Tyre help

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
blablablacksheep

Tyre help

Postby blablablacksheep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 23:00 pm

So ive been using some continental gators on my bike and they have been doing very well but im not as impressed as i hoped id be with them.

Maybe its because ive just been very unlucky or maybe just having too high expectations.

So looking to change.

Im looking to get a good training tyre, something with some protection but not too much weight, ie must be same or less than gators.

Im looking at either
Continental GP 4 Season Folding Tyre £35
Continental GP4000 S Tyre £31
Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp £28
Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Tyres pair for £60

Or i might just buy another gator skin set of tyres and put it down to bad luck?
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Mr_Mojo

Re: Tyre help

Postby Mr_Mojo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 23:05 pm

Michelin Pro 4 Endurance?

ILM Zero7

Postby ILM Zero7 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 04:46 am

these: Continental GP4000 S Tyre £31
http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
[b]Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2

blablablacksheep

Postby blablablacksheep » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:26 am

See what a few more peeps say, but just spoke to someone who has the ultrmo tyres and been told they are very fast but are as thick as a balloon so useless for any training pretty much.
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

mhj999

Postby mhj999 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:07 pm

ILM Zero7 wrote:these: Continental GP4000 S Tyre £31

+1
Sensa Giulia 105

northpole

Postby northpole » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Depends on how much p**cture protection you are seeking. Following suggestions, protection increasing from 1 - 3:

1. Michelin Pro 4 Service Course

2. Conti 4 Season

3. Schwalbe Durano Plus

Peter

ricky1980

Postby ricky1980 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 23:14 pm

didn't know Michelin Pro 4 is even a puncture proof tyre nor was the GP 4000s...neither tyres has any anti puncture layers (Michelin's Protek shield and gatorskin for Conti) - also these are SLICK tyres with no groove for any water withdraw from road surface so not really ideal in any moist conditions

Conti 4s is same and less than gator in the sense has same puncture proof layer but got less rubber or different compound and made lighter. not sure about ultremo in terms of puncture resistance. But Durano is known for its durability

Specialized Armadillo is another heavy duty puncture proof tyre like Durano Plus.

not sure what you use your bike for. but the fact that you have gator skin on atm means you use it for commute?

if so you will need some kind of puncture resistance therefore Conti 4s would be the choice or Armadillo Elite as Ultremo seems to be a slick tyre also.

i am just not a fan of slick on wet roads...personal thing :shock:
Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg

jumbosausage

Postby jumbosausage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 00:10 am

All a tread pattern does on a road tyre is hang on to grit, glass and other undesireable bits that will cause damage (making you buy more)! The tyre is not wide enough to aquaplane like a car, motorcycle, lorry etc. The grip of the tyre comes from the rubber compound.....nothing more.
Tread is on some road tyres because quite a few people like you, expect it.
I can assure you, as will many others that good quality slick tyres work perfectly ok in wet conditions.

nawty

Postby nawty » Thu Jan 10, 2013 07:43 am

A recent thread on "if you could only ever have one tyre" gave an overwhelming response in favour of the Continental GP4000 S and the Conti 4s was popular too as an all year 'round option.
Cannondale CAAD 10 Ultegra
Kinesis Racelight Tiagra

bendertherobot

Postby bendertherobot » Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:34 am

ricky1980 wrote:didn't know Michelin Pro 4 is even a puncture proof tyre nor was the GP 4000s...neither tyres has any anti puncture layers (Michelin's Protek shield and gatorskin for Conti) - also these are SLICK tyres with no groove for any water withdraw from road surface so not really ideal in any moist conditions

Conti 4s is same and less than gator in the sense has same puncture proof layer but got less rubber or different compound and made lighter. not sure about ultremo in terms of puncture resistance. But Durano is known for its durability

Specialized Armadillo is another heavy duty puncture proof tyre like Durano Plus.

not sure what you use your bike for. but the fact that you have gator skin on atm means you use it for commute?

if so you will need some kind of puncture resistance therefore Conti 4s would be the choice or Armadillo Elite as Ultremo seems to be a slick tyre also.

i am just not a fan of slick on wet roads...personal thing :shock:

Both pro 4 and gp 4000s have puncture protection. Also tyres don't need tread. Aqua planing on a bike would need you to travel at upwards of 100 mph
My blog: www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)

dwanes

Postby dwanes » Thu Jan 10, 2013 09:42 am

Especially on a 23mm tyre there is so little of the tyre in contact with the road that a bit of tread isn't going to make any difference to grip.

buzzwold

Postby buzzwold » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Loving this post as I'm looking to upgrade my tyres from the woeful Hutchison Nitros on my Bianchi to something lighter and faster rolling.

