Cleat position on new shoes

General bike chat that does not fit elsewhere
Kim10

Cleat position on new shoes

Postby Kim10 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:46 pm

Hi – have somebody got an easy and reliable way of setting up cleats on a new pair of shoes. I have been using a pair of shimano R220 but got a new pair of Bont A-two for Christmas.
When you look at the carbon sole on both shoes the shape is quite different between the shoes so visually this makes it difficult to see how the new cleats needs to be positioned. Are there ways to do it that ensures the new cleats is set up like the old?

Any advice appreciated.

ALIHISGREAT

Re: Cleat position on new shoes

Postby ALIHISGREAT » Tue Jan 08, 2013 16:51 pm

I was thinking about this the other day.. I think it involves buying a new set of cleats and access to a turbo trainer..

keep the old shoes intact and then you have a benchmark.. then set up the new shoes with the new cleats and compare the feel and position to the old ones.

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:05 pm

Put the shoes on and mark the middle of the ball of your foot on the shoe. Position this mark over the pedal axle.

This is the usual start position, but I found I moved mine around a lot to get it right, still not sure I ve got it 100% correct! Road shoes seem to be much more difficult to get right than MTB ones for some reason.
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

jouxplan

Postby jouxplan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 17:46 pm

Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
Trek Madone 5.9 2006
Trek Madone 5.2 2004
Cougar Custom 1995
Viscount Aerospace 1982
Some mountain bikes gathering dust

matthew2811

Postby matthew2811 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 18:41 pm

Good choice of shoes, I have a pair and really like them. I just put my cleats fully back and have them a little off the centre line towards the outside to bring my feet in closer together. But that's my preference. Bear in mind that the Bont's have a low stack height so their sole is almost definitely going to be thinner than on your current shoes and if that's the case you will need to lower your saddle a little to keep your leg extension when pedaling the same as before. (And then lower your bars to match).

giropaul

Postby giropaul » Tue Jan 08, 2013 19:26 pm

Assuming that you are comfortable with your existing cleat position on your current shoes, this is what I do.

Using a spare pair of insoles in the existing shoes (can be cheapo ones, cut to size of your cycling ones) I mark the position of the centre line of the cleat on the insole. A caliper helps here, but isn't essential.

The insole can then be transferred to the new shoes, and the centre point for the cleat marked.

As always, a very small fetting may be needed on the first few rides.

HasselHough

Postby HasselHough » Tue Jan 08, 2013 20:07 pm

jouxplan wrote:Have a read of this - it will help a lot

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blog/2011/04/power-to-the-pedal-cleat-position/

This ^ +1
Cube Acid 2011 MTB
Boardman Road Team....... yes i have had the BB re-greased :-)

Kim10

Postby Kim10 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 08:11 am

Many thanks for the help and advice. I will have a go and get them set up as close to the old shoes as possible and then get the bike on the turbo to fine tune things.

tiredofwhiners

Postby tiredofwhiners » Wed Jan 09, 2013 09:05 am

'Paint' around the existing cleats with Tippex, and let it dry. then remove the old cleats and fix the new ones within the Tippex outline. The Tippex will take a couple of rides in the wet to come off.

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 00:17 am

ddraver wrote:Put the shoes on and mark the middle of the ball of your foot on the shoe. Position this mark over the pedal axle.

this is the correct position and should always be the position regardless of shoe brand/shape/material

was your old cleats fitted properly?

basically get a strip of white electrical tape stick to the side of your shoes...inside faces

then do up your shoes to comfortable tightness

then feel along the side of your shoe the ball part of your feet and draw a line

then fit the cleats on so the centre of the cleats matches with the line drawn...and fit them straight...

and then get on turbo and cycle around a bit adjust angle and lateral position to give you good crank clearance...but not too much
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

ddraver

Postby ddraver » Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:14 am

ricky1980 wrote:
ddraver wrote:Put the shoes on and mark the middle of the ball of your foot on the shoe. Position this mark over the pedal axle.

this is the correct position for Ricky1980's

FTFY
We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
- @ddraver
- Blog-http://davekio.wordpress.com/

Return to “Road General”