Advice - Which Bike?

Here is the place to post the more serious issues surrounding commuting, bike and kit questions, and buying advice
Gaz79

Advice - Which Bike?

Postby Gaz79 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:15 pm

Hi all,
Sadly I recently had my Carrera Subway Ltd stolen and I'm now looking for some advice with regards to a replacement bike. Fortunately my bike was insured and I've now got a voucher for £350 to spend on a replacement. My options are limited as I can't really increase my budget and I have to spend the voucher in Halfords...

My commute entails a 15 mile round trip, 4-5 days a week, predominantly on roads and cycle paths. I was very happy with my Subway which had served me well for over 2 years and therefore i'm tempted to buy the most recent version. Or should I use this as an opportunity to try something different? Would I be better off trying one of the Road bikes that are available within this budget at the moment? I like the look of the Gryphon but they only appear to have it in a large frame which isn't suitable as I'm only 5'7''.
Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Gaz.

iPete

Re: Advice - Which Bike?

Postby iPete » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:48 pm

Can't be much else at Halfords in that price bracket?

Is your route flat, perhaps you'd enjoy and get better value from a single speed but again, don't know the Halfords range.

oxoman

Postby oxoman » Wed Jan 09, 2013 21:57 pm

You could always get the disc version of the subway or go for the Zelos road bike. It gets reasonable reviews, just change the pedals for something better and the tyres to something better than stock ones. With any money left you could get yourself a decent lock as well.
Moda Bolero with Shimano 105 Triple
Dawes Giro 300 Winter / Wet Commuter
Giant Anthem 27,5 SX

Pnev

Postby Pnev » Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:02 pm

Put £70 towards it and get the boardman hybrid race?

Edit- sorry missed the budget bit, but it would really be worth the xtra £70

davis

Postby davis » Wed Jan 09, 2013 22:05 pm

The Carrera Subway is still a really good buy at the price. I'd say go for one of those again (at about £270) and spend the rest on bits. Make sure you get a decent (i.e. not a cable) lock.
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

The Rookie

Postby The Rookie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:45 pm

My commuter is based on a Gryphon frame (photo in sig), it makes a good commuter and is certainly much quicker than a Subway, with some fettling mine is sub 10Kg and I can keep with most commuting road bikes.

Gaz79

Postby Gaz79 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 22:32 pm

I am very tempted by the Boardman Hybrid but money is tight and not sure I can stretch to it. Looks like i'll probably go for another Subway and spend the rest on a lock etc. Considered a single speed and a road bike but I like the versatility that the Subway offers.

Return to “Commuting General”