Easton Vista SL freehub dead?

Ask for advice or share your fettling tips
SCHeckled

Easton Vista SL freehub dead?

Postby SCHeckled » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:31 pm

Hi,
The rear wheel on my 2010 Cube Agree (Easton Vista SL) has recently been making a harsh metallic noise signalling to me that it is time to stop ignoring it & remove the cassette and investigate the problem. I've no great experience of doing this so bare with me, but I have replaced both rear cartridge bearings and discovered the noise unsurprisingly is coming from the freehub assembly. I have removed this with a 12mm allen key and washed it out (initially very rusty deposits) and then soaked in oil but to no avail - its sounds as harsh as ever and has developed a 'death rattle' which sounds like something is ratting around inside it when put back together & free-wheeling on the bike.
Firstly, can anyone tell me if the freehub is the same as the Easton EA50 etc as I can't find anything to confirm this (other than it looks identical to the EA50 freehub advertised on the JE James website!) - I'm sure however that it's not the same as the earlier Vista 'Velomax' type.
Secondly, is it worth opening the unit up to 'attempt' repair or do these symptoms sound familiar of a bike which has been ridden for the last two winters etc and basically means the unit is dead.

Any advice gratefully received.
Tim
Lapierre Zesty 714
Transition Covert 29
On One 456C
Cube agree GTC Race

ugo.santalucia

Re: Easton Vista SL freehub dead?

Postby ugo.santalucia » Sat Jan 12, 2013 20:53 pm

Rescuing a freehub is often a waste of time. Before seeking a replacement, check the state of he ratchet ring. They wear too and once they are gone, the hub is gone too, I am afraid

CarlosDSanchez

Postby CarlosDSanchez » Sat Jan 19, 2013 22:24 pm

If you find the correct replacement hub can you post details here? I also need to replace my easton vista freehub.
Dolan Preffisio
2010 Cube Agree SL

ADIHEAD

Postby ADIHEAD » Sat Jan 19, 2013 23:39 pm

I know two guys with those wheels and the freehubs failed on both. First guy just took them to LBS, who took 3 weeks to get hold of one. Second guy took to a mutual friend who searched for the part but couldn't find it online. In the end it went back to the supplying dealer, TRI UK, who eventually got hold of a new freehub and replaced it. I seem to remember it was around 3-4 weeks. If you can't get an answer online/here/Easton's website about compatibility with EA50 freehub then you may as well just take the wheel into an Easton dealer and let them do it. It takes no time to replace so there won't be much labour charge.

ellj22

Postby ellj22 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 15:36 pm

I believe these wheels are OEM and cannot be purchased aftermarket. The Vista SL is a wheelset they used to produce around 2007 if I remember correctly and was replaced by the EA50 SL??? However they most likely use the same freehub as the current EA50. Might be worth going on the Extra UK website as they are the distributor and looking for a local dealer who may stock replacement freehub.

http://www.extrauk.co.uk/product/detail ... ares/2212/

If it is a specific freehub then you may have to go through a Cube dealer that could be a lot lengthier process.

You should be able to knock the old bearings (2 of) out of the freehub and replace with new ones, which will be a lot cheaper and quicker as they are probably quite a standard size. Providing the freehub mechanism itself is still in good condition.

Return to “Workshop”