Doprah - SPOILERS

Talk about competitive road cycling in all its forms
nic_77

Doprah - SPOILERS

Postby nic_77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 01:33 am

Goodness that was close... two hour powercut just ended!
Spoilers thread is tongue in cheek, but I bet someone wants to watch it in the morning without knowing the result :)

Macaloon

Re: Doprah - SPOILERS

Postby Macaloon » Fri Jan 18, 2013 01:58 am

Precautionary and hilarious thread title. Well played. Going to watch this on Twitter. And a couple of live blogs:

Excellent Matt Seaton & Doc Hutch | http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ja ... -live-blog

WSJ dude | http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2013/01/1 ... interview/

Lance is going to say that his cheating was enabled and facilitated by 'the authorities' including the UCI, since he was the source of all the new money coming into the sport. 'How else could he 'pass' 500+ tests?' he will ask. Tune in Friday when Lance will name names, and directly address those he persecuted.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

k-dog

Postby k-dog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:04 am

Wow. What a fantastic start.

Yes. Yes. Yes...
I'm left handed, if that matters.

GMB

Postby GMB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:10 am

Although it's no surprise - it's still a shock to hear those admissions come from his lips. He looks relieved.
Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg

deal

Postby deal » Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:26 am

Claiming his comeback was clean, and trying to avoid answering question about pressurising riders to get on a program. :roll:

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:31 am

Three biggies so far:

1. Yep, I doped in all 7 tours
2. He didn't dope in comeback, or at all after 2005
3. He never forced anyone else to dope

Singled out CVV as a liar, and said he (CVV) continued to dope after leaving team... oh that'll be at Liberty Seguros and the CSC.

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 02:58 am

Admits that 1999 samples did fail the 2005 EPO re-tests.
Denies TdS positive and cover up.
Confirms that E O'R told the truth about the Cortisone coverup, and that he's reached out to apologise.

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:09 am

Refused to confirm or deny the Betsy hospital room story... too much legal weight resting on that perhaps?
Was at pains to point out that he didn't call her fat. What a sh*t, doesn't even have the ball to tell the truth on this one.
Last edited by nic_77 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

k-dog

Postby k-dog » Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:13 am

Yeah, that's got to be some sort of perjury avoidance.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:15 am

k-dog wrote:Yeah, that's got to be some sort of perjury avoidance.

I suspect that horse has already bolted for Lance, I think the reason would be that others have lied in their testimony for him on this one... The Oakley woman?? Oh, and thank-you twitter - Kevin L

nic_77

Postby nic_77 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:28 am

This guy is probably crazy. He has said plenty without really saying anything.

Turfle

Postby Turfle » Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:37 am

Some good, some bad, and lots of adverts.

He admitted it though, so that's good.

Teddy Westside

Postby Teddy Westside » Fri Jan 18, 2013 03:47 am

Despite the fact Armstong would have been extremely well-prepared for this interview (as always), i still found it a riveting watch if only because I wondered just how much he'd own up to and how much he'd still avoid. So far, I reckon he's actually admitted more than I expected but he's also cleverly (and, at times, not so cleverly) skirted round those questions he didn't want to be open about.

I'm always uncomfortable hearing the use of "we" even allowing for the fact it's a very American thing in sports to talk as a team rather than an individual (it's been appearing this side of the Atlantic too - in motorsports and cycling - in recent years). Yes, "we" in some cases would mean Lance and his legal team but ultimately it would always be Lance who would give the green light to legal action, given his admission of always needing to be in control.

Now is not a time for gloating that all the staunch Lance supporters were wrong (or in denial), just a time for them to finally admit he's a cheat or at least stop defending him. He's admitted it himself - the mistakes were his and he had ample opportunity to both stop making them and admit them. Others have at least had the good grace to do so much sooner (regardless of what each had to lose being less than Armstrong), though some admittedly also did it to save their own bacon. Still more of course will probably always deny their wrong-doing.

