New bike, head or heart?

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
Veronese68
Lives Here

New bike, head or heart?

Postby Veronese68 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:23 pm

So I've got a pass to get myself a new bike on Cyclescheme so limited to £1k. I want drop bars and disc brakes. Should I buy the bike that makes the most sense or something that floats my boat?
One of these would be ideal. Good spec for the money, suits my purposes. I quite like some of the details like the way the rear caliper is mounted. But...
...this just does it for me more. Or do I spunk the money on a Kinesis frame, wheels and some brakes then swap the rest over from my Kona?
If I ever make a decision this thread must be forgotten and under no circumstance will anybody be allowed to have any good ideas after that point.

rjsterry

Re: New bike, head or heart?

Postby rjsterry » Fri Jan 11, 2013 23:36 pm

Heart: that Pinnacle is just a bit... well, agricultural. Aesthetics matter, and that Cotic is (remarkably for a cross bike) quite a looker.

Talking of which I saw someone on a Cannondale Super X, and the forks... good grief, I've heard of mud clearance, but that was ridiculous. You could have fitted 3" knobblies and guards.
1997 Giant Peloton 7200 - FCN 4 (5 if it looks like rain)
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
1980s BSA 10sp

"Be there, eat sausages, gain ultimate respect"

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 00:00 am

This is a bit like being asked to tell you which one of your sisters you should marry.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

PeteMadoc

Postby PeteMadoc » Sat Jan 12, 2013 06:23 am

The Cotic is pretty nice. You could look at the On One dirty disco, pretty much the ultimate cross bike for £1500 or they do a frame and wheels pack for £999 which is a steel, might be overkill if you don't race cross though.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/ZXO ... ame_bundle

But yeah definitely heart before head. I love the look of the Van Dessel frames but they are pricey and hard to source.

If it's not for racing and sticking to your budget (just) I'd go for the Genesis Croix de Fer. Beautiful bike that ticks all the boxes.

http://www.harryhallcycles.co.uk/m1b69s ... RS_GB/9626

EDIT: and why am I up at 6.20am? Because my 6yr old just puked everywhere... nice

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Sat Jan 12, 2013 07:51 am

I nearly bought the Kinesis, but bought the 5T instead. More than welcome to have a look at it if you want. Still only frame and fork only atm, mind.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

bobinski

Postby bobinski » Sat Jan 12, 2013 08:20 am

I bought the Kinesis and had it built up with bb7's, Alfine 11 hub gears and a dynamo front light. I had a pompetamine frame before. Its a lovely ride, Lighter than the pomp,stable without feeling at all dull and reasonably spritely pulling away from lights. Strangely smoother than the pomp even though the Kinesis is an aluminium frame. I have the red which really is closer to brown but guy in my lbs has the white frame and it looks even better-especially when clean! Takes guards, rack etc.

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:20 am

I have had the Pinnacle Arkose (model before that one) for about 18 months now. It's a great bike, well specced and has guards fitted for commuting duties. It even has the original tyres on it, so I really shouldn't complain. But....I'm thinking of something else. I really want a Pompetamine (and always have, really). I 'm considering selling the Pinnacle and my Spesh Hardrock to fund the purchase (n-1, I know)

For me, the Arkose was definitely a head purchase. Should have gone with my heart in the first place!

bobinski

Postby bobinski » Sat Jan 12, 2013 14:38 pm

BelgianBeerGeek,
I have the Pompetamine frame still, medium in white with a 90mm white stem. Will be putting it in the classifieds at some point but if you are interested let me know. The medium was too small for me and i am only 5 ft 9 with shortish legs so be careful with sizing.

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Sat Jan 12, 2013 15:10 pm

I think I'd always just buy a frame and fork and then build up what I wanted. Always go with the heart on these matters, especially if there's an option that perfectly satisfies the head as well. Is there any way that the boring Pinnacle is more practical? Not really.

Personally I'd go for the Croix de Fer frame set (if I really, really had to have disks) a mate at work just got one, it's surprisingly light and looks ace. Then I'd build up some lightweight-ish wheels to go with it.

First Aspect

Postby First Aspect » Sat Jan 12, 2013 18:45 pm

Heart, always go with the heart. No bike is perfect, so if you get one you don't really like to begin with, those imperfections will bug you all the more.

One word of warning, if this is a bike to work scheme, you can only get a complete bike, not frame and fork.

roger merriman

Postby roger merriman » Sat Jan 12, 2013 19:05 pm

Another vote for heart, The Cotic and Kinesis Bikes, both are easier on the eye, in somewhat different ways. The Pinnacle isn't a bad looking bike, though doesn't seem to be the bike you want?

look forward to bumping into you and new bike at some point!

UndercoverElephant

Postby UndercoverElephant » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:57 pm

First Aspect wrote:One word of warning, if this is a bike to work scheme, you can only get a complete bike, not frame and fork.

Some shops are more relaxed about what constitutes a complete bike than others. I would imagine that selling a frame, forks and the build-up would be fine for many.

BelgianBeerGeek

Postby BelgianBeerGeek » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:06 pm

bobinski wrote:BelgianBeerGeek,
I have the Pompetamine frame still, medium in white with a 90mm white stem. Will be putting it in the classifieds at some point but if you are interested let me know. The medium was too small for me and i am only 5 ft 9 with shortish legs so be careful with sizing.

I'm 6" so it sounds a bit small for me. The On-one sizing guide suggests a large frame. Thank you anyway.

davis

Postby davis » Sun Jan 13, 2013 22:22 pm

Yes, the Pinnacle ticks the boxes. My god it's dull though.

Go with your heart. You want something you want after all...
Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 22:30 pm

You're all quite correct. Well it was kind of what I was hoping you'd all say.
I saw someone else test riding the Pinnacle today. I was on my way home, just up the road from Evans and I waited to let a cyclist through a gap. I cast an eye over as it went by and it just didn't look anything special.
I'm going to go to the London Bike show at the weekend and see what else is on offer too.
CJ, I'd love to cast an eye over your Kinesis. I'll be in touch.

prawny

Postby prawny » Mon Jan 14, 2013 06:05 am

Another heart vote, you'll always want the one you wanted, you just end up spending more money getting there, bit like women.

Although, I do like the pinnacle, I think it looks pretty badass
Saracen Dirttrax Disc
Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015
Voodoo Bizango - 2014

Veronese68
Lives Here

Postby Veronese68 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 22:23 pm

Right, so I had a go on the Pinnacle and a Genesis Croix de Fer. The Pinnacle is lighter and has 105 rather than Tiagra. But the Genesis felt livelier to ride, it also felt faster. Although I don't know that it actually was.
But...

bobinski

Postby bobinski » Tue Jan 22, 2013 23:08 pm

I would...

cjcp

Postby cjcp » Tue Jan 22, 2013 23:18 pm

Do it.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Sharkyssurfers

Postby Sharkyssurfers » Wed Jan 23, 2013 09:13 am

my speccy secteur sport disc is around that price as well, 700x25 rims, new sora gearing and disc brakes its a pretty ok ride might be one to consider
Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1

Return to “Commuting Chat”