Cheap dropper seatpost

Discuss the eternal "Which fork/bike/tyres should I buy?" questions.
markmark.123

Cheap dropper seatpost

Postby markmark.123 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 07:42 am

Does any one no where I could get a cheap dropper seatpost
carrera kraken

warpcow

Re: Cheap dropper seatpost

Postby warpcow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 08:32 am

How cheap is cheap? The cheapest one that seems worthwhile is the one that goes under the names Tmars, Icelift, Traildrop amongst others.

PashleyRider

Postby PashleyRider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 09:07 am

Make your own using a gas strut, about as cheap as it gets and it works!

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 09:58 am

How do you control that to lower and raise it?

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:12 am

With the seat clamp I guess. I don't think he'll get any money off Dragon's Den.
Last edited by cooldad on Fri Jan 18, 2013 20:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:39 am

PaulOliver wrote:Make your own using a gas strut, about as cheap as it gets and it works!

There's rather a lot of fail going on here :) You must be joking right?

CB75

Postby CB75 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:50 am

is that the new ikea dropper post?

PashleyRider

Postby PashleyRider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 18:56 pm

Its not mine, but it actually works great. The flat section on the seatpost stops it from turning when going up and down. I love how this forum shoots somebody down for trying something that isn't bought from a shop, or for buying something that isn't expensive. Perhaps that is why there are so many generic and dull bikes on here compared to other forums....

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 19:28 pm

Fair point, but how is the up and down controlled?
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

PashleyRider

Postby PashleyRider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 19:39 pm

Seatclamp open, weight of rider drops the post, close seatclamp, go and have fun down a hill.
Seatclamp open, stand up, no weight means the post rises, close seatclamp, sit down and try to enjoy going back up hill.

Obviously it is not as nice as having some sort of easy to reach lever/remote, but for under £20 (inc budget post, some nylon to create spacers and the gas strut) it is a very affordable solution for those on a tight budget who are too lazy to get off thier bike to drop/raise the post

CB75

Postby CB75 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 20:00 pm

by the sound of it i think i would rather get off and manually put my seat up and down! in fact that is actually what i do!

cooldad

Postby cooldad » Fri Jan 18, 2013 20:12 pm

cooldad wrote:With the seat clamp I guess. I don't think he'll get any money off Dragon's Den.

So I was right.
But no - by the time you've faffed around reaching down for the seat clamp, assuming you can reach it, you might as well just do it the traditional way.
I can see a few silly crashes though.
I don't do smileys.

Parktools

bluechair84

Postby bluechair84 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 20:18 pm

How did he get a flat section on the post to stop it turning? Was it something he bought?

PashleyRider

Postby PashleyRider » Fri Jan 18, 2013 21:18 pm

I would imagine a file, seeing as its just soft alloy it would take all of a few minutes to file a suitable flat section out. Spacers were made on a lathe, however he could have just bought nylon in the correct diameter and trimmed it to length.

oki

Postby oki » Wed Sep 18, 2013 20:56 pm

wow, what a bunch of arsey non imaginative replies to a completely logical idea.
tbh i'd just go with a lightweight air rifle spring or similar and use my weight to prevent ball smack but i'd much prefer going to the effort of reaching to save a couple of hundred quid for posts that always have too little adjustment.
around 9cm in general...aka fek'all/pointless (unless your short i guess)

you could probably even create a decent seal using a grommet, modified clamp and pressurize the seat tube.

reminds me of the forum post regarding aligning the stem to the wheel, the one where everyone was quoting park tools and dithering about eyelines and markings....all forgetting basic physics and geometry...the solution..a peice of string attached to both and pulled tight into a triangle . simple simple.

threads like these really make me despair in the human race, and dont forget the creation of mountain biking..modded bikes, not shop bought, bet they got roasted by unimaginative fanboys too. smh.

Woodmonkey

Postby Woodmonkey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 21:05 pm

I align my stem with my eyes? Doesn't everyone?
pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo

dmont

Postby dmont » Wed Sep 18, 2013 21:06 pm

oki wrote:wow, what a bunch of arsey non imaginative replies to a completely logical idea.
tbh i'd just go with a lightweight air rifle spring or similar and use my weight to prevent ball smack but i'd much prefer going to the effort of reaching to save a couple of hundred quid for posts that always have too little adjustment.
around 9cm in general...aka fek'all/pointless (unless your short i guess)

you could probably even create a decent seal using a grommet, modified clamp and pressurize the seat tube.

reminds me of the forum post regarding aligning the stem to the wheel, the one where everyone was quoting park tools and dithering about eyelines and markings....all forgetting basic physics and geometry...the solution..a peice of string attached to both and pulled tight into a triangle . simple simple.

threads like these really make me despair in the human race, and dont forget the creation of mountain biking..modded bikes, not shop bought, bet they got roasted by unimaginative fanboys too. smh.

+1 It's quite a simple concept and very affordable. Very inovative.
Riding - Voodoo Bantu

paul.skibum

Postby paul.skibum » Wed Sep 18, 2013 21:18 pm

I have a Tmars dropper - £80 quid and works pretty well - my only complaint is the occassional unwanted seat up on very rough terrain or botched landings - going to fiddle with it to see if I can iron that out.
Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.

Batmo

Postby Batmo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 21:31 pm

How quickly we forget the Hite Rite.
Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
HP Velotechnik Spirit
Brompton M6
Specialized Camber Comp

jairaj

Postby jairaj » Wed Sep 18, 2013 21:47 pm

dmont wrote:+1 It's quite a simple concept and very affordable. Very inovative.

erm not really. Dropper posts without a handle bar remote don't have any where near as much benefit. You still need to stop to adjust the seat post or risk having a crash. So you might as well just have a standard post. While I applaud the guy for giving it a go and trying to be innovative I don't think he's pulled it off.

Return to “MTB Buying Advice”