I thought my shed was secure...

Motion sensor alarm
Security Light
2" steel secuirty bar
Top class 5 level padlocks
Coach bolted hinges

I never thought anyone would take the roof off. How wrong was I

This happened last night:

My Cube was stolen, along with my lad's bike and a few other bits.

Hope it serves as a warning to anyone else that hasn't yet internally bolted their shed roof down. :(
2015 Cervelo R3 DI2 - black & white
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Camus

Re: Shed Roof

Postby Camus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 pm

Just wow, sorry to hear that and hope you can get things recovered. Yet more proof of the general deplorability of certain sections of society. Guess the next logical step is to replace that shed with a nuclear bunker.

There are thieves in my area tailing people on nice bikes by car so they can find where the bikes are stored, then pop back later for the spoils. Some utter ***** have also been setting booby traps, (cables/ropes tied between trees and loosened rocks) on the mtb trails at a local reservoir.

Bobbinogs

Postby Bobbinogs » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:45 pm

That's rotten that. Just goes to show that you really cannot stop a determined thief (I once was so concerned about getting burgled in Liverpool that I made the back of the flat impregnable...they came in through the front door whilst I was away one week). I finally solved the problem though by moving away from Liverpool :) (joke, btw!)

Your bike thieves must have known that the bike was in there and been fairly confident that the noise they made would not get reported, which is a horrible thought.

BigJimmyB

Postby BigJimmyB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Sorry for your loss.

The shed does say (with the bar on the door) - "Valuables inside".

All a thief needs is the means and time (opportunity) and your hard-earned is gone.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Griffsters

Postby Griffsters » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Must be gutting.

I've come to the conclusion that at some point someone will have a go at our shed as I have no choice but to keep my bikes in there. I have the normal level of security but at the end of the day its a shed, if they want them they are gonna get them. I've made sure they are insured!

I've also added contents away from home that covers them as I can see a rise in 'bike-jackin' whilst out riding. Sad, but I think its only going to get worse.

Danlikesbikes

Postby Danlikesbikes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:01 pm

B******s lets hope they try the same with copper from a power exchange and get it wrong.

Looks like you'd put a lot of work into the rest of the shed as well, but as Bobbinogs says looks like they knew what they were after.
Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.

IC.

Postby IC. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:10 pm

BigJimmyB wrote:
The shed does say (with the bar on the door) - "Valuables inside".

Believe it or not, the shed was bulked up like that because 13 months ago, the bas***s got in through the door and took my Boardman. The Cube replaced the Boardman. At that time it was just a padlock - but they actually chewed through the hasp with bolt cutters instead.

It's a no win situation though. Either I leave it insecure and not draw attention to it, or bulk it up and offer a challenge. I honestly never considered they would take the roof off.

I understand I'm being followed, or scouted, or whatever. I honestly don't know what I can do. If I leave it in the house, what's to say they won't go after it there too? Then there goes the TV and everything else too.

I'm properly, properly gutted. I just stood there looking at it jaw dropped this morning.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
Cube Streamer - stolen

Navrig

Postby Navrig » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:19 pm

Was there glass in the window?

Probably worth blocking that up so they can see.

A timber shed is always going to be an easy target - a crow bar would open a corner.

Sorry you lost your gear.

Camus

Postby Camus » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:31 pm

It's a sorry indication of the state of this country when you should even have to think about whether you're drawing attention to your prized possessions by being security conscious, (that's a terrible catch 22 on its own - don't lockdown the shed, get stuff taken due to lack of security / maximum lockdown, get stuff taken since bolts & bars are an advert to thieves), or whether the shed roof will be dismantled overnight, ridiculous!

I guess the worst thing from your perspective is that they know you have bikes now and they also know that if they're not in the shed then they've been moved indoors. It's that psychological impact that's sometimes worse than the actual loss of property which hopefully is insured.

The only thing I could think to suggest would be to replace the shed with or add (since I'm assuming the shed is used for general storage too) a purpose built bike unit made from thick metal, or bricks and mortar with a substantial door. As Navrig says, wood is more vulnerable. Alternatively I have a source for land mines removed from Angola.

