Which Bike Computer?

What bike and bike bits should you buy?
jksullivan94

Which Bike Computer?

Postby jksullivan94 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi Guys,
Im looking to invest in a proper GPS bike computer and getting rid of my 20 quid halfords wannabe. The problem is, they all look very similar and i have no idea where to start looking. Ive been mainly concentrating on the Garmin Edge models, as they seem the most popular, but they are also very expensive (im a full time university student).
I need the computer to be able to post to STRAVA, which i think most of them do, and of course keep track of speed and distance, but i would also love one with a sat-nav type feature so i dont get lost (it happens far too often). I dont need cadence or heart rate.
Im quite happy to buy used, but i dont really want to spend over 150.
Any recommendations? Any input would be helpful.
Thanks,
Jamie

bobones

Re: Which Bike Computer?

Postby bobones » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:10 pm

Second hand 705 would be your cheapest option for mapping. Other than that 800 or new 810 have mapping. 500 is great, but doesn't have navigation on the fly, only navigation for courses you preload. 200 work work for you if you're never going to use HRM, cadence or power meter. Bryton and Mio are other options but I'd probably stick to Garmin. Smartphone with Strava app or iPhone with Cyclemeter app are also decent options. Best to keep your phone in your pocket though.

maddog 2

Postby maddog 2 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 13:51 pm

should be some deals coming on the 500 now the 510 is out.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:27 pm

Garmin 500 is great. Only the 800 gives you navigation and at what your looking to spend I don't think you will be able to afford a device that gives you on the fly navigation.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

UH DH

Postby UH DH » Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:39 pm

Sort of butting in to someone elses thread, so sorry about that, but as you guys seem to be talking about the Garmin GPS systems anyway, it seems sort of relevant.

When you use the Garmin GPS stuff, it says you then upload data to Garmin Connect, but I don't want to do that, I want to use the recorded data for private use. Is that a thing thats possible, or can you only view the recorded data online?

Cheers.

danmitch

Postby danmitch » Thu Jan 10, 2013 16:51 pm

The Garmin Edge 200 is great - I am not interested in HR or cadence so it's perfect, also easy to move from bike to bike and assuming you are able to set up your course on a computer in advance, it will still give basic navigation.

@UHDH - you can use Garmin Connect and still keep your data private, you aren't forced to share it.

There are some great, very comprehensive reviews of these at http://www.dcrainmaker.com

wilo13

Postby wilo13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 17:10 pm

UH DH wrote:Sort of butting in to someone elses thread, so sorry about that, but as you guys seem to be talking about the Garmin GPS systems anyway, it seems sort of relevant.

When you use the Garmin GPS stuff, it says you then upload data to Garmin Connect, but I don't want to do that, I want to use the recorded data for private use. Is that a thing thats possible, or can you only view the recorded data online?

Cheers.

I don't think have to upload it to Garmin Connect. You can download a thing called Garmin Training Centre (basically a software package on your computer), which will allow you to view your ride data without loading it to Connect. However it might be mandatory for you to open an account on Garmin Connect but I am not 100% sure. Furthermore some Garmin devices transfer information via wireless medium using ANT+, therefore I don't thing there is anyway of getting around it then as they send the ride info directly to connect.
Carrot cake or Flapjack?

Return to “Road Buying Advice”