Do you find you're missing a certain gear?

New to Cycling? Want some advice? Start here...
p1tse

Do you find you're missing a certain gear?

Postby p1tse » Sun Jan 13, 2013 21:39 pm

As a newbie and only my 4th time out, I found on near flats one gear the resistant wasn't enough whilst the other my legs felt more tired. I guess it's down to fitness and strength?

JackPozzi

Re: Do you find you're missing a certain gear?

Postby JackPozzi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 21:43 pm

Can be avoided by getting a closer ratio cassette, but that generally leaves you with less options when you hit the hills

Mikey23

Postby Mikey23 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 21:51 pm

And working out what is best for you in every situation which only comes with experience and practice

ShutUpLegs

Postby ShutUpLegs » Sun Jan 13, 2013 21:52 pm

Change gear on the the front sprocket?
I Like Black Bikes

ChrisAOnABike

Postby ChrisAOnABike » Sun Jan 13, 2013 22:01 pm

No disrespect, but I can't imagine that someone that's only done four rides is in any position to decide that he needs a closer ratio cassette.

It's impossible to advise without knowing more of the OP's riding style. My guess is that he isn't used to a higher cadence, and so thinks that the lower gear is too low. Whereas the higher gear is quite likely too hard, and the legs give out.

My advice FWIW:

- in the harder gear, push harder
- in the easier gear, pedal faster

@OP - what chain rings and cassette do you currently have?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

stinger53

Postby stinger53 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 22:15 pm

My guess is that he isn't used to a higher cadence

That's what i found when i started road bike. i used to mountain bike was was used to a harder gear.
but now i find it fine now that i am used to the higher cadence

nolight

Postby nolight » Mon Jan 14, 2013 02:21 am

p1tse wrote:As a newbie and only my 4th time out, I found on near flats one gear the resistant wasn't enough whilst the other my legs felt more tired. I guess it's down to fitness and strength?

Impossible. You are saying with 10 rear gears to choose from and cadence range from 60 to 120rpm, and assuming you are on flat and front high gear you pedal 4th gear at 120rpm and 5th gear it suddenly drops to 60rpm?

rich164h

Postby rich164h » Mon Jan 14, 2013 09:32 am

No, he's just saying that one was slightly too hard (low cadence) and the other was slightly too easy (and therefore fast). Nothing as dramatic as you've hinted at but just enough so that it feels like the correct gear for that speed is missing and is entirely related to the reason why people want close ratio cassettes. although, as already said, without know how/where the OP is riding we can't say whether swapping to a different cassette would be a wise decision.

I've had this before and it's as much to do with the conditions at the time and also how I'm feeling on that particular day. A few minutes later and the road condition would change and the problem goes away.

Hoopdriver

Postby Hoopdriver » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:38 am

ChrisAOnABike wrote:No disrespect, but I can't imagine that someone that's only done four rides is in any position to decide that he needs a closer ratio cassette.

It's impossible to advise without knowing more of the OP's riding style. My guess is that he isn't used to a higher cadence, and so thinks that the lower gear is too low. Whereas the higher gear is quite likely too hard, and the legs give out.

My advice FWIW:

- in the harder gear, push harder
- in the easier gear, pedal faster

@OP - what chain rings and cassette do you currently have?

I agree - there is no way you can tell much of anything after four rides total.

p1tse

Postby p1tse » Mon Jan 14, 2013 21:08 pm

Thanks for replies
I didn't even know you can get different ratio cassettes

Only done 4 x 12 miles

HenryTheHoover

Postby HenryTheHoover » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:22 am

I know what you mean p1tse .

Some times you can find something inbetween by shifting on the front and twice or so on the back.

Sometimes its just how it is.

If you want to get scientific about it you could divide the number of teeth on each rear sprocket into the number of teeth on your chainrings. You should then be able to work out on paper all your gears in order from the easiest to the hardest. It can be good to do this as it shows you what overlap you get. I.e. similar gears irrespective of what chainring you are on.

Return to “Road Beginners”