Lbs installed headset without cutting steerer

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
rjprey

Lbs installed headset without cutting steerer

Postby rjprey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 15:28 pm

My Fault for not checking it before I left the shop, but I was pretty adamant how many inches of spacers I wanted.

The fork hasn't been cut just left looking rather ridiculous as you can imagine; just a case of taking it back or is it damn hard to get the parts back from inside the fork?

ride_whenever

Re: Lbs installed headset without cutting steerer

Postby ride_whenever » Wed Jan 09, 2013 15:42 pm

If they've not done it properly then just calmly say that it wasn't done right. Definitely don't go all guns blazing!!!

It is a quick job to drop the forks out, hammer the star nut down or remove the carbon bung (assuming it isn't one of the bonded in ones) and chop it to the correct length.

Zingzang

Postby Zingzang » Wed Jan 09, 2013 16:11 pm

What is the total height of spacers you've been left with?

rjprey

Postby rjprey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 16:42 pm

45mm

rjprey

Postby rjprey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 16:53 pm

ride_whenever wrote:If they've not done it properly then just calmly say that it wasn't done right. Definitely don't go all guns blazing!!!

It is a quick job to drop the forks out, hammer the star nut down or remove the carbon bung (assuming it isn't one of the bonded in ones) and chop it to the correct length.

I wasn't planning on going mental, they're the only shop in my (new) area so I'd like to stay friendly!

I'm mostly annoyed because I wanted to start building this thing tonight and the shop is 90 minutes there and back.. I'm confident I can cut the steerer myself, it is just a tube, but headsets baffle me.

At least I'll have plenty of spacers for future builds!

ride_whenever

Postby ride_whenever » Wed Jan 09, 2013 16:56 pm

Take your time and use a sharp blade and you'll be fine.

Headsets are really simple, put it back together the way it comes apart. So label everything and have directions for orientation (it matters!)

The stem holds the headset together, all the top bolt does is pull the bearings snug into the cups/frame. So you only ever (essentially) adjust the top bolt when the stem is loose, tighten the top bolt until there is no play in the headset and no tighter. Then do up stem bolts to torque.

maringirl

Postby maringirl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 23:01 pm

It may be the LBS left it that way just in case you were not happy with the height and needed to move it up a bit? Better to leave it too long than cut too short. Don't be too harsh on them...

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:09 am

You don't even need to cut the steerer yet. Just take off the stem and spacers, put the spacers ABOVE the stem, then do everything back up.

IT looks silly, but works fine. Then you can check your position and make sure you like it. Once you're perfectly happy, THEN cut the steerer.

(P.S. Cutting the steerer dead straight is important, and not as easy as you might think).
http://www.cyclespeedtours.com

Bespoke and 5* cycle trips based in Palma, Mallorca.

paul_mck

Postby paul_mck » Thu Jan 10, 2013 08:32 am

it doesnt have to be prefectly straight to be fair. sacrifice an old spacer to guide the hacksaw blade will help get it flat.

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 am

paul_mck wrote:it doesnt have to be prefectly straight to be fair. sacrifice an old spacer to guide the hacksaw blade will help get it flat.

Indeed - short enough not to reach the top cap and long enough to be held properly and securely by the headset bolts. I'd have thought any wobbliness in between the two would be fine!
Faster than a tent.......

nferrar

Postby nferrar » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Presumably there's a stack of spaces above the stem already? Cutting it is simple, if it's a carbon steerer then it's likely a bung-type nut in the steerer to which are easily removable. If it's a metal steerer and they've fitted a star-fangled nut then you should still be OK as you want it lower in the steerer than it is so just need to hammer it down a bit further (remove top cap, re-screw in the top cap bolt into the SFN and tap gently the top of the bolt with a hammer to force the SFN further down, just don't do it too far ;)

Yossie

Postby Yossie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:21 pm

I must admit that although I can't stand incompetence, the shop may well have left it like this because they weren't too sure how much you wanted left on the steerer (message may not have come through, you may not have told them definitly, a hundred of other potential reasons) - fair play that they have done it like this rather than chopping it down and you finding that its too short.

As per above post, I'd use this as an opportunity to test different stem heights - set it to how you want it, whack the spare spacers on top, ridd for a couple of decent long ridds and see how it feels: try something new as see what happens.

At the end of the day though it'll end up slammed as thats the only way to have it. Anything else is communter style.

Slamming the stem also gives you an additional 3mph top - scientifically proven.

Re cutting down: as above: nice clean saw blade, sacrifice a spacer or old stem, nice clean file to take off any burrs: do a search on here about how much steere to leave above the stem for compression.
This is only a joke by the way, I am in no way implying directly or otherwise that there is any kind of link or similarity between BR and North Korea :)

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:07 pm

Rolf F wrote:
paul_mck wrote:it doesnt have to be prefectly straight to be fair. sacrifice an old spacer to guide the hacksaw blade will help get it flat.

Indeed - short enough not to reach the top cap and long enough to be held properly and securely by the headset bolts. I'd have thought any wobbliness in between the two would be fine!

It depends.

I like to have my steerer as close the top cap as possible so there is no 'dead' space. I measure it to the nearest mm. So there is just a gap of about 1mm between the top of the steerer and the top cap.

If the steerer hasn't been cut quite straight, it could touch the top cap in one or more places, and so not work.

Also, a wonky cut, looks crap.

rjprey

Postby rjprey » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:42 pm

Thanks for all the comments

Since spoke to the shop and the guy who did the job wasn't the person I'd handed the bike to hence the mis-communication.

Yes, decided fiddling with the bar height for the next few weeks is a good way to go but I'm a bit wary of having the top cap so far from the thread balanced on all those spacers..

nferrar: cheers for the clarification on how to move the SFN further down, did think it would involve a heavy thing.

The list of stuff to get when building a bike is ridiculous..

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:47 pm

Extra steerer sticking out the top is just poor aethetics, unless you are knocked over your bars in which case your goolies might take a bashing.

I'd wait until you've settled on the ideal stem height, then take back to the shop and ask them to cut the steerer to the optimum length (no spacers on top).
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:48 pm

rjprey wrote:I'm a bit wary of having the top cap so far from the thread balanced on all those spacers..

Makes no difference, the threaded rod does nothing once the stem is tightened onto the steerer. Wouldn't worry about it.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Rolf F

Postby Rolf F » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:53 pm

bernithebiker wrote:Also, a wonky cut, looks crap.

This is the real reason! :lol: Even hidden under a top cap, I'd hate to have a wobbly steerer tube cut!
Faster than a tent.......

drlodge

Postby drlodge » Thu Jan 10, 2013 14:45 pm

Just use a cheap plastic mitre box, like this
Find me on Strava

keef66

Postby keef66 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:31 pm

drlodge wrote:Just use a cheap plastic mitre box, like this

And resist the urge to cut it at 45 degrees

bernithebiker

Postby bernithebiker » Thu Jan 10, 2013 15:44 pm

keef66 wrote:
drlodge wrote:Just use a cheap plastic mitre box, like this

And resist the urge to cut it at 45 degrees

:lol:

I also use a pipecutter, just to score a fine cut all round which will be perfect, then finish off with junior hacksaw.

Return to “Workshop”