Saddle Recommendations?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
notsoblue

Saddle Recommendations?

Postby notsoblue » Sun Jan 06, 2013 23:40 pm

Evening chaps.

I appear to have worn out my Selle Italia C2

Basically where it should be a fairly flat top it now dips down in the middle and as a result makes it pretty uncomfortable for anything over 20 miles. I guess the pre-christmas over indulgence has taken its toll... Up until it broke it was actually wonderfully comfortable, and there doesn't seem to be anything else on the market around that price so I'm probably going to just get another one. I'm half-loathed to do this because the last one only lasted just over a year...

So what saddles do you all use? Any hidden gems in the under £75 price range?

itboffin

Re: Saddle Recommendations?

Postby itboffin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 23:49 pm

Why not just buy another one?

£46 @ a well known internet cycling store
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

meanredspider

Postby meanredspider » Mon Jan 07, 2013 06:14 am

Specialized Toupe? Love mine and they seem to be pretty popular
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Mon Jan 07, 2013 07:45 am

Saddles are very personal. If you have found one that works well for you don't mess about for the sake if trying to save a few quid. Just buy another if what is already working really well for you.

fossyant

Postby fossyant » Mon Jan 07, 2013 09:31 am

Stick with the same make if you like them.

SLR Gel Flow ? Got this on the best bike and a XR Trans Am (cheap) on the commuter.

gtvlusso

Postby gtvlusso » Mon Jan 07, 2013 09:49 am

Stick with what you like;

However, the Selle Italia Turbomatic gel Flow Team Edition is like an armchair....even Bikeradar reviewed it as very comfortable. I took a punt and never looked back.

BigMat

Postby BigMat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:11 am

SLR Fibra was £60 at Planet X - absolute bargain for a lovely saddle that is a lot comfier than it looks.

Headhuunter

Postby Headhuunter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:37 am

meanredspider wrote:Specialized Toupe? Love mine and they seem to be pretty popular

Yeah I've got a Specialized BG Romin (or something like that) which is similar to the Toupe I think and it's been very comfortable...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Jonny_Trousers

Postby Jonny_Trousers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:49 pm

fossyant wrote:Stick with the same make if you like them.

SLR Gel Flow ? Got this on the best bike and a XR Trans Am (cheap) on the commuter.

Or if you fancy a SLR Superflow I'm planning on selling mine.

Fireblade96

Postby Fireblade96 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:06 pm

meanredspider wrote:Specialized Toupe? Love mine and they seem to be pretty popular

I quite liked mine too, but when I went to move the bike the other day I noticed it had cracked !
I may be carrying a few extra Christmas pounds but I'm no heavyweight, so I'm not very impressed, it had only done a couple of thousand miles :-(
Misguided Idealist

matt@theforce

Postby matt@theforce » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:11 pm

I've always struggled to find a decent saddle. Up until late last year the best I found was the OEM saddle on my Forme5 from Decathlon but then I was introduced to the Brooks B17, the Brooks is truely awesome.

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:11 pm

Just bought a Romin from the concept store. Looks good, light weight and £75 for the carbon railed one.

You can get measured up as well. Turns out my SLR is too narrow.

Jonny_Trousers

Postby Jonny_Trousers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 13:36 pm

pitchshifter wrote:Just bought a Romin from the concept store. Looks good, light weight and £75 for the carbon railed one.

I got that from them too when I got measured up. I'm not suggesting they're wrong, but I've since read an interesting article by a bike fit guy (can't find it now, annoyingly) where he suggests the standard sit-bone measuring system used by the likes of Specialized is flawed, and that we are being sold wider saddles than we ideally need.

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Mon Jan 07, 2013 14:43 pm

Jonny_Trousers wrote:
pitchshifter wrote:Just bought a Romin from the concept store. Looks good, light weight and £75 for the carbon railed one.

I got that from them too when I got measured up. I'm not suggesting they're wrong, but I've since read an interesting article by a bike fit guy (can't find it now, annoyingly) where he suggests the standard sit-bone measuring system used by the likes of Specialized is flawed, and that we are being sold wider saddles than we ideally need.

Proof will be if it stops the pain. They said I can take it back used to swap it out which I thought was a nice touch..

Jonny_Trousers

Postby Jonny_Trousers » Mon Jan 07, 2013 16:22 pm

pitchshifter wrote:
Jonny_Trousers wrote:

Proof will be if it stops the pain. They said I can take it back used to swap it out which I thought was a nice touch..

That is good service, and the Romin is a great saddle. May I ask what pain you're suffering?

kelsen

Postby kelsen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 22:42 pm

NSB, I have one of these for sale.

Selle Italia Flite Genuine Gel

No box but it's brand new and never been used. It's a spare as I already have one on my commute bike. £50 plus postage (or collect in Central London). PM me if you're interested.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:22 pm

Very impressed with my Bontarger Inform RXL on the MTB, really soft feeling despite minimal padding, carbon reinforced shell and Ti rails, RRP is about £80 but I got it for 1/2 that!

pitchshifter

Postby pitchshifter » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:39 pm

Jonny_Trousers wrote:
pitchshifter wrote:
Jonny_Trousers wrote:

That is good service, and the Romin is a great saddle. May I ask what pain you're suffering?

If I ride hard in the drops for long durations the next day its just tender where it shouldn't be and its clear you have been sitting on a whole bunch of nerves :shock: .

Rode the Romin home last night and there was a significant difference. I felt I was actually sitting on my sit bones, but then this morning I wasn't sure I could tell any difference at all. Could probably do with a rest day for the pain to pass to make any significant conclusion on the new saddle though.

Didn't you buy that SLR with the big cut out? not get on with it?

vermin

Postby vermin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:40 pm

You can have the one that came OEM on my Scott for free. It's a cheapo Selle Italia somethingorother.

Jonny_Trousers

Postby Jonny_Trousers » Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:43 pm

pitchshifter wrote:
Jonny_Trousers wrote:
pitchshifter wrote:
Jonny_Trousers wrote:

If I ride hard in the drops for long durations the next day its just tender where it shouldn't be and its clear you have been sitting on a whole bunch of nerves :shock: .

Rode the Romin home last night and there was a significant difference. I felt I was actually sitting on my sit bones, but then this morning I wasn't sure I could tell any difference at all. Could probably do with a rest day for the pain to pass to make any significant conclusion on the new saddle though.

Didn't you buy that SLR with the big cut out? not get on with it?

I can relate completely. I'm actually having a decent period off the bike (very frustrating) to try to give my body a break. When I get back to it I think I'll try an Adamo saddle. Good luck with the Romin!

Return to “Commuting Chat”