reliable. 7/8 speed is the way to go for winter and so is friction shifting.

I have a nice winter bike which is really a wet weather spring/summer autumn bike. For a proper winter bike I have just acquired an old Spectrum R531 frame and forks which with is actually a complete bike. All it need is new pads ,mudguards and new tyres. £150 of winter loveliness.

Retrobike can be a source of old steel frames/bikes as is ebay.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Stueys

Postby Stueys » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 pm

kingrollo wrote:It comes down to cost. Personally I would just put the raceblades on your best bike. If your only using it weekends - the wear on components will be nominal. If shelling out up to £600 on a second bike isn't an issue - then maybe - but bikes aren't made of glass - I always like to ride my nicest bike as much as poss. Commuting I like another bike - ready to go with lights, guards, etc.

I think it depends where you ride. The country roads round my neck of the woods are covered in grime and crap at the moment, my old Spesh with cruds on is really getting a hammering. Personally I wouldn't ride my best bike even with blades/cruds in the conditions we currently have. The hammering that wheels and components take would be expensive and somewhat soul destroying.

allen

Postby allen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Thats my point exactly i like to ride away from main roads and some of the back roads are covered with a fine layer of sand, mixed up grit, cow muck and generous helping of water !

Wobblehead

Postby Wobblehead » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:57 pm

With the last 2 posters here, got 2 carbon bikes, one for early / late season and one very nice summer bike. Ride a cyclocross with 28mm tyres and full guards at present, ploughs through all the sh1te the roads round here can throw at it.

Also, easy to maintain, just keep chain clean and bike free from salt, if I took one of the others out it would mean a full clean down after each ride (they live in the spare room......)

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:20 pm

Stueys wrote:
kingrollo wrote:It comes down to cost. Personally I would just put the raceblades on your best bike. If your only using it weekends - the wear on components will be nominal. If shelling out up to £600 on a second bike isn't an issue - then maybe - but bikes aren't made of glass - I always like to ride my nicest bike as much as poss. Commuting I like another bike - ready to go with lights, guards, etc.

I think it depends where you ride. The country roads round my neck of the woods are covered in grime and crap at the moment, my old Spesh with cruds on is really getting a hammering. Personally I wouldn't ride my best bike even with blades/cruds in the conditions we currently have. The hammering that wheels and components take would be expensive and somewhat soul destroying.

What exactly do you think will happen to your best bike in these conditions ?

dwanes

Postby dwanes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:45 pm

Kingrollo, im with you on this issue, i just dont understand this wet weather / winter bike thing that most people get into. Bikes are pretty tough things and will take many winters before any signs of corrosion if maintained and cleaned.
I just happened to ask the same question elsewhere.

giropaul

Postby giropaul » Tue Jan 08, 2013 20:14 pm

kingrollo wrote:
Stueys wrote:

Exactly what happens to my winter bikes (despite washing and thorough cleaning) - the chains get gritty and wear, the cassette gets dull and blotchy, the gear rollers get grotty and wear, rims get worn, alloy gets blotchy with the salt etc etc.

The difference is that I'm not having to replace good new Record bits from winter wear and damage, but either used parts or less expensive bits that are on the winter bikes.

Stueys

Postby Stueys » Tue Jan 08, 2013 20:33 pm

giropaul wrote:
kingrollo wrote:
Stueys wrote:

Exactly what happens to my winter bikes (despite washing and thorough cleaning) - the chains get gritty and wear, the cassette gets dull and blotchy, the gear rollers get grotty and wear, rims get worn, alloy gets blotchy with the salt etc etc.

The difference is that I'm not having to replace good new Record bits from winter wear and damage, but either used parts or less expensive bits that are on the winter bikes.

Exactly, my summer bike has dura ace all over it. My winter bike has Tiagra. Apart from various dings on the frame from all the stones currently in the roads washed down from the heavy rain I'm getting general heavy wear and tear to chain, cassette and crank. I suspect the bottom bracket will need a strip down end of season as well as I was fording flooded roads over Christmas. My wheels have also taken an absolute hammering where the brakes have picked up grit and crap.

As I said it all depends where you ride. I ride in the back roads through the chilterns, there is a large amount of crap on those roads due to the heavy weather. I could avoid that and stick to roads with higher car traffic and hence cleaner but then I'd miss all my preferred routes. So it makes sense for me to run something cheaper and avoid the increased wear and tear on shimano's finest; which also mitigates the expensive consequences of an off which is much more likely on cold, damp, leaf strewn muddy roads. YMMV.

kingrollo

Postby kingrollo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:02 pm

All depends on your viewpoint.

To me having a £2k bike- that's in storage half the year - is in a way as 'expensive' as replacing the parts that get worn out. I am pretty sure Mrs Rollo would have a word if she spotted me out on a £400 quid job - whilst the best bike lays idle in the garage.

passout

Postby passout » Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:26 am

I think having a winter bike can be a false economy unless you summer bike is expensive and your winter bike is much cheaper to buy, run & replace bits for i.e. that should be leagues apart. It also very much depends how many miles you do in winter & how long you tend to keep your bikes for.

The main difference used to be that one took guards and the other didn't - but Crud products have effectively offered the opportunity to run your good bike all year (although protection may not be quite as good).

All of this assumes you don't want two bikes with different purposes eg race and sportive, which is another way to justify 2 road bikes.

I ride a carbon summer bike & much cheaper alu winter bike in all honesty I'd be fine with just the summer bike.....I'm ignoring my commuter and MTB here!!
'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.

SheffSimon

Postby SheffSimon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 am

For me, I like a winter/commuting bike so I don't need to clean it every time I go out on it, in fact it probably gets washed twice a year. I keep the chain lubed, and sling the whole cassette and chain away each spring. Replace the brakes blocks as required. Good lights, proper mudguards, continental four seasons tyres...jobs a good un :)

Its a kinesis with old campag gear. In the 80's it used to be me dads old 531 road frame from the 50's with suntour gear and random other bits and pieces.

Like others, I like to ride on the back lanes in the peak district, which are generally gritty and sh1tty.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”