Cycling holiday with baby

Come and join in the banter: discuss here anything you want, whether bike related or not!
londonlivvy

Cycling holiday with baby

Postby londonlivvy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 16:51 pm

As many of you know, the boyf and I decided to complicate our lives and have a small bean. Who's fab, obviously, but who complicates things somewhat. As many of you are parents and also lovers of bikes I'm hoping your collective wisdom will be able to sort us out with a brilliant holiday that combines both.

Boyf and I want to go on holiday mid April (no choice about this as its around his uni dates - he's doing a masters). Originally we'd thought about skiing but think its likely to be a bit grassy by then. So thought of a cycling / active hols instead. Now he has had enough of cycling in the rain, so was thinking canaries / Crete / Cyprus for semi guaranteed warmth and safeish roads and a short flight. Though I'm told that canaries are hellish windy? Anyway, regardless of destination, so that I can cycle/have a sleep/ have time to read a trashy mag we will need a hotel with some sort of child care options. Child will be approx 5 months by mid April.

Thoughts? Suggestions? The mark Warner / neilson things don't start til May and the powder Byrne and Scott dunn hols are excruciatingly expensive.

Thanks everyone

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Re: Cycling holiday with baby

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 17:18 pm

First off, many congrats!

Now, down to business. Cycling holiday with baby. Hmm.

Ok, practicalities. Are you going to take it in turns to go cycling, or use child care to look after jnr? Are you going to take your own bikes (because the idea of taking bikes and luggage and a baby and luggage for a baby causes even me to raise an eyebrow at your ambition).

Realism: knackered much? As I recall, we went on our first foreign jaunt with 66 major at five months or so. We were crushed. She'd had colic for three months and pretty much refused to sleep anywhere other than on us. All we wanted was a rest. We went to Barcelona and did a bit of sightseeing.

Holidays are pretty good times for big developmental steps because jnr has you both all to him/her (which is it, btw) self. We had a v cheap break in Venice in a s/c apartment just loafing around. How keen are you to do proper active stuff?
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

gtvlusso

Postby gtvlusso » Tue Jan 15, 2013 17:37 pm

Congratulations!!!

Assume you have a van or a bus?

You mean you actually have some money! Man, I was and still am held to ransom by kids and costs! Our single most expensive yearly outgoing is the family holiday - It ******* breaks the bank!

As for biking holidays, they left during the deterioration of my fashion sense.....There is just too much to organise carry and think about with kids. Little juniors can do nothing! Crawling ones can cause mischief and will whinge if something is not instant and running ones are just insane and won't sit in a bike seat for more than 30 mins.

In all seriousness, the only place we found in the UK was in Cornwall; They pretty much do everything for you: http://bedruthan.com/ - They have baby monitoring, so, you can leave junior in bed while you nip downstairs to get bladdered and have a romantic meal...for once.

However, childcare comes at a price - either it goes with you at your cost - or you take the chance and find it locally......

We found some places in France, but again - it was rolling on for £1k per week including local childcare (1 year and over) + ferry + fuel + food.

Kids eh!

clarkey cat

Postby clarkey cat » Tue Jan 15, 2013 17:40 pm

leave baby at home with Grandma.

go on holiday.

that's what we do.

It's great.

walkingbootweather

Postby walkingbootweather » Tue Jan 15, 2013 17:54 pm

+1

Holiday are best 9 months before babies not 5 months after.

That said we took our first abroad twice before her first birthday. The first time we took grandparents along to Tenerife, and the second time just the three of us went to Sorrento. Mum and Dad took turns to be active, but mostly it was all about chilling.
Nobody told me we had a communication problem

londonlivvy

Postby londonlivvy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 18:50 pm

My cycling ambitions are quite small. A couple of hour long explores would do me. And I'd be happy on a rental bike. I would also like to do some pottering about and even (if location permitted) a couple of hours sailing. that would make me very happy. The boyf wants to do crit racing this summer so will inevitably have bigger cycling ambitions and that will probably mean his own bike. Or a very nice rental bike.

Child care wise, I can't see us taking it in turns as he just wouldn't. So if I want freedom (which I do, albeit in a low key way, a couple of hours a day without having to think about & tend to every need of small baby would be ace) then we need to out source that. My parents are old and not suitable. His mum is bloody brilliant but sadly lives on the other side of the world so isn't an option.

Location wise, we have a great option already in Cornwall, my parents. Who, whilst old and not suitable for active care of baby are very happy to be left with a baby monitor whilst we go to the pub. Or go for a walk at lunchtime. Or whatever. But south Cornwall weather isn't reliable and the cycling isn't, in my experience, all that. It's either tiny tiny 20% steep lanes which locals use too fast, or fast scary a roads.

Gtvlusso We have some money still. He's at uni three nights a week after work and is studying the rest of the time and I'm at home with a baby. Spending money opportunities are slim! I suspect this gets less the case with time and we will be in the eurocamp arena (or hols at my parents).

You have a point re tiredness, Greg. I'm shattered from looking after the baby and he's shattered from work and uni. But neither of us are any good at endlessly sitting about. So some stuff to do would be ace. Preferably with two wheels :lol:

TailWindHome

Postby TailWindHome » Tue Jan 15, 2013 18:56 pm

07.04.2013 Paris - Roubaix France --
14.04.2013 Amstel Gold Race Netherlands --
17.04.2013 La Flèche Wallonne Belgium --
21.04.2013 Liège - Bastogne - Liège Belgium --

Pick one.

Nice cafes, great beer, mussels with chips.....what's not to like?

"ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED? IS THIS NOT WHY YOU ARE HERE?"

londonlivvy

Postby londonlivvy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 18:59 pm

Oh gawd tailwindhome boyf would love that I feel sure. I feel less excited by the prospect of Belgian weather, however.

Does anyone know whether the cycling in Cyprus is any good?

Daniel B

Postby Daniel B » Tue Jan 15, 2013 19:12 pm

londonlivvy wrote:
Does anyone know whether the cycling in Cyprus is any good?

Cycling in Cyprus can be fabulous, but some of it not so good.

Myself and my gf went there a few years back, rented our own place, and did some mountain bike guided tours with a company called mountainbike cyprus - they also rent some reasonable (shimano 105 equipped if I recall) road bikes, so we hired two of them for the duration, and went on 3 guided mountain bike tours - they also lend you camelbak type affairs, which is necessary out there, and we used them when exploring on the roadbikes too.
Most of the rural roadbiking was lovely, some of the more congested cities not so, but getting down to the beach was a lovely ride - and there are plenty of hills in Cyprus if you want to seek them out :-)

They (Al and Kirsty - ex Brit squaddies) collect you from the airport, and will probably take you to a supermarket or two if you ask nicely :-)

It worked out as a very good value holiday, but as to childcare, that I am not sure about, having said that, they may know of a hotel that offers such bonuses.

My only other query would be as to what the weather is like in April - I've only been in September when it is generally pretty good.

Be interested to hear how you get on, and good luck.
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Specialized Langster Monaco SS 09
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Marin Highway One 05 (Drop bar conversion)
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15
Planet X Exocet 2 13
Shared usage: Spesh Tri Cross Sport, Kona Minute

londonlivvy

Postby londonlivvy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 19:29 pm

Thanks Daniel. That sounds like a great company to know. I'll drop them a line as if they've been there a while they may well know of hotels with childcare or some other cunning plan.

Yay. I knew bike radar would come up trumps again.

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 19:45 pm

I am really sorry but I can't really see how you will be able to do some cycling or sailing if your partner is not prepared to share the burden of the baby's needs, unless you can convince your parents to go with you on holiday or you are prepared to leave the baby with strangers that you trust. We are going to Allant (in Galan, Mid-Pyrenees) who offer free babysitting service for up to 3 hours but even then I imagine we will take it in turns to take care of our 4 month old baby.

May be you should wait until after the summer, the baby will be 8 months or so by then (eating solids and also be able to sit up).

Is the baby not breastfeeding anyway?
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2
All-City Macho Man Disc - FCN 2
Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra - FCN 2

gabriel959

Postby gabriel959 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 19:49 pm

sorry if that came out a bit blunt but I reckon the taking care of the baby is key here. I know because I have done it and am doing it again, in similar circumstances to yours, this summer.
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Giant SCR 2 - FCN 2
All-City Macho Man Disc - FCN 2
Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra - FCN 2

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:26 pm

Why?

It is your job now to suffer then suffer some more and when you think its getting better ....No its only just getting started.

Your only reward is you get to travel on a packed aircraft with all those people whoever left their little monsters at home, shame on them.

PS. I also do motivational speeches, marriage guidance and baby sitting.
Rule #5 // Harden The fark Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

londonlivvy

Postby londonlivvy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:38 pm

Gabriel, yes I am breastfeeding but with the wonders of expressing I should be able to get the odd couple of hours' freedom without worry. I am happy to leave her with appropriate, well qualified, strangers, occasionally, otherwise it's not actually much of a holiday for me, just the same job without all the ease of home. Boyf hasn't ever had sole charge of her and I think he'd prefer us to either do things as a family, or as a couple, rather than tag team parenting. Hence the search for appropriate child care on site.

ITB. Thanks. Such words of wisdom.

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:41 pm

Let's cut to the chase have you tried the breast milk?

I did its foul I really can't see what babies see in it.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Coopster the 1st

Postby Coopster the 1st » Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:44 pm

Congratulations on the baby :)

Majorca would satisfy the cycling part for both of you (including quality bike rental). I'm sure some of the cycle tour companies or bike rental companies could assist in finding baby sitting/child care (I have no experience of this part but you cannot be the first person to have this requirement)
Fair-weather commuter
Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0 in Black - WOW :)
Giant Defy 2 - FCN 4(summer) / 5(winter) - Great bike
Hybrid - FCN 8 - Relegated to the pub bike

Corporate Camper

Postby Corporate Camper » Tue Jan 15, 2013 20:58 pm

londonlivvy wrote:Boyf hasn't ever had sole charge of her and I think he'd prefer us to either do things as a family, or as a couple

I might be out of place here (I'm a bottle of Merlot in...) but it sounds (to me) like he needs to MTFU and do his bit! 5 months and he hasn't looked after the little one so you can do your own thing for a couple of hours? For shame!

Greg66 Tri v2.0

Postby Greg66 Tri v2.0 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 21:13 pm

itboffin wrote:Let's cut to the chase have you tried the breast milk?

I did its foul I really can't see what babies see in it.

Did you try getting the mother pissed first?

Quite difficult to served chilled from the source though, I'll grant you.
Swim. Bike. Run. Yup, that's definitely what I'm supposed to be doing.

Bike 1
Bike 2
Bike 3

itboffin

Postby itboffin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 21:17 pm

Its these oh so practical tips why I like you, some times

Wheelspinner

Postby Wheelspinner » Tue Jan 15, 2013 21:57 pm

There's a couple of BR users who do touring ops who may have some advice, give them a PM.

"MRC1" and "mallorcajeff".

Return to “Commuting Chat”