Interesting upgrade in Cycling Plus this month suggested the following in order of upgrade with 3 being the best

1. Hutchinson Intensive
2. Michelin Pro 4 Service Course
3. Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (apparently the DD variant adds additional toughness)

Now I know that Cycling Plus always favour the racing solution so I'm torn between 1 and 2 as I think option 3 is too race oriented.

Looked at Contis but write ups vary.

Final bit of advice, have you checked the websites of Wiggle, Evans et al. The reviews can be helpful.
Someone's just passed me again

cougie

Postby cougie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:43 pm

GP4000s by far. They've not let me down in years.

(crosses fingers)

rich164h

Postby rich164h » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 pm

buzzwold wrote:1. Hutchinson Intensive
2. Michelin Pro 4 Service Course
3. Schwalbe Ultremo ZX (apparently the DD variant adds additional toughness)

Now I know that Cycling Plus always favour the racing solution so I'm torn between 1 and 2 as I think option 3 is too race oriented.

The Michelin's are equally as race orientated though. No idea about the Hutchinsons.

Rob Noall

Postby Rob Noall » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:23 pm

Motivated to reply after long time lurking because I am in same position looking to replace Gatorskins on Winter bike/commuter. I also have experience of running Ultremos on my best bike for last 2/3 years.

FWIW my experiences do not support the Conti fan club which often contributes to questions on tyres. For summer racing/fun I think the Ultremos ride better and grip just as well as Conti 4000S. Ultremos might not be quite as durable and I have had the coloured versions crack up/perish where the coloured compound breaks away from the black. But the all black version is the best to my mind.

The Gators have done a good very good mileage but for grip they scare me after Ultremos and they have had more than their share of punctures which rather defeats the alledged merit of riding them. So for winter the choice for me is either Conti 4 season or Durano and experience leans towards Schwalbe.

At the price below the faster tyre (and slightly greater risk of a puncture!) of the Durano S looks pretty compelling!!

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k373/a ... black.html

Robin'

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:56 pm

For winter use a few options:
1. Conti 4 seasons: Very similar to the GP400s tyres but with an extra layer of puncture protection. Good grippy tyres but for commuting you might want something more heavy duty as they have very thin sidewalls.

2. Hutchinson Intensives: They get very good reviews but I have no experience with them.

3. Vittoria Rubino Pro tech: Basically a more beefed up version of the Rubino pros which has reinforced sidewalls and a different compound of rubber which is supposed to work well in the wet. However reviews said they were not as grippy in wet conditions compared to the Conti's and Hutchinsons.

4. Schwalbe Durano performance: For me these give the best compromise in performance, grip and puncture protection and they are cheaper than the other options.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

The Cyclist of Catan

Postby The Cyclist of Catan » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:07 pm

Three of us riding on Gatorskins earlier this week managed to suffer 4 p's between us. And I'd already had two a couple of days before :(. Half thinking of switching to Marathon Pluses!
They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.

Wallace and Gromit

Postby Wallace and Gromit » Thu Jan 10, 2013 18:32 pm

The Cyclist of Catan wrote:Half thinking of switching to Marathon Pluses!

The nuclear option! I've got a pair of those babies on my run around bike and I suspect they'd survive a nuclear explosion. They do take a while to rev up to speed, though...

I've got some Vredestein Fiammante DuoComps on my winter bike. I won them in a raffle at the LBS and they are not the prettiest tyres out there, but they roll and grip well enough. ~£18 each at Wiggle. Just shy of 300g each, but seemingly impervious to punctures. I've ridden one and a half winters on them (3000k so far) with no breaches. In fact, there seems to be no sign of wear at all. Other than the looks, the only downsides I've encountered are that they are quite hard to fit and feel a bit skittish in low temperatures.

TOM14S

Postby TOM14S » Thu Jan 10, 2013 19:20 pm

IMO Michellin pro 4 service course or endurance depending on level of puncture protection required. I've tried lots. the same people on this forum go on about conti's 4000, 4000s 4seasons, gator skins etc. half of them have probably not even tried other tyres.
Last edited by TOM14S on Thu Jan 10, 2013 23:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cougie

Postby cougie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 21:38 pm

I've used marathon pluses on an adventure race where most people rode mtbs. They handled offroading and rocks no bother. Great tyres if you need that kind of protection.

Return to “Road Buying Advice”