Peat

Postby Peat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 13:50 pm

How about a ground anchor? If the shed is on a concrete slab or plinth, a big thick upside-down 'U' shaped bar bolted both ends underneath the shed. Bikes etc chained to that. Its a bit of work to do, but might be enough to put them off.

IC.

Postby IC. » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:02 pm

Peat wrote:How about a ground anchor? If the shed is on a concrete slab or plinth, a big thick upside-down 'U' shaped bar bolted both ends underneath the shed. Bikes etc chained to that. Its a bit of work to do, but might be enough to put them off.

It's only on flag stones. Rented house too so not much I can do about that.
Bolting the bike to the floor of the shed though is definitely something I'll be doing.

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
Cube Streamer - stolen

laurentian

Postby laurentian » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:15 pm

Could you drill through the shed floor and bolt into the flagstones?

Other than that, these are relatively cheap, dead easy to install and very effective: http://www.anchorsystems.co.uk/db_helicalanchors.php

I guess you'd need to make small hole in the shed floor but I bet they would work a treat.

I am at a loss as to the lengths some people will go to to nick other peoples hard earned and much loved stuff. W***ers.

Hope you get sorted quickly.
Wilier Izoard XP

snoopsmydogg

Postby snoopsmydogg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 14:19 pm

I had a similar shed set up OP and having the big bar across the front only gave them something to use as leverage. Luckily I had moved out of the property after splitting with my ex, they waited until she went out one day jumped the fence and pulled the front of the shed off.

If they had been a couple of weeks earlier there was a couple of motorbikes in there.

BigJimmyB

Postby BigJimmyB » Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:30 pm

How about a motion-sensing light with CCTV, fixed to house overlooking shed (i.e. out of reach)?
A colleague has one. It has a usb stick that you can retrieve and view any recorded footage. Might help identify any future intruders. I think you can also get door alarms - so light on, CCTV activitaed and noise from your shed might all help?

I'd also suggest fixing any locks/anchors with bolts, then rounding off the heads.

As for the roof, perhaps some grilling underneath, again fixed by (rounded off) bolts.

It's sad you have to consider all this, but the only thing you can do is present enough to them to make them think again and pi$$ off.

Look out on eBay/Gumtree and in any local ca4H converters/pawn shops too.

Best of luck.

seanorawe

Postby seanorawe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 15:46 pm

Surely there is a way of hiding some sort of GPS tracker on your bike. I know you can get fake lights with a gps in them but thieves already know to rip any lights off

ad_snow

Postby ad_snow » Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:00 pm

I registered my bike with the local police and they put a GPS tracker "ImmobiTag" underneath the seat post which is supposedly impossible to get out and it unfolds like an umbrella once it has the space. Then you register it online and if it goes missing the police can track it. Mine was free through work but you can get them here for £15 - https://www.immobilise.com/view.php?sta ... &product=2.

HTH.

Edit: Just read they aren't GPS trackers - I was clearly lied to! ;) But it does provide proof the bike is yours if it's recovered.

Monty Dog

Postby Monty Dog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:12 pm

Commiserations - many household insurance policies require a ground anchor and a Gold Sold Secure lock for your bike when stored in a shed.
Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..

smidsy

Postby smidsy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:00 pm

What about Shed Shackle.

http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

Ok so the shed is still the weak link but at least they have to take a large chunk of shed and the red metal braket with your pride and joy - might just deter them enough to go to someone less prepared instead.

I have a ground anchor and shed shackle so look elsewhere Mr Thieving Scum Bags. :evil:

Perhaps having a list of bikes in the signature is not wise - I may indeed remove them. :roll:
Yellow is the new Black.

Careca

Postby Careca » Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:06 pm

You can always keep your new bike inside. That's where I keep mine. Will save a lot of money that you'd have to spend to turn the shed into a fortress. One good thing about keeping it inside is that it's always well cleaned after each ride!

Werbo

Postby Werbo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:15 pm

Have you never seen home alone? All you need to do is leave Micro Machines on the floor and they are screwed.

Return to “Road General”