This one man has probably got the distinction of doing both more harm and more good for the sport than anyone else during his time in the saddle. Let's hope the legacy he leaves is not one of turning people away from the sport. If he inspired you to ride, then at least let that be a positive (no pun intended) to come out of this ugly tale...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Focus Cayo Expert (road)
Giant ATX 970 (full susp)
Trek Alpha 4300 (hardtail)
Peugeot 525 Comp (road - turbo trainer duties)

FocusZing

Postby FocusZing » Fri Jan 18, 2013 04:05 am

Clean on the come back? How can he have been, he benefited from all the steroid abuse. No blood dopping? I don't think they see that as cheating/PEDs.

Bakunin

Postby Bakunin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 04:16 am

He never read Tyler's book.
His refusal to answer the questions about the hospital was the most interesting part of the interview.
The comment on CVV was nasty.
Ferrari was brushed aside.
I loved the one ball excuse for testosterone.
It will be interesting to hear him discuss Lemond.
He is not a fan of the UCI.
Seemed to hide behind the fact that he and his mother are "fighters".

For what it was -- it was more entertaining than informative.

As they said in episode of DEADWOOD -- Advances, None Miraculous.

TMR

Postby TMR » Fri Jan 18, 2013 06:29 am

As a former D/Sgt, I found his body language extremely interesting; ear tugging as he was sitting down, mouth guard, nose rub etc.

Have a look at here and compare his body language yourself at key moments: http://www.indiabix.com/body-language/h ... -gestures/

My own perception is that he was extremely guarded, while trying to convey the impression that he was relaxed and willing to talk (open collar on shirt etc). He clearly was holding back in a number of areas.

Personally, I've felt he was guilty since 2009, just after I started cycling. His confession changes nothing for me, but if it's the start of a positive change in the sport then that can only be a good thing.

Kimmage must be feeling cock-a-hoop this morning.
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Rick Chasey
Lives Here

Postby Rick Chasey » Fri Jan 18, 2013 06:54 am

Can't admit to doping in comeback since presumably it's not long ago enough that he can't feel some pain for it.

Should have done the interview when USADA first started sniffing around. Would have saved himself some hassle.

Alan A

Postby Alan A » Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:20 am

All I have seen this morning is the first 1min13secs on The Guardian's website. WOW, what a great start.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/ja ... ah-winfrey

Now, does anyone know if there is catch up or a torrent or vimeo or anything to watch it please?

ben@31

Postby ben@31 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:21 am

The Mad Rapper wrote:As a former D/Sgt, I found his body language extremely interesting; ear tugging as he was sitting down, mouth guard, nose rub etc.

Have a look at here and compare his body language yourself at key moments: http://www.indiabix.com/body-language/h ... -gestures/

My own perception is that he was extremely guarded, while trying to convey the impression that he was relaxed and willing to talk (open collar on shirt etc). He clearly was holding back in a number of areas.

Personally, I've felt he was guilty since 2009, just after I started cycling. His confession changes nothing for me, but if it's the start of a positive change in the sport then that can only be a good thing.

Kimmage must be feeling cock-a-hoop this morning.

I hope you are not sending innocent people to prison on the grounds they rob their nose. I would have thought that proof beyond any reasonable doubt such as CCTV footage, is more conclusive.

Yellow Peril

Postby Yellow Peril » Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:25 am

Rick Chasey wrote:Can't admit to doping in comeback since presumably it's not long ago enough that he can't feel some pain for it.

Should have done the interview when USADA first started sniffing around. Would have saved himself some hassle.

Thanks for the summary guys. Some thoughts and questions

As he is haemorraging results and medals left right and centre (Olympics yesterday) perhaps he is desperate to hang on to some form of TdF "success". Also perhaps he thinks doping on the comeback would appear cynical beyond the pale.

Can anybody enlighten me as to why he singled out CVV?

Return to “Pro